Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Yet another Battle of Britain Film query

Yet another Battle of Britain Film query

To promote the BoB film in 1969, was it commonplace to use full size replica Hurricane/Spitfires placed outside cinemas around the country?

I know the film is well covered, I’ve got the Rudhall/Mosley books, read most of the magazine articles over the years, searched the internet and this forum with virtually no mention to my query. As a boy arriving to see the film at the Odeon on High Street, Lincoln in December 1969, I was in awe at the sight of a full size Hurricane fighter perched on the roof of the cinema. According to the local paper at the time, it was a full size replica craned onto the roof to promote the film; I assume it was one of the pinewood replicas? I still have my scrapbook paper clipping showing it being craned into position, and have since acquired a copyright photo of it lit up at night, but little reference elsewhere. I can’t believe this was a one off in Lincoln. Was this a common occurrence around other cinemas in the country to promote the film in 1969/70?

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable fans of the film on this forum that can hopefully add to this.

thanks in advance, JP

Spitfire X4590 (now at Hendon) was placed outside a Grantham cinema in November '70 to mark the film's first showing in the town. It's arrival coincided with Remembrance Sunday.

This one you mean. Not the best of photos unfortunately. ( BAPC68 carrying serial H3426 )

H3426 BAPC68 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

H3426 BAPC68 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Blimey Duxman! You can't ask for a better reply than that! Nice photos!

Couldn't see that happening today. The Health and Safety bods would have the screaming ab dabs.

Best regards;
    Steve

I think the Lincoln Odeon Hurricane was the only replica used.

Apart from a couple of UK extant Spitfires repositioned adjacent to a showing, the French rolled out BS464 to the premiere.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Another picture of the Hurricane

Hurricane rep. H3426 / BAPC68 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

I was right when I said knowledgeable people!, great response, many thanks especially to Duxman & Mark 12.
    Hopefully I've attached a copy of the clipping from the local paper. Maybe the fact RAF Commanding Officers etc were attending, as per the photo comment, made Lincoln warrant the replica on the roof: Jon
    Name:  Odeon 1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  101.3 KB

Very nice...what is the date on that newspaper?
    Ed

as an aside...the Illuminations at Blackpool in the year of the films release had the area around North pier decorated with some of the large models from the film and other suitable set dressing items like parachutes.The switch on was triggered by a Canberra releasing a photoflash just off the pier.

I Saw "Battle Of Britain" at the Odeon New Street in Birmingham around September or October 1969. As did the late Robert Rudhall, who wrote about the experience in the introduction to his book, "Battle Of Britain-The Movie". He recalls the model aircraft on display in the foyer, as do I.
    I also clearly recall a huge table top model tableaux of an RAF fighter airfield as a centrepiece, with Spitfires, Hurricanes and, if I remember correctly, a crashed German bomber. All built from commercially available model kits if memory serves.

Todays "health & Safety" crew would go bonkers at the way the hurricane is lashed to the roof,,,

I wonder what the "'health & safety' crew" would have said about the events depicted in the film?
    In short, an enemy dropping bombs on the population would give them something to really "go bonkers" over!
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Nobody has mentioned - the Odean Hurricane cost 5D.

Thread Information