Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Battle of Britain Luftwaffe wrecks piccies

Battle of Britain Luftwaffe wrecks piccies

Fascinating photos.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Interesting photographs, which are annotated to a higher quality than a lot of Wail content (though I cannot comment on the accuracy of all of them). As per usual the comments section is a disaster zone.

There's a lot you can say about the quality (or lack thereof) of articles in the Mail, but it is the best by a country mile for images. Thanks for sharing

I can see a couple of clunkers in the captions - there's a scrapyard full of Dorniers (and an odd Stuka) that apparently has a Messerschmitt in it, and I'm fairly sure the submerged Heinkel 111 is a 115, but the standard of the captions is definitely way above the usual standard of Wail journalism.

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Not bad for the Daily Fail. They're always going to mess up the words but the pictures are outstanding. Thanks for the link PanzerJohn.

I like the way they ended with a big fat Buchon labelled 'Bf 100'.

I'm fairly sure the submerged Heinkel 111 is a 115,
    No it's definitely a He111, look at the engine, the He115 had radials!

There's also a photo of a rare Ju87 variant as it appears to have been powered by a Bramo Fafnir radial.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian_gray View Post
    ...but the standard of the captions is definitely way above the usual standard of Wail journalism.

Adrian
    I'm guessing that as the photos are credited to Pen and Sword, that they just "borrowed" the captions from the book.

I thought it might have mentioned in the caption that the Bf-110 wreckage next to the railway goods yard is Hess's aircraft.

Is it me, or does Red 14 in Leeds city centre seem to have a different canopy thrown on...it doesn't look quite right? Like the back to front wings as well.

Best regards;
    Steve
    Last edited by RAFRochford; 7th April 2017 at 11:29.

Thread Information