Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bf109E replica being built in Cornwall

Bf109E replica being built in Cornwall

Hello,

A new 109 replica being built by GateguardsUK at Newquay. The attention to detail I think is superb. This could be the first of many, as with this build, enquiries have come in from all over Europe. Wonder if anyone would like a T or a Luft'46 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    that must be heavy, thanks for the insight very interesting indeed Martin
    Presumably that's the male plug from which the female production moulds are made so the weight won't be too much of a problem . For some reason I had the idea that rubber moulds were taken off real aircraft. I'm even more impressed with the detail these FSM's have now.

That is indeed the plug, but inside the moulds, is of course a metal framework as in any of our creations. Will try and take some photos to illustrate the point. Elevators are being created this afternoon. With all the fibreglassing going on, sounds from where I am sat, a troop of monkeys are having a shouting match in the hangar! Quieter in here with my head in the books!
    Last edited by T6flyer; 30th March 2017 at 13:54. Reason: monkeys

Went to take a photo of the frame and then realised it has all been boxed in....doh! So a little glimpse up through the undercarriage leg. 2nd elevator has just been finished by our craftsman Dave Chapman and he also has finished the plug for one of the ailerons. This is drying now and off to be cast tomorrow morning.

Today, been working on the spinner and back plate. And the Hub has just come out of the mold. All looking good....

Martin

Beautiful piece of work.
    Your detail photos show there is more to a quality FSM than usually thought.
    Certainly more than just a crude shell. Almost too good for film work where the details wouldn't be seen.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    Beautiful piece of work.
    Your detail photos show there is more to a quality FSM than usually thought.
    Certainly more than just a crude shell. Almost too good for film work where the details wouldn't be seen.
    Thank you for the kind words, so much appreciated. Hopefully, this will be good practice for us, if we are ever asked to build anything for the new Battle of Britain film!

Martin

Martin and team, perhaps if you build a Ju-87B or four it will help your case for Sir Ridley to secure your services?
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ View Post
    Martin and team, perhaps if you build a Ju-87B or four it will help your case for Sir Ridley to secure your services?
    Tempting and it has been discussed before, for sale to Museums abroad, but the Stuka is somewhat of a large aeroplane and without blueprints and accurate references might be a little offputting. But, we like making things for films and like challenges too (the White Bird, Lysander and the F-35s) so who knows what is going to happen next. We are getting enquiries almost every day now. I have 3 new quotes to work on today. And a new BoB film, well what a project that would be. Here's to the future.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

How about a Whirlwind, Halifax or Stirling for a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    How about a Whirlwind, Halifax or Stirling for a challenge.
    Yes, just down to someone willing to pay for one. We have looked at large aircraft before and it is doable if we can have something to work from - factory drawings, blueprints, a donor airframe, delivery options etc etc. The White Bird was an immense challenge, but we did it and who knows what is next. Besides the airframes currently in production, we already have a somewhat busy schedule, but might draw the line at a replica (sorry FSM) Spruce Goose!

Martin

What an absolute work of art!. Fantastic to see how much hard work is being put into the project. Just out of curiosity, has a paint scheme been decided upon once the Emil is finished?.

Love the White Bird-

From GateGuards web site:
    Name:  14493120.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  355.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by One of the Few View Post
    What an absolute work of art!. Fantastic to see how much hard work is being put into the project. Just out of curiosity, has a paint scheme been decided upon once the Emil is finished?.
    Thank you again, and yes a scheme has been decided on by the owner and very nice it looks too. Painting should start next week. But nothing will be made public until the project is finished, I'm afraid.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Thank you again, and yes a scheme has been decided on by the owner and very nice it looks too. Painting should start next week. But nothing will be made public until the project is finished, I'm afraid.

Martin
    Thank you for replying to my query Martin. I look forward to seeing the finished Emil in all its glory. I must admit that if i were the owner i would have it finished to represent Von Werra`s 109E, i have always liked that one, and i have often wondered why the RAF did`nt save it for museum purposes considering it was supposed to be an "aces" mount.

