Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: RIP Joe Roddis ex 234 and 485 Sqn

RIP Joe Roddis ex 234 and 485 Sqn

I am sad to report that Joe Roddis passed away last night.

Joe joined the Royal Air Force aged 17 in February 1939. Following basic training at Driffield and trade training as a flight mechanic at St Athan, his course was shortened due to the outbreak of war, and he found himself posted to No. 234 Squadron at Leconfield. This was the beginning of Joe's war. He served with No. 234 Squadron through the Battle of Britain, during which time the squadron had moved to Middle Wallop

In March 1941 he was posted to the newly formed No. 485 (NZ) Squadron. Joe was one of the vital members of the ground crew on this New Zealand squadron for the rest of the war.

Post war he served on Washingtons and Canberras, before working for Rolls Royce as a civilian.

If you recognise Joe's name it may be because he took part in the television programmes Spitfire Ace and Battle of Britain with Sir David Jason, and more recently in the 75th commemorations with Tom Neil and Dermot O'Leary.

Joe looked after "the Grace Spitfire" during its time with 485, and was very active with the supporters club.

It really was an absolute honour to have known Joe for many years and I will miss him greatly. I am deeply proud to have been with him at Duxford last year when he was reunited with a Blenheim, a type he knew very well.

I knew this day would come, but really wish it had been further in the future. A lovely lovely man.

FB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  57.8 KB

R.I.P. Joe.
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can; motto RAF 19 Squadron)

http://en.tracesofwar.com/

Aww what a shame. He really did seem to be a lovely gentleman. His recollections of his time during the Battle of Britain with 234 Squadron were fascinating. Another hero from that time now no longer with us. R.I.P sir.

R I P and thank you

RIP Sir and thank you.
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Quote Originally Posted by Fournier Boy View Post
    Thanks ,will have a read in a mo.

Thread Information