Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: US WW1 collector-pilot Javier Arango killed

US WW1 collector-pilot Javier Arango killed

Awful news. Javier had, I think, the largest collection of Great War aircraft outside of TVAL/Sir Peter Jackson. His aircraft have featured in Phil Makanna's GHOSTS Of The Great War Calendars.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...146320439.html
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Nieuport 28. RIP Sir.

John

Javier was a great guy and good friend. My Rearwin would not have flown without his help in finding parts and I was pleased to introduce him to the Memorial Flight Association where he worked very closely on several projects. A very sad day and my thoughts are with his family.

When a friend built an authentic Pup replica, I became more aware of his collection and deep involvement in WWI and pre-WWII aviation (he also had a Ford Tri-Motor which was recently featured in some publications). As stated above, he was the leading collector, preservationist and authority on WWI-era aircraft in the country.

We have some mutual acquaintances and like Melvyn said above, was a very nice guy who was very committed to aviation history as witnessed by his work as a board member of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.
    Aside from the obvious personal tragedy to his family and friends, this is a huge blow to antique aviation in America.

RIP, and condolences to friends and family.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 24th April 2017 at 14:00.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

That is terribly sad news, and I do hope they rebuild the aircraft, one feels that is what he would have wanted, RIP good Sir, you through your infection for aviation brought the Great War to life for many.

http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.6 times!

Is this the example that was seen at Old Warden several years back or another one ?

Thread Information