Exhausting day at work today!

Martin

Thank you. Shame is that half of each exhaust has to be discarded for each stack to fit between the L plates. Should have one side completed before we go home.

Lovely stuff. Did you get the email I sent to the website T6flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Lovely stuff. Did you get the email I sent to the website T6flyer?
    Sadly no. I don't have access myself and I know we have had terrible problems recently. Think at times it would be quicker and safer to use pigeons, so will PM you my home email address and we will take it from there. Apologies if waiting for an answer. You may not have got it!

Cheers,

Martin

All sorted now....

And how good it is today to be able to get on without everyone in at work. So much has been achieved today. Will find out later on way home, if there are any Easter Eggs left (Marmite?) and perhaps a bottle of wine! But seriously, it is getting there. The castellation ring copies match up precisely with the blade we obtained in Switzerland and the copies of the latter have come out well too. The port air intake looks wonderful and the hub and spinner are off to be molded. Work now turns towards the canopy. But that can wait until Tuesday now!

Last edited by T6flyer; 15th April 2017 at 13:54.

Looks incredible ,well done to you all.

Really nice martin.
    Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
    In that last picture of you with the exhaust, that sure does not look like a 109 behind you
    Do you have access to a real 109 to copy bits from? Looking good!

Andy

Molded Parts

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    All sorted now....

And how good it is today to be able to get on without everyone in at work. So much has been achieved today. Will find out later on way home, if there are any Easter Eggs left (Marmite?) and perhaps a bottle of wine! But seriously, it is getting there. The castellation ring copies match up precisely with the blade we obtained in Switzerland and the copies of the latter have come out well too. The port air intake looks wonderful and the hub and spinner are off to be molded. Work now turns towards the canopy. But that can wait until Tuesday now!

Out of curiosity, what material is used to fabricate the molded parts? It doesn't look like fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by AVI View Post
    Out of curiosity, what material is used to fabricate the molded parts? It doesn't look like fiberglass.
    The plugs seen here are made from wood. From these the molds are made. The Castellation Ring is made from rubber.

Martin

Fascinating work if you can get it . . .
    How long does such an FSM take to produce I am wondering ??
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhr Rover View Post
    Fascinating work if you can get it . . .
    How long does such an FSM take to produce I am wondering ??
    Ian
    Normally about 4-5 months from start to finish, but with any new type this can take a lot longer as to the research involved and the acquisition of manuals, blueprints, photos, drawings etc etc.

As to DH82EH's question about did we use a 109, the simple answer is yes and no. Didn't use a complete airframe but what with a lot of original loaned parts, blueprints and a lot of help from some lovely people, what you see is well hopefully a FSM (see am learning) of a 109. There has been so much interest in this one project that we hope that it will be the start of a new production line, not just in complete aircraft but also in parts, such as rudders, prop blades, rings etc etc. I never knew the 109 was such a popular aircraft. A few months ago and I knew virtually nothing about it, but give me a beer and I can bore you for hours now!

And the airframe behind Dave Chapman in the exhaust photo, is one of those Spitfire things. In for a new set of wings. Taken a lot longer as was originally required as the centre section and frame seems to be twisted and so we have had to have a rethink as to the various connections, to enable the wings and the fuselage to match.

Hope that helps. Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. So much appreciated.

Martin

hi Martin,

like others already wrote, a wonderfull project! But what I am wondering, how much will the 109 weighs when finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonderman View Post
    hi Martin,

like others already wrote, a wonderfull project! But what I am wondering, how much will the 109 weighs when finished?
    Thank you. It's off to the paint shop this afternoon and only when that is all completed, will we know how much it weighs. Don't think it is going to be a lightweight, as there is so much metalwork under the fibreglass.

Martin

Bit late, but in it goes......

Thread Information