Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Popham May 1st

Popham May 1st

Anyone attending? I know it's been deminishing every year & every year I say I won't go next year, but as I'm off work I suppose I may as well lol

Yes depending on the weather!

I think I've talked myself into taking the stall for the weekend.

I didn't attend last year due to getting the old camper van ready for sale and I did not miss it one bit. This year it'll be just "the van" (i.e. no camper) which will make it all a bit more of a hassle.

I could be easily persuaded not to bother, especially if the weather forecast is poor. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Air Ministry; 19th April 2017 at 10:39.
    The garage that keeps on giving

POPHAM 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Anyone attending? I know it's been deminishing every year & every year I say I won't go next year, but as I'm off work I suppose I may as well lol
    Black Knight, are you a long way from home? Do you wanna be free to be me? We'll be going anyway, if only for old times sake, we have a great laugh over the three days we go for and the Red Fort in Overton is a fave after/during. There are still some bargains to be had regardless of the lessened aero presence and its a chance to get some fresher air than in London. Plenty of cheap cutting discs, gaffer tape, magnet pick ups, cheap tools, gloves etc too, to get in for the restoration season.

Urgh weather's not looking good ��

I always feel sorry for this event, seems to have a bad run on the weather, tomorrow is 50/50 for rain, none the less it can be an enjoyable event if the weather behaves itself. Some nice finds can be had from time to time, happy hunting for those attending tomorrow~

Never seen anything like it in all me life!

Sunday afternoon, me, Malcolm G, GOKONE and his pals plus a few others standing/sitting around in an almost empty field. Hardly any visitors, very few traders and the Microlighters mostly packed up and gone by lunchtime. I feel sorry for anyone who paid to enter - at one point, around mid-afternoon, I counted five cars in the visitor's car park, so I assume some poor souls did!

Today picked up somewhat but it was nowhere near the good old days. It stayed mostly dry and the classic cars put on a reasonable presence but otherwise it was a miserable affair. I'm used to the autojumblers hammering their market stalls together at daft o'clock but I could have had a lie in 'til ten o'clock this morning without being disturbed. Very, very sad to see it so run down. Even the clown failed to show up!

Regarding the aerojumble side of it, who knows? I was on my stall and had no time to wander. I didn't hear any shouts of delight from anyone?
    Last edited by Air Ministry; 1st May 2017 at 20:23.
    The garage that keeps on giving

That's a pity, very fond memories of Popham, apart from the cold. Thanks for the report. Hopefully the (mostly indoor) Old Sarum in a fortnight will be a better day out for all concerned.

As an attender of 90% of the events held at Popham over the last 30 years it was a very mixed weekend. Saturday was brilliant, over 200 visitors by air and a very busy car park. Sunday was plagued by stiff winds and rain forecast that didn't quite happen, and I left at 12 when 6 aircraft had visited. Didn't bother with yesterday, the weather was rubbish at home, as it always seems to be that Monday. The jumble part of the Monday doesn't really interest me, but it does seem to have declined considerably. sadly the great British weather has spoilt so many of the Popham events recently. This event contributes a considerable chunk the the airfields budget, and is now one of the biggest events on the calendar for us spotters. Never mind I will be back on Sunday for the Vans fly-in.

Did you see any Auster parts on offer?

There were a couple of Auster leg struts for sale (PM me if you need the sellers details), Harvard canopy and tail fin, DH Venom wing tip, Canberra throttle box, part of a F4 phantom wing with light, piece of Vickers Victor fuselage (unconfirmed), hostspur glider small cockpit windows and frames, a couple of wooden props (of which one I acquired) and the usual instrumentation and switches etc.
    It's what I expected, not much but I found a couple of bits to make the journey worthwhile and it's always good to cathch up with others.I know of at least one trader who didn't turn up because of the impending weather, not sure if it put others off. Noticeably the autojumble was down also this year. Anyhow it is what it is, the chase is always better than the acquisition !

Sounds marginally better than the last time I went a few years ago it was crap repro Spitfire stuff and nuts and bolts,
    Officially now a pensioner

Was the worst yet I've attended.

Thanks Fly Buy - that would be a help!

It still was worth it. These are my weird, eclectic collection of bits! A few were, what seasoned jumblers call, boredom buys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well looks a useful trip, Tony. Was the Venom stick shamefully cheap? A Hurricane bulb holder too?
    Last edited by ian_; 3rd May 2017 at 18:41.

Best said to be in poor condition, but I don't have grip style and needed one....well, need may be a bit strong!

Those armoured glass panels...Typhoon??
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

yep, apparently came from you about 25 years ago......I assumed they were ones we recovered from the dump....unless you know differently Andy!

I don't remember any Typhoon screens coming up at Hanbrough Tony ............
    What's that window from?

Jules

I'd say Sea Otter???

Supposed to be Hotspur, but I don't think so! Will check out otter RHW!
    Ju, we didn't find any front screens from Tyffies, but did find the car door head armour ones like these.

Thread Information