Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GE2017 take 2

GE2017 take 2

Thread for any and all discussion on the 2017 General Election.

If the other one ever re-appears, I will merge the two of them.

Bruce

I think that Labour will just 'edge' it.

You know what? I don't.

But May will emerge from Brexit with egg on face and JC will have put down a clear marker. Once the whole farago is over and the Tories get no further value from claiming they were anti-foreigner all along, and once Jeremy has lost an election while standing on principle and bowed out having nobly tried, then the election after next - now bought closer by May's self-preserving actions - will see the Tories defeated.

I agree with most of what you say BM, but there are caveats.

In order to win in 2022, Labour need to sort themselves out. Abbot, McDonnell and Corbyn MUST go from the top table. They are a huge turn off for the electorate. Every time you wonder if they might just be able to do it, based on perceived Tory unpopularity, you just have to look at those three. I'm sorry, but I don't see anything noble in their actions. They have destroyed the party in a little over 18 months IMHO. The made it about them, and not about gaining enough electoral support to win through.

By many peoples standards, Brexit will be a failure. Don't worry John, you will be fine, as it already passes your test for sovereignty. However, it cannot possibly deliver on every promise that has been made for it. The Tories know this, and that is the only reason they have called the election now - it gives them another three years to allow Brexit to bed in. This said, it is worth noting that the EU can only function in a benign Liberal environment. The drift to the right across the world may be more of a danger than our little country.

With the inestimable Diane as Foreign Secretary - amen to that.

Maybe after the payment of the €100Billion BREXIT exit payment she wasn't too far wrong on only being able to pay policemen £30 per year....

That's all some of them appear to be worth !

I think that Labour will just 'edge' it.
    Into Oblivion?
    Out of the opposition position and even into an even lower place?
    Into obscurity?

Come on John, finish the sentence

In order to win in 2022, Labour need to sort themselves out. Abbot, McDonnell and Corbyn MUST go from the top table. They are a huge turn off for the electorate.
    That's the understatement of the year, though you forgot to add Emily Thornberry.

" I then suffered a fit of hysterical mirth and was rendered unconscious !"

Quote Originally Posted by Beermat
    then the election after next - will see the Tories defeated.
    This is much in the way we neded Churchill, with all his faults in wartime, but kicked him out for the peace that followed.

My only issue is that the current Labour leadership are so anti-business that they would be unlikely to assure a prosperous journey into the sunlit uplands.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Unless and until they can find another charismatic carpetbagger like Tony Blair they will reside a long time in political limbo.

I think that Labour will just 'edge' i

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy
    This is much in the way we neded Churchill, with all his faults in wartime, but kicked him out for the peace that followed.

My only issue is that the current Labour leadership are so anti-business that they would be unlikely to assure a prosperous journey into the sunlit uplands.

Moggy
    Well that's the problem. If we default to WTO trading conditions, you need to counter that with a business friendly tax regime, and unless Labour change radically, they are obviously not going to do that.

Farron has also shot the Lib Dems in the foot with his handling of a certain gay rights question. I still think they will see an increase at the polls, simply due to being the only pro-EU party. UKIP will probably vote Tory and I see the SNP losing seats above the border, hopefully enough for a Con-Lab coalition (I know, blasphemy) leadership up there.
    Last edited by Ryan; 4th May 2017 at 10:17.

Maybe after the payment of the €100Billion BREXIT exit payment she wasn't too far wrong on only being able to pay policemen £30 per year....
    Juncker and the ever rising Brexit bill remind me of this:

The local elections were held today up here in Scotland. I'm hoping that the country will be a lot less yellow tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm surprised, and tired, that so many in Scotland will endlessly forgive the SNP for failing to deliver on education and health targets. When any of this is pointed out is is still the fault of Westminster, apparently, even though these are devolved issues.

A bit like when Jimmy Krankie was moaning that an independent Scotland would be able to set their own taxes, until it was pointed out that they already could, had been able too for years, but hadn't, and she had then decided to blame Westminster for it!

Well Tories made gains in local elections, surprise surprise.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...scotland-wales

Scottish results, SNP down, surprise surprise:

SNP: 21 (-5)
    CON: 18 (+11)
    LAB: 13 (-3)
    IND: 8 (-3)
    LDEM: 1 (-1)
    GRN: 1 (+1)

Even making allowances for my naturally effervescent optimism, I predict a Labour win at the next General election. I know that practically all on this forum will agree with that forecast but, then, my thoughts, galloping ahead as usual turned to whom or, indeed who would occupy the offices of State ?

Y'know, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Defence etc. etc. My jaw dropped; my EO (effervescent optimism) sagged a notch or three. Beyond her divine fragrance, the bold Diane, I couldn't think of anyone who could step up to the plate who, if nothing else, would provide much mileage for the mischief makers of the Press.

Playing 'Guess the Minister' with Labour is one thing but playing the same game with the LibDems gets even better. Tiny Tim is likely to be dining on thin gruel if by some miracle equal to that demanded of Labour he manages to get an electoral majority. Stop laughing ! Who would he appoint ? I can't think of anyone of any particular merit that I would trust to empty my garbage unsupervised, much less run a Govt. department.

Labour can only win in 2022 if they change.

Don't forget Labour have some key anchors in their leadership, Abbot, McDonnell, Thornberry and Corbyn and until they reconnect them to their anchor chains and drop them over the side, they have as much chance of being elected as Abbot has of getting her maths right.
    I just cannot understand what her electorate see in her, it does not exactly exude faith in their ability to make sound judgements.

Well excuse me !

Stop Press ! New irritating threats from of all places, the EU. I still can't believe.

Herr 'Adolf' Juncker in his starring role as agent provocateur, comments that due entirely to Brexit and the intransigence of the Brits, the English language so far as its use in the EU is concerned will be on its way out.

He didn't go on to suggest a replacement but you can bet your shirt/chemise that it won't be the language of Mutti.

Does that mean Ireland are leaving too?

And who cares? Given what he's been saying lately, it'd be better if we couldn't understand him.

And you thought I was kidding about Diane Abbott

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...PWjQ&ocid=iehp

Stop Press ! New irritating threats from of all places, the EU. I still can't believe.

Herr 'Adolf' Juncker in his starring role as agent provocateur, comments that due entirely to Brexit and the intransigence of the Brits, the English language so far as its use in the EU is concerned will be on its way out.
    And the chief negotiator got up and spoke in English directly after him.

Tony

Diane deserves our sympathy. I just know that you will be among the first not to give way to hysterics. I think that her problem is that she is mathematically dyslexic.

The question is: has she for all time shredded her potential as Prime Minister material ?

More like politically dyslexic.

It seems that a draft of the Labour manifesto has been leaked, according to the BBC 10 o'clock news.

Some more details from the Telegraph, who have seen a copy, can be found here: -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ifesto-leaked/

As predicted, back to the Labour policies of the 1970s!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 10th May 2017 at 21:33.
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Shades of Michael Foot.

However, I'm not sure they have anything to lose with it. It will answer the 'are we left enough' question one way or the other.

Bruce

Thread Information