Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Pilatus P.2 G-BJAX

Pilatus P.2 G-BJAX

Hi all;

Just a very quick question regarding Pilatus P.2 G-BJAX in her Swiss colours back in the early 80's. Does anyone know what the badge is on the fuselage? I've tried Googling it with little success, so thought I would throw the question out here. Sorry! Couldn't find a photo that showed the badge any closer!

*Photo removed*

Found the photo online, but without a picture credit....so I can't pass the credit on.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards;
    Steve
    Last edited by RAFRochford; 29th March 2017 at 10:14.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    No idea, but I've always liked the P-2!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Agreed! A handsome looking aeroplane, which, I kind of miss watching being repeatedly "shot" down by MH434!

Best regards;
    Steve

Someone connected to the Old Flying Machine Company might be able to help.

I also noticed in the background of your photo a very smart looking Leyland Marathon truck!

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

B-50D Superfortress parts wanted

wyvernfan@gmail.com

It is the insignia of 6eme Escadrille, Swiss Air Force and the motto at the bottom read "Jusqu'au bout" (Until the End).

I had several flights in that lovely aeroplane.
    David Legg
    Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

David! You're a star! Many thanks for the information on the badge. I can do some digging and knock up a decal for it now. Hope you enjoyed the flights in BJAX...I'm not jealous at all!

Rob: Yes! I spotted that rather nice Leyland too!

Best regards;
    Steve

Not related to the thread, but to G-BJAX:
    Her end or a future project of her resurrection?
    A pic I took of her fuselage on 20.07.2014 at Bremgarten, MeierMotors facilities:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	252134

Michael

The P2 is one of those aircraft that for me just looks right in any scheme. I also remember the late John Watts who became something of a maestro in displaying the Pilatus. A very approachable guy who was killed in a night time Tornado collision at a young age.

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

B-50D Superfortress parts wanted

wyvernfan@gmail.com

Lovely aeroplane; I flew in G-BLKZ from Duxford in the late 90s (with a view to buying a share in her). A charismatic, smooth and beautifully harmonised aeroplane, and, IMHO, nicer to fly than the T-6...Unfortunately my wife announced shortly afterwards she was expecting our first child so the moment passed!

I watched John Watts flying a superb impromptu display at Parham, home of the 390thBG. Superb flying, such a loss

The photo was taken by a friend of mine ,Derek Heley, and it has been cropped to remove his name from the bottom of the photo.
    It was taken at RAF Marham on 09/04/1983

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/search?...ch_type=simple

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/search?...ch_type=simple

G-ANPK

G-ANPK;

Thank you for the clarification. I found the photo on a google search as is. I've removed the photo as you have included links to the original, credited image.

Many thanks!
    Steve

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Evalu8ter View Post
    Unfortunately my wife announced shortly afterwards she was expecting our first child so the moment passed!
    Surely you can't blame her entirely for this!

Well, maybe not entirely - though, in her defence, she told me to spend the money on a Porsche 911 instead.......

Meanwhile, here is a Pilatus P-2 with a photo credit....

Name:	f-azcd.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	252146
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I agree that the P2 looks good in any scheme, but my favourite is about as simple as they come. I took it on home ground at Geneva Classics 2009, all nice and polished. I hope you don't mind me bending the thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Laurence

Be my guest! Bend the thread away! I got the answer I was looking for regarding the badge for 6eme Escadrille (although, do you think I can find a nice hi-res picture of the badge anywhere!) Happy to see lots of pictures of pretty and shiny P.2s....I like them as much as I like Piston Provosts ...oh! and Arado Ar-96s. Now there's a type I would like to see fly.

Best regards;
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RAFRochford View Post
    ...oh! and Arado Ar-96s. Now there's a type I would like to see fly.

Best regards;
    Steve
    Almost, but not quite....

Name:	Eagle8.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	252150
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Be my guest! Bend the thread away! I got the answer I was looking for regarding the badge for 6eme Escadrille (although, do you think I can find a nice hi-res picture of the badge anywhere!) Happy to see lots of pictures of pretty and shiny P.2s....I like them as much as I like Piston Provosts ...oh! and Arado Ar-96s. Now there's a type I would like to see fly.

Best regards;
    Steve
    Can´t help with an airworthy Arado 96 (I´d love to see one flying too). But with pics of one of the 2 static restored ones (or under restoration? in case of the Norwegian one). IIRC there are only parts of a wreck of a 3. example Flugwerk wanted to use as template for a recreation (the project never really got started). The one in the pics is the one at Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin, photos taken in 2011. BTW Arado 96 and Pilatus P.2 have the same engine, Argus constant speed prop assembly and even the same engine mount IIRC. So firewall forward they are (nearly) identical. Enjoy the pics,
    Michael

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	252177

Name:	IMG_2141.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	252178

Name:	IMG_2142.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	252179

Name:	IMG_2143.JPG 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	252180

Name:	IMG_2144.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	252181

Name:	IMG_2145.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	252182

I forgot to post 2 pics I took of P.2 D-ETAB in 2015.

Michael

Name:	14062015202.jpg 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	252183

Name:	14062015203.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	252184

Hi Michael;

Many thanks for the photos of the Ar-96. That's a lovely restoration there. I should make it a mission to go and visit Berlin and see this beauty in the flesh. I don't know why, but I've always liked the lines of the Ar-96....lovely looking aeroplane!

Thanks again!
    Best regards;
    Steve

Hi Michael;

Many thanks for the photos of the Ar-96. That's a lovely restoration there. I should make it a mission to go and visit Berlin and see this beauty in the flesh. I don't know why, but I've always liked the lines of the Ar-96....lovely looking aeroplane!

Thanks again!
    Best regards;
    Steve
    Right you are. And a very "modern" one for a trainer regarding the start of the design in 1936, and first flight in 1938. Fully metal, retracting gear. Not that usual in the mid - late 1930´s. BTW Czechoslovakia (Avia and Letov) built them well into the 1950´s, as did the French with their SIPA variants. (No survivor there either, DTMB has some (minor) parts of the crashed one (ex-Salis collection) on a shelf. IIRC it was an accident due to being unable to recover from a flat spin.)

Michael

Best regards;
    Steve
    Steve - if you go to https://www.facebook.com/swissairfor...eswissspotter/ and look for a message dated 17Oct16 you will find an image that may help a little.

Talk of the P-2 and John Watts is very nostalgic. I see that I flew in G-BJAX with John on 14May88 on a local from North Weald after that year's Fighter Meet in formation with DC-3s G-AMCA and PH-DDA and again with Chris Diggens from West Malling to Duxford on 29Aug88. The first attempt ended in a precautionary landing back at 'Malling with suspected smoke in the cockpit and then a successful transit to Duxford. I also flew twice with John Watts in P-2 G-BONE/U-142 on the evening of 25Jun85 when he was practising a synchro pair display for The Fighter Meet with Paul Warren Wilson in G-BJAX out of North Weald. Let's just say they had a lot of fun!

Back to G-BJAX and Meier Motors - I seem to recall a post on this forum some time ago to the effect that it was not a rebuild project but it was being used for parts.
    David Legg
    Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

What actually happened to G-BJAX.
    I saw it at a few places during the 1980s including Duxford, Mildenhall, West Malling and North Weald.
    Why did it get broken up for spares, and is any parts of it around to day.
    Wasn't there a P2 fuselage at Booker outside PPS hanger at entrance to the museum when there, and which one was that.

The P-2 fuselage at Booker was, I'm pretty sure, a mock-up used for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Thread Information