Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: GE2017 take 2

Incorrect. The Labour vote increased by 3.5m, the Tory vote by 2.3m, making 5.8m in total. UKIP only had 3.8m in 2015 and still had 0.6m in 2017. 0.5m came from the SNP, or about 1/3rd of their vote. 0.1m came from the Lib Dems, or the pro-EU party. Roughly 1.2m more people turned up to vote. So the idea that this was a vote against hard Brexit, as it's being portrayed by the left-wing media is simply codswallop. All the pro-EU parties (SNP, Lib Dem, Plaid Cymru) lost votes despite the larger turnout.

I did not say this was a vote against hard Brexit, did I?

You are making up points to knock down as 'incorrect' as you have little else. As for the 'Left wing media'..they repeatedly point out that no-one can even define what that is, never mind vote against it. They may suggest that there was an element of 'no confidence' in May in the swing, and that is debatable. There would be if there were another snap election. Harking back to Brexit and moaning about media portrayals suggests it's time to catch up.
    Last edited by Beermat; 19th June 2017 at 08:30.

What it is is a clear choice to govern ourselves, rather than share sovereignty.

If that was the case, then the lack of confidence would have reflected in the actual share of the vote, not just the seats. The only things clear from this election were:

Remainers - shut up.
    Scottish independencers - shut up.

It appears (report, D.Tel) that if the Blessed Theresa leaches political support then, David Davis is in the wings to restore order and the kind of Brexit that most of us want.

He gets my vote. Must write a letter of support.

Ryan - I think you will find that this was the position of both main parties. May tried to pretend it wasn't, but that failed.

You really believe the result of any free vote in a free country is for a large proportion of citizens to 'shut up'? That is misguided anywhere, and especially here.

In Britain we are wary of anyone telling us what we think and then standing on that as a platform. That was May's misjudgement. We rocked that platform, just to remind her. One thing we don't do is shut up when told - and that is one of the things that makes me proud to be British - not some 'Difficult woman' thinking she's Farage.

John, I have some spare goat skin if you need it.
    Last edited by Beermat; 19th June 2017 at 11:16.

Doesn't the goat need it?

Ryan - I think you will find that this was the position of both main parties. May tried to pretend it wasn't, but that failed.

You really believe the result of any free vote in a free country is for a large proportion of citizens to 'shut up'? That is misguided anywhere, and especially here.

In Britain we are wary of anyone telling us what we think and then standing on that as a platform. That was May's misjudgement. We rocked that platform, just to remind her. One thing we don't do is shut up when told - and that is one of the things that makes me proud to be British - not some 'Difficult woman' thinking she's Farage.

John, I have some spare goat skin if you need it.
    Was and it wasn't. Corbyn demonstrated an unwillingness to walk away from making deal regardless of how terrible a deal was being offered.

On the contrary, the vote moving away from parties that hadn't got the message on leaving the EU and those talking about Scottish independence was a clear indication for them to shut up.

It makes me extremely unproud to be British that so many people are dumb enough to buy it when one MP comes along and says everyone's wildest dreams can be made come true and that's what happened. May sold reality as it is, Corbyn sold a lie disguised as a dream that could only end in a nightmare.

"sold a lie disguised as a dream.."

How very true and correct but then, he bet on the undoubted fact that he would never have to actually deliver !

meanwhile a white terrorist drives his van into innocent people in Finsbury Park and gets out and shouts "death to all muslims"

Almost immediately there are some sections of the community taking about 'metal health issues' yet didn't do the same when the nut jobs killed people in other parts of the city

Double standards?

"It makes me extremely unproud to be British that so many people are dumb enough to buy it when .........."

I did point out some while ago that here are those on tis forum who, shall we put politely, severely overestimate the electorates knowledge and abilities. But because a certain vote went how they wanted it too they disagreed.

Tell people you'll put £Hundreds of Millions into the NHS or lock in their pensions or whatever, they'll hear what they want to hear and vote for it. You'd have thought politicians would have understood that by now and mitigate against in campaigns and day to day politics.

You sure you didn't invent that ?

It's unlike the BBC to miss an opportunity like that ! They're the ones who would exploit something of that nature for all it is worth - I saw or heard not a sign - anywhere.

Tell people you'll put £Hundreds of Millions into the NHS or lock in their pensions or whatever, they'll hear what they want to hear and vote for it. You'd have thought politicians would have understood that by now and mitigate against in campaigns and day to day politics.
    That bugs the poo out of me, where does it say on the bus that all of those funds will go to the NHS, it doesn't, it says fund it, which would only be a portion of that amount, on neither bus does it say they would pour all of that money into the NHS... why oh why do people keep saying that was a promise on the bus.

they may have said it elsewhere, but it wasn't on the bus
    Last edited by TonyT; 19th June 2017 at 14:17.

I didn't mention a bus?

I'm sure you're cleverer than that though TT, and understand why that flash headline was used, or was the small print on the other side of the bus that we never saw? Even Farage admitted himself that such a headline was a mistake.

"sold a lie disguised as a dream.."

How very true and correct but then, he bet on the undoubted fact that he would never have to actually deliver !
    It's a bit like his supposedly superior response to Glenfell Tower. He never had to respond, that's the whole point. He's essentially unemployed, his only job being to criticise the government and walk round hugging people. Meanwhile, the actual government has to organise the response, securing funds for the homeless, accommodation, organise a public enquiry, organise a criminal investigation, review legislation, review other affected buildings and perform the other tasks of government.

meanwhile a white terrorist drives his van into innocent people in Finsbury Park and gets out and shouts "death to all muslims"

Almost immediately there are some sections of the community taking about 'metal health issues' yet didn't do the same when the nut jobs killed people in other parts of the city

Double standards?
    Now you know why the Middle East ended up the way it did. Muslims commit terror attacks, and eventually people decide they've had enough and tit-for-tat violence ensues.

