Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bf109E replica being built in Cornwall

Nice project. Thumbs up!!!

Red nosed 109s the flavour of the month !!!!
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Painting day today. Fuselage is all finished and is now being weathered. It's the turn of the control surfaces today and we are especially pleased with the rudder, hopefully the first of many. The wings go in tomorrow and then after that, it's just a case of sticking it all together and delivering to it's new owner. What could be more simple!

Talking of Red Nosed 109s, we have had an enquiry this very afternoon where someone mentioned Messerschmitts of that colour. If someone wants one, we can make it and they can have any colour they would like!

Best wishes,

Martin

Will this be on public view when finished? and if one did have a lottery win and want dare i ask how much ?

Oh yes, will be on public display all over the UK. First outing with be Northern Scotland in two weeks time. So on its transit from Cornwall should be seen by a lot of people, towed on its own purpose built trailer.

And as to prices, all depends on what the specification is. Prices can range from £40K to 60K. May surprise a few people but each one takes 4 months to complete and you can see from this thread that a lot of work goes into each FSM. They aren't simple models, but accurate renditions of the real thing.

Martin
    Last edited by T6flyer; 2nd May 2017 at 16:40.

Hi Martin,

As I wrote before, a great achievement from you and your team. But do you know if the structure is stong enough to carry an engine? I remember that some one built a meteor engine in a plastic Spitfire. Any idea this would be possible with models built by your team?

Regards,

Mathieu.

Mathieu,

This 109 was originally designed to have an engine fitted, but the project changed direction. But anything is possible, we would just have to change the internal steel structure. A Spitfire V currently in production is having one fitted, so yes to your answer.

Martin

We should be washing cars, cutting the grass or watching the football, but no all working on the 109!

Last edited by T6flyer; 29th April 2017 at 13:10.

Just gorgeous, I want one.
    Well done you lot for your dedication to the task
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Utterly superb. Many congratulations.

Love it so much. Bravo to all involved!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Just a thought but there's probably good money in making more rudders and painting them up like this:

Name:  Bf 109 G Rudder Graf.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  67.7 KB

Photo credit on photo

After all, you've done the donkey-work
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

The possibilities are endless I suppose. Have had about 20 enquiries so far, but will sit down and work out the prices, once we have finished the complete airframe. Is meant to be delivered to its owner next weekend. And then I'm going to have a few days off, where I don't have to look at an aeroplane! After that, starting another Spitfire.

Best wishes,

Martin

Thanks, FlyPast nice to be back after that 'break' at the weekend....

Not many posts to go from myself on this thread (thank god for that I hear you say). We've been working on it all over the weekend - wasn't much else to do as it rained all of the time, and now only a few things to do. Prop goes on tomorrow and the gear doors are to be fitted and then once we have taken some photos, it will be dismantled and off to it's owner.

Today, have had our 'Weathering Wizard' in and it's looking totally different again. Gone from a piece of blue plastic, to something resembling an aeroplane and now something even more so. Still some work to finish her off, but looking very smart indeed. Hope you all agree.

Martin

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Looking rather awesome, I must say!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Wow I've never seen anything like it that looks so real.What a brilliant job you guys are doing and like someone else has said the possibilities are endless.I think you guys are going to have quite a following.I wonder if someone will ask for the TITANIC...LOL its doable

I am simply lost for words!.... Just stunning..... I can`t wait to see a picture with the spinner and wings attached. A brilliant effort by all concerned.

As I said on WIX, and probably on Facebook later today, big kudos to you and the team for an amazing project. And to the owner for allowing you to share so much. It's been fascinating to follow.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

.I wonder if someone will ask for the TITANIC...LOL its doable
    Clive Palmer, an Australian coal tycoon was posturing about building a full size new Titanic a few years ago.......I think that's gone down the gurgler as his share worth did likewise.....
    Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Chinese are building a replica Titanic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...500-lives.html

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Yep the customer building the Titanic is Clive Palmer..He did run for Pm in Auss last year.Failed at that too.He has a golf course resort up at Coolum on the Sunshine Coast that has full scale fibreglass dinosaurs..Trex burnt down last year due to a lightening strike or something..RIP Jeff..
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-0...resort/6276188

Lovely paintjob on the 109 How complete is the cockpit?
    Last edited by QldSpitty; 3rd May 2017 at 06:06.
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments, so much appreciated by all of us. Cockpit is bare as the owner wishes to fit this out himself when delivered. Which fingers crossed should be tomorrow. Still a few little things to sort out - undercarriage legs, paint chips and prop hub, but she should be rolled out this afternoon. And better still it's a nice day down here, so should get some good photos.

Back to the hangar. Will try and report back later.

Thanks again,

Martin

Problem is, this is getting addictive.....soon to be all silver!

We haven't forgotten about the engine cowling fasteners. These are being made in metal and will be added at a later date. Next batch of photos should show the finished item.

Thanks,

Martin

Be very very proud you lot
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

First the Lysander, and then this. Absolutely fantastic work and a joy to behold! The Bf 109 looks more authentic than many restored originals...

Yesterday, she was rolled out and today is in Scotland at her first show. Been a wonderful project to work on. Sometimes stressful, sometimes fun, but very very interesting. A few months ago and I knew virtually nothing about 109s cept for films and airshows, but now know a little. This project would not have been finished without the invaluable assistance from so many people, but notable Steve Rickards for his expertise, Lynn Ritger, Ralph Moser, Zsolt Keri, Harald Wiegand and Ronnie Olsthoorn. Thank you gentlemen.

What with the interest in this build on forums such as this and on social media, I hope that this won't be the last one that we build. There can't be many FSMs as detailed as this?

Today, thought would have a day off, but no, starting work on a P-51D replica and a Spitfire VR system for America. No rest for the wicked!

Again, thanks to everyone for their kind comments. As always so much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Martin

Last edited by T6flyer; 5th May 2017 at 10:01.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    That is truly a piece of art. Well done.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

That looks truly beautiful. Thanks for keeping us up to speed with the construction as it progressed and a big thanks to your client for allowing you to share the images with us all. Hopefully your clients will allow you post as the P51 and future aircraft develop. It has been a fascinating thread and one that I looked forward to catching up with.

I WANT ONE !

What are the tyres off?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Umm dont know. They were sourced by the owner. Will find out for you.

Martin

Thread Information