Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Has the 'Reply with Quote' Button Finally Been Banned?

Has the 'Reply with Quote' Button Finally Been Banned?

It doesn't seem to appear on my iPad anymore.
    WA$.

Yes, chalk up another useful tool binned because of idiots who didn't know how to use it.

This forum has always been better than another one I go to where they copy seemingly pages of comments and a dozen pictures that are seen just above.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Rather a shame, especially on a long thread.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Yes it has been removed and once we migrate over to the new forum when that's up and running, it won't be there either... Sorry but it was an admin decision as folk's abused it way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~
    Rather a shame, especially on a long thread.
    Why? Nothing has changed if you need to quote something. You just have to put a little more effort into it.

But I agree, if people had only thought a little before using the quote button it would still be here.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 1st May 2017 at 12:16.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

New forum?
    WA$.

Moggy wrote:

Nothing has changed if you need to quote something. You just have to put a little more effort into it.

I just wanted to demonstrate how, as Moggy said, it's still possible to quote, using a wee bit of effort to copy and paste and maybe enhance. No big deal to anyone who tries. It's just annoying to lose a quote function. And photos from one post can be downloaded, then reposted anew, if it's really necessary.
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

I think it is a shame....

But don't quote me on that

The only forum I've seen with this ridiculous policy. Is it simply down to lazy and/or incompetent moderators and admin, because I'm not buying the whole 'quote button abuse' story. Forums a thousand times bigger than this, with a million times the traffic, somehow trust their many more users with a Quote button. WIX, PPRUNE, UKAR and Britmodeller all somehow manage. The culture of referencing specific forum posts by the number that appears at the top right, which makes following a thread difficult and, if anything, leads to more miscommunication, is ridiculously clunky and archaic.

Re #10

Well that worked.

Booo!

I do the vast majority of my posting on an iPad or iPhone now; copying and pasting with my fat fingers is a bloody nightmare.

I really do try to be very economical when I quote but even that leads to very laborious deleting of great blocks of text.

The great strength of the 'reply with quote' was that it would 'hot link' you straight back to the post in question, which may have been many pages back in a long thread (or even in a different thread), even if this is still possible with some work, I don't know how to do it!
    WA$.

It also used to be possible to attach photographs to private messages but I couldn't seem to find how to do it last time I tried; is this another 'cutback' that has been made to the forum?
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door
    I really do try to be very economical when I quote
    As ever this is a classic example of the many being inconvenienced by the thoughtless few.

Moggy
    Lazy and/or incompetent moderator

Use the Green Re System (patent applied). You won't need to quote anything. It isn't quite foolproof but would be if, after a deletion, the numbering system was maintained.

I just know that the resident cat will agree !

Totally.

I was consulted and agreed the taking away the button was a good idea, only because I am so lazy and incompetent that I begrudge spending my own time tidying up other people's pointless and often lengthy quotes.

The numbering system changing is a pain.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information