Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FC-31 thread

FC-31 thread

zomg zomg its out

the main wing is different and so is the tail

the radome and front fueselage got a lot thicker

It looks so much different. I knew it at first glance. Engine spacing and wheelbase still sure looks mig 29

Tail was Raptor in the J 31 and now F 35 in the FC 31

does look like the f-22 and mig-29 had a baby

and here it is in flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFDuhCYgiE

Why does this need a thread of its own when it could have been posted in the PLAF thread?

If the moderators deleted the TFX thread for the same reasoning, it should be applied consistently.

Yes, I think Y-20 Bacon is making a point. I can't imagine Deino wants serious discussion of a post he first made, spread all over the forum?

Why does this need a thread of its own when it could have been posted in the PLAF thread?

If the moderators deleted the TFX thread for the same reasoning, it should be applied consistently.
    I dunno, why has PAK FA got its own thread, why can't it be discussed in the Russian AF thread? Same goes for the F-35 and Gripen NG.

Why was TFX thread deleted?
    Last edited by Levsha; 12th May 2017 at 11:34.

TFX thread was deleted under the justification that it refers to a plane actually existing on paper only: FC-31 exist, has flown and there are two different prototypes actually running.
    I would prefer a thread on both J-20 and J-31/FC-31 however, just to avoid the actual situation of the PAK-FA one drowning down for sheer lack of sufficient informations (this after having collected XXV +1 iterations).

@ Levsha.ù

Dunno
    Maybe because there are no white people involved ?

Yes the contention was that the T-FX wasn't real enough to be discussed outside of a Turkish Aviation thread. It was pointed out that no-one has apparently had any trouble with the KFX thread of the 6th generation technology thread existing.

I think if Bayar hadn't posted individual threads for each project he wanted to talk about, the moderators would have ignored J-20 Bacon's complaints and stirring.

As it is, he has clearly started this thread (alongside the Chinese aviation topic) because he wants to irritate somebody. I think it is shabby behaviour.

less politicking

more FC-31ing pls.

Chinese media are now saying this will be for the new carriers.

Posted by Marcellogo
    TFX thread was deleted under the justification that it refers to a plane actually existing on paper only: FC-31 exist, has flown and there are two different prototypes actually running.
    This is a fair policy.

I still think China gets too many points for these hybrid domestics.

what do you mean by hybrid?

Hybrid meaning half domestic and half forign designed (Russian engines)

zomg zomg its out
    And here translated ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC-31V2 underside comparison English.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	253404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC-31V2 - 20170511 - 2 mod.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	253405  

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

the prodigal son returns with a bang

how can they tell it got larger with out something to compare the size

if it got larger and kept the same engines, then there's gonna be some thrust issues. the first fc-31 prototype seemed to suffer from this

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Hybrid meaning half domestic and half forign designed (Russian engines)
    This is the very definition of sour grapes.

Also because it would be a very good thing for Russia to sell more engines while they also produce them for MiG-35.

Question is..

will it be as capable as the mig-35?

Quote Originally Posted by Y-20 Bacon
    Should be way beyond that..

Will it keep up ? depends. The Mig 29-35 is a sleazy little jet. Note the engine spacing and the nub in between them

Last edited by KGB; 15th May 2017 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellogo View Post
    Also because it would be a very good thing for Russia to sell more engines while they also produce them for MiG-35.
    Klimov need to do a deep overhaul/modernizing of RD-33. And that pretty soon or big markets like China and India will lose interest and pick other platforms. Not just the Mig-29 linage, but any other platforms whom operate the engine.

@ Y-20 Bacon.

Question is..
    It look like the MiG in some angles but it has a completely, much more conventional configuration.
    No blended wing/body, no engine pods, just the "sting" between the two engines is not sufficient to claim any possible similarity.

@haavarla

The rumors floating around about the fulcrums engines is a bunch of hooey. This jet has been in service for decades. Russia has been building serviceable jet engines with pristine records since the jet engine was invented.

@kgb

you have to forgive her.
    she spends most of the time in the f-35 thread, so its not surprising she's not aware of what's going on in Russia
    so she doesn't know of a few things like
    RD-93 engines
    Russian aircraft having different paint schemes
    or the difference between white, teal, and green
    or left and right

Quote Originally Posted by haavarla
    Klimov need to do a deep overhaul/modernizing of RD-33. And that pretty soon or big markets like China and India will lose interest and pick other platforms. Not just the MiG-29 linage, but any other platforms whom operate the engine.
    It's not that bad, finally, there are not that many other platforms.. Current RD-33MK is technologically roughly on the F404-GE-402 level (~77 N thrust from 1 kg weight, digitally controlled FADEC, cooled blades, IR signature reduction, service life 4k hours). Granted, EJ200 and F414 can do slightly more (~88-91 N from 1kg weight, 6k hours), but the advertised thrust increase to 98 kN for the Klimov should get it roughly on the same level..

Now, get the unit price for EJ200 and RD-33MK in a comparison chart and you'll see what I mean.. given current RUB/USD exchange rate, a twinpack of Klimovs costs ~20% less than a single F414..

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=n3vu4x&s=7#.WRo5cfmGPIU
    Last edited by MSphere; 15th May 2017 at 23:49.

Given the rising weight of FC-31, it would make sense if WS-13 engine is targeting F414's output of 100 kN. IIRC P&W had plans to take F414 past 110 kN.
    Last edited by Multirole; 16th May 2017 at 00:38.

http://www.popsci.com/j-31-stealth-f...oved-prototype
    This uncertainty held until the second, improved prototype first flew on December 26, 2016. The new J-31 prototype is three tons heavier and about 20 inches longer than the original technology demonstrator; it also had key improvements like an IRST sensor, stealthier wings, cleaner burning engines, and an improved radar. In addition to avionics and datalinks that enable sensor fusion, SAC officials state that the production J-31s (which could appear soon as 2019) could have supercruise capability, giving them a leg up over current F-35 fighters. Its WS-13 engines would be replaced by domestic WS-13E or WS-19 turbofan engines to give it that advantage in speed. The combination of the J-31's high speed performance, and suggested payload of 6 PL-12 or 4 PL-21 long range air to air missiles suggests that the J-31 has been optimized as an air superiority fighter, though it can be fitted with a wide array of Chinese precision guided munitions like the LS smart bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Multirole
    Given the rising weight of FC-31, it would make sense if WS-13 engine is targeting F414's output of 100 kN. IIRC P&W had plans to take F414 past 110 kN.
    Russians should be able to make ~110-115 kN wet thrust out of an RD-33-class engine. At least that is the current technological level of Saturn Izd.117 (147 kN out of dry weight of 1,420 kg). Don't know the specs of the future Izd.30, though..

Chinese propulsion is probably not up to that level yet, but they will have learned a lot out of their 117Ss.
    Last edited by MSphere; 16th May 2017 at 00:52.

F414 is currently 9:1 just like EJ200. The former originated in 1970s and the latter was developed in the 80s. 110 kN F414 is still 10:1. By comparison F135 is 11.5:1 and J-20's WS-15 is supposed to be over 10.5:1 when matured. I think it's quite likely 5+ years from now FC-31's WS-13 engines will be comparable to 9:1 F414. It'll be a fairly conservative program for China. Two 100 kN engines should be quite enough for this plane.
    Last edited by Multirole; 16th May 2017 at 05:01.

Thread Information