I didn't mention a bus?

I'm sure you're cleverer than that though TT, and understand why that flash headline was used, or was the small print on the other side of the bus that we never saw? Even Farage admitted himself that such a headline was a mistake.
    That £350m doesn't take into account things like higher education subsidies for 127,000 EU students at UK universities and £0.5bn of EU student debt with absentee debtors or a lot of the other things that have now appeared on the Brexit bill. Or how about state pension, healthcare and social care liabilities for 4 million low income EU citizens further down the road.
    Last edited by Ryan; 20th June 2017 at 10:07.

What superb grasp you have on the history of the Middle East. Muslim terror attacks, of course! Forget the Romans, the Ottoman Empire, even the British. It was all about Muslim Terror Attacks.

Where do you think the 'subsidies' you claim are paid to EU students go? Along with Mum and Dad's money - where do you think THAT goes?

As for the leader of the opposition being unemployed.. he has two jobs. Do you have any idea what an MP is? And what do you think Leader of the Opposition means? Have you ever considered that his job is to lead the opposition? No? Do you believe the Prime Minister does any of that list? Have you never heard of the Civil Service?

Christ on a Bike, Ryan, think before you post.
    Last edited by Beermat; 21st June 2017 at 15:17.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Ottoman Empire were Muslims. And they've had plenty of time to correct themselves since. Nor is the Middle East the only place they're causing trouble. Russia, Asia, Africa too.

They pay the remainder of their tuition fees not covered by the loan.

'Leader of the Opposition' - Paid ranter, a sort of really highly paid protester.

beermat

Are you serious ? Do you mean to tell us all, that JC will be paid to lead the Opposition ? That's a joke too far !

Ryan - When a conservative was the Leader of the Opposition how was that different? If you really don't approve of there being an opposition at all it is clear where your political sympathies lie. John I have always suspected of being a harmless feudalist, and one who, despite the jibes in both directions, does have a clue what's really what. You, Ryan, are altogether something else - to an anti-democrat you are what party spin doctors call (in closed meetings) a "useful idiot". That's not a diagnosis, its a oft-used political phrase.

Really highly paid protester - surely in 'Ryan World' that makes him a 'worthwhile human being' we should listen to, the fact he's highly paid? Unlike those worthless poor people who really should shut up? Careful you don't confuse yourself again.

Yes they pay the remainder of the tuition fees - into the UK bank accounts of UK universities.

John, you want to hear something even funnier? There's every chance he'll be paid about 13k more quite soon.
    Last edited by Beermat; 21st June 2017 at 16:48.
    It's all good. Probably.

Regarding the Queen's Speech

Just listening to Boris being interviewed by Eddie Mair on R4

It is not going at all well for one of them.

And it isn't EM

Jeez,

What with him and my intended, the fragrant Diane plundering the nations wealth in their inconsiderate way, I feel it is time for me to somehow squeeze into the line up at the trough. If it'll enhance my lefty credentials, I'm more than willing to enrol in a trades union and become a highly remunerated waste od space.

Beermat, me a feudalist ? Just as well that I don't know what that means. It doesn't sound very nice. At least not from the mouth of a demonic Trot who aims to project love and solicitude for his fellow at every turn of the screw. I don't think I've got that quite right. Oh well.

Had the demonic trots once. Never eating there again.
    It's all good. Probably.

BM. It wasn't, just another highly paid protester.

That money is actually used to pay UK lecturers and buy and maintain laboratory equipment and other such things.

Indeed.

So the final piece of the puzzle is in place, summary below:

Theresa May to a nurse who hasn't had a pay rise in 8yrs: "there's no magic money tree"
    May to DUP: Here's £1.5 billion so I can keep my job

That does rankle, that and the fact that she has removed it from the Barnet formula.

Exactly, and that £1.5B will come from NHS, defence, police etc. budgets who will have to make more cuts that will further erode their capabilities. Never mind we'll have that extra £350M per week in a few years time to call on......

My suspicion is that the money we save from paying into Europe wont be redistributed in the same way as it is now - so EU inward investment will be replaced by something much more watered down than the current offer.

Much depends on the deal we end up with.

Theresa May's problem is not that she couldn't find £1.5billion to give the nurses a pay-rise, it is that she can't afford (the country cannot afford) to give the whole public-sector a pay-rise!

Spread over the whole NHS that that £1.5billion wouldn't go far; spread over the whole public-sector it wouldn't go anywhere. And that's just this year, the 'problem' for government with a public-sector pay-rise is that it is this year, next year, and every year after that. And increased public-sector costs cannot be passed-on to the customer because the 'customer' doesn't pay, the costs have to be passed-on to the taxpayer, many of whom are also the customer and, unfortunately, many of whom also work in the public-sector.

This is not any indication of how 'evil' Theresa May is, or that the Conservatives are the 'nasty' party, it is an indication of what a massive problem it is for any government to balance the books; even before the financial-crisis New Labour were paying the nurses at a below-inflation rate. And the United Kingdom's financial position was in a far better state than it is now.
    Last edited by Creaking Door; 27th June 2017 at 08:54.
    WA$.

Look.... I have bought a trendy looking shirt to appeal to the youth of today........ but I still clip my pens in the pocket like Mr Bean :P

digitalspyuk.cdnds.net

Thread Information