Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: French Spitfire team

French Spitfire team

Not so long ago someone mentioned to me that a French aerobatic team had flown Spitfires. Not sure if they performed for any length of time or if it was a one- off thing. Apparently painted in French colors, possibly different on all aircraft. Anyone know any of this?

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

I have this buried somewhere in the loft - I think one of them may be in a Ouest France booklet but the others were in a Trait D'Union (French equivalent of Air Britain) book which was old when I got it. There was a trio, possibly even Mk.VIIIs but I wouldn't swear to that, and one was white, one red and one blue. I can't be sure that all can be identified in what I have, but there has been a lot of research on Spitfires since so perhaps more up-to-date comment will come.

OK, they were Mk.IXs, see other thread on Spitfire aerobatic teams.
    Last edited by Graham Boak; 13th April 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Separate posting with added detail

Patrouille Tricolore de Meknes.

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 16th April 2017 at 05:34. Reason: Typo
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Hi gents,

Have been following the other related thread on Spitfire display teams as well, would just like to enquire if anybody out there has any other photos or film of their actual display??

I had always wanted to do a modelling project, involving a diorama of the Blue Angels F6Fs or F8Fs, in one of their display formations. No longer - this is now the team that I will model! (Eventually!!)

Having 3 x Spits, in 1/48 scale, posed vertically in a loop or, even better, a "Bomb-burst", held in place on nice brushed-satin finished metal rods, mounted on a nicely varnished wooden base........ like a small version of the Spitfire Island sculpture.....I think I'm going to have to lie down...

M

Thanks for the info. Just googled the team and found this photo of some models built in their colors. If The Horsemen ever wanted to display in France as well as add another type to their repertoire here is the answer.

Name:  Spitfires.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  312.9 KB

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

^^^^^ They look really smart

Quote Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
    Patrouille Tricore de Meknes.

Mark

...might the second word "Tricore" possibly read as "Tricolore" as used by the French in their armed forces ?......just askin'.

Speaking of The Horsemen and their Mustang display, have any civilians done something similar with Spitfires?
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    ...might the second word "Tricore" possibly read as "Tricolore" as used by the French in their armed forces ?......just askin'.
    Yes. Typo
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thread Information