Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bf109E replica being built in Cornwall

Bf109E replica being built in Cornwall

Hello,

A new 109 replica being built by GateguardsUK at Newquay. The attention to detail I think is superb. This could be the first of many, as with this build, enquiries have come in from all over Europe. Wonder if anyone would like a T or a Luft'46 Z

Is this a genuine plastic 109 or a converted plastic Buchon with a DB hung on the front?

It does look very good

Genuine replica built from the ground up, using a number of 109 parts from which plugs and molds have been taken.

Martin

Absolutely stunning! keep up the excellent work.. now just need that lottery win..

Very nice and would make a nice addition to the Spitfires/Hurricanes about. Many years ago there was a report in "our" home aviation mag the a
    full size Stirling model was to be built. Now that would be something. Perhaps a nice alternative after the 109 production run has been completed.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Great stuff!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    Very nice and would make a nice addition to the Spitfires/Hurricanes about. Many years ago there was a report in "our" home aviation mag the a
    full size Stirling model was to be built. Now that would be something. Perhaps a nice alternative after the 109 production run has been completed.
    I seem to remember something of the like, just imagine the sight of it...

regards,
    jack...

I wonder how the Lancaster ones are going for the long awaited Dambuster film ,if it happens and whether they would be available afterwards.
    Last edited by Moggy C; 27th March 2017 at 17:53. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed

the lanc replicas are built and in storage, I saw some pics quite recently on some such site. from memory there were Mossie parts visible too in the photos. its time this film was in production, the original proposed cast are all getting a bit long in the tooth now!
    show me a man who laughs at defeat and ill show you a black chiropodist with a sense of humour!

And a Wellington... Wasn't one of the Lancs offered post filming as a gate guard, but turned down? I remember reading something like that.

Personally, I'd love to see "Malta Story" remade for modern audiences. Surprised Peter Jackson hasn't thought about it himself, as his father crewed an AA gun during the wartime siege.
    Epic in scope from the start with more than enough to pander to American audiences.......if needs must.
    The contribution of the USS Wasp. The Pedestal convoy and the American ship credited with saving the island in 1942, the Ohio. And, of course, the larger than life Canadian ace, George Beurling. A true maverick in the classic "Hollywood" style. Who could be played, at a push, by an American actor.
    Add to this the exploits of our own Adrian Warburton among other Malta heroes and you would have more than ample scope for a potential blockbuster.
    Last edited by sgt pilot andy; 28th March 2017 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    And a Wellington... Wasn't one of the Lancs offered post filming as a gate guard, but turned down? I remember reading something like that.
    I'm not sure a firm date to start filming was ever set? Seems a bit premature to offer for afterwards.
    They are pretty big, and can understand neither RNZAF Auckland (Whenuapai) or RNZAF Ohakea wanting to find room for a type with limited connections to the bases. A Spitfire replica is at Whenuapai, but it has been placed outside 485 Wing HQ rather than at the gate. Unless they have added a lot of trees since I was there, at least the school kids will have a good view of it! Ohakea has a Vampire at the gate.
    A front fuselage for the RNZAF Museum might be a better fit?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt pilot andy View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see "Malta Story" remade for modern audiences. Surprised Peter Jackson hasn't thought about it himself, as his father crewed an AA gun during the wartime siege.
    Epic in scope from the start with more than enough to pander to American audiences.......if needs must.
    The contribution of the USS Wasp. The Pedestal convoy and the American ship credited with saving the island in 1942, the Ohio. And, of course, the larger than life Canadian ace, George Beurling. A true maverick in the classic "Hollywood" style. Who could be played, at a push, by an American actor.
    Add to this the exploits of our own Adrian Warburton among other Malta heroes and you would have more than ample scope for a potential blockbuster.
    There are so many other wartime aviation stories that deserve filming rather than a remake of the Dambusters... and we could have lots of more deserving replica aircraft. (the lesser well known but equally deserving types to the Lanc). But hey-ho he has to make shed loads of money somehow by doing what he perseves that joe public want. I agree with your Malta idea. Operation Pedestal alone has such tales of bravery that are humbling and should really be done in preference to the likes of a dambusters remake.

what about the costs of production? That is why you have to take so much money back

A Malta-set film would be good. Plenty of American pilots flew with the RAF during the siege.

Incidentally, I've just finished reading this:

Name:  2012509.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  53.0 KB
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    what about the costs of production? That is why you have to take so much money back
    Yes true but the point is there is so much more deserving subject matter (and potential for other types of replica aircraft) than a remake of the Dambusters.

There is lots of thread drift here so I'll shut up now and just compliment GateGuardsUK on their workmanship on the BF019, it does look stunning. Their Lysander was as well.

Paul you are correct, how nice to have Whitleys, Wimpys, Hampdens, JU88s Dorniers He111s the list could go on, if I could afford it I would get one built.

That 109 looks luuvveeeely

I seem to remember that the YAM 109 replica went to GateGuards for moulds to be made a few years ago.
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted on their website a few years ago:
    BF109E Replica - 15th November, 2012

Gateguards (UK) Ltd has secured the moulds for a BF109E!

This is a new mould to us and we will be happy to produce an aircraft to your specifications.
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

So it's a 1:1 scale model, not an airplane, right? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stepwilk View Post
    So it's a 1:1 scale model, not an airplane, right? Or am I missing something?
    It's a fullsize scale static replica, just like the others that the company have made. Just done two Spitfires the new Dunkirk film and the Westland Lysander for the recent release Allied. A few years ago built Warhawks and Mustangs for Red Tails.

I have only been involved for six months but am learning all of the time and have some wonderful assistance from people along the way, plus three sets of blueprints and countless books and other publications. Before my input the airframe was just another type, being more of a Harvard man myself, but am slowly becoming a convert. Today, been working on the ailerons and trailing edge Andy tomorrow who knows.

Martin

Stepwilk has a point. A few years back there was a loooong discussion here and we were told by our betters (or those who think they are) that an item such as that should be called a "Full Scale Model".
    The term "replica" seems to imply that it does what the original item would do.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Not being someone that frequents the forum, I do see your point and we do refer to them as replicas, but have seen references to them as FSMs, so know what to do next time. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Perhaps should have been thought a little before putting fingers to keyboard.

Martin

Perhaps the construction material should be part of the description, i.e; fibreglass replica, wooden replica, concrete rep.... and it should be assumed that it is full size unless otherwise stated (as would be a true replica)
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Its a FSM - full size mock up.If you produce a replica by its definition it replicate's the original .

Quote Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
    Its a FSM - full size mock up.If you produce a replica by its definition it replicate's the original .
    Duly noted. Next time FSM......

Martin
    Gateguards

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Whitton View Post
    I seem to remember that the YAM 109 replica went to GateGuards for moulds to be made a few years ago.
    I mentioned this today, it being way before my time here and although the FSM (see am learning!) came down to Cornwall, it wasn't used as a source for the moulds. Work was done it as I believe and it was duly returned. The fuselage we have here today was constructed from blueprint drawings and a number of parts kindly loaned by Craig Charleston.

A few months ago and I never knew the 109 was a project. Was sat at my desk with the door open on one of those rare Summer's days and heard someone mention a 109 undercarriage leg. Deciding that I needed some exercise, I duly followed and well, the rest is history.

Martin

that must be heavy, thanks for the insight very interesting indeed Martin

I don't care if it's a FSM, replica, or whatever.

It sure beats the hell out of what's currently sitting on MY desk!!!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Thread Information