Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Japanese WWII Aircraft Inspection Stamps

Japanese WWII Aircraft Inspection Stamps

Hello all

First time poster, long time 'consumer'....

I am wondering if anyone on this form knows anything about inspection stamps on components of Japanese aircraft from World War Two, as I am having trouble confirming some information I have seen in other locations on the web.

I identified sections of an A6M Zero during recent travels through the Pacific, while examining a few of the pieces I came across inspection stamps on some fragments of the aircraft. I can identify the Mitsubishi logo, what appear to be part numbers, the SDCH acronym and - the one I can't figure - the number 17 in a small circle; there also appears to be a small Kanji character marked on the pieces that I can't ID (see images).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3196.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	253413
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3199.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	253414

The only references I've seen on the internet to the number in the circle is that it means 'Showa 17', that is, it was made in 1942 - can anyone positively confirm or deny this?

Apologies if this information has been discussed elsewhere; any assistance greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, I cannot help you, however are you aware of this site?

http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/otherres.htm

Hi TonyT, thanks for that - I've had a look at that website in the past and didn't find what I was after, will have another look through though to make sure I've gone over everything properly. I have also tried to join the discussion forums on that site but no luck so far, they seem to be doing everything manually (you have to email for access) but I've had no response to my request as yet.

"If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Slight thread drift, interesting post on link

dit: When I was doing a 30 TDY in Fairbanks, AK, in the mid '70s I took an aerial tour of the area and on a island (oxbow) in a river was a B-25 sitting gear up. Looks like it was going to Russia and didn't make it. The upper turret .50's were sticking up so it didn't look salvaged. If there's that one then there must be more and probably some P-400's? Again, just curious.

Thread Information