Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Part Number Formats

Part Number Formats

Hi folks,

I have had a good search and didnt get very far but does anyone know of, or just knows, a rough guide to part number formats used on different aircraft?

I have got my head around section reference numbers and know that EXX-XXX-XXX is Canberra but coming up against a lot of MUR/X.XXXXX or just a letter, period, and 5 or six numbers.

As always any help greatly appreciated!

Ash

Pure speculation ML

But if on a serial number rather than a part number perhaps MU Repair ?
    Obviously incorrect if they are brand new
    I have seen components with a single 'R' added to serial numbers after they have been repaired/reconditioned.
    Hawker/Hawker Squiddely Group used a single letter prefix followed by 5/6 numbers as a part number format.eg A12345

Thanks for the info guys! This is something outside the 26 reference numbers and on the vol 3s I do have they are usually listed as part number headings. Usually they start with a letter A-G then usually 6 numbers with a full stop in between. I have started to notice a bit of a trend. the A.1XXXXX numbers seem to be Gloster Meteor and the higher A numbers are Hawker Hunters?? I am properly confused bu the array of systems they must have used back then.

Yeah Glosters were in the Hawker Siddeley group so a similar part number system might be used.

The 26 prefix is for reference numbers and used to be called section/reference numbers - 26 being the section - followed by the reference number.
    In the AP system there was an 'index of part numbers book' which allowed you to cross reference a part number to a reference number.
    Conversely there was also an 'index of reference numbers book' which you could use to cross refer a reference number to a part number.
    Later on when the nato codes started to be used (NSN - Nato Stock Number) the last 7 numbers of the sect/ref were also used as the number for the NSN

So 26FZ 1234567 might become 6115-99- 1234567 [NSN] (completely made up numbers but hopefully you get the idea)

Thread Information