Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hendon's Stuka

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)

Hendon's Stuka

Wikipedia states that the Ju 87G in the RAF Museum was modified for use in the filming of Battle of Britain. The mods were removed at some point in the 1990s.

Of course, we all know it wasn't used in the end, but what were the modifications? And are there any photos of them?
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

The individual history document on Ju 87G W.Nr. 494083 from RAFM dated 2007 states that in March 1967 it was moved to RAF Henlow along with other AHB aircraft for possible use in BoB film. It was repainted, including W8+A code, dummy wooden dive brakes added, leg sirens, dummy bomb, and rear gun position modified. Engine run at least once and probably taxied. Permission to restore to airworthy obtained from MoD but inspections revealed it would be more involved than first thought, and modified Proctors and scale models were used instead. It was during this time that W.Nr. was confirmed as 494083.

It was loaned to RAF Colerne for display in June 1972 and wing and tail were damaged in transit. Repainted at St. Athan in 1975 with RI+JK code, then moved outside Hendon in November. The first time I saw 494083 it was sitting in the grass in front of Hendon in April 1976 (Along with Me 262, Me 410, V-1, and V-2.) and I took a few pictures with a cheap Kodak. They are very dark and I’ve been meaning to scan them in and lighten them up to look for details, and I’ll do that today. I do know that it has a yellow tail band that I haven’t seen in earlier pictures, and it should still have the modified rear gun position because that wasn’t restored to original until 20 years later.

The original plan was to fly the Stuka.

Here a shot at RAF Henlow in 1968 by films stills photographer Keith Hamshere, tasked with taking multiple views of all the participator types in flying attitude to asses light on the aircraft to pre-set the cameras for the A2A photography from th B-25.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

re:

I have seen pictures of her, strung up via crane for cockpit shots.
    pb::

What would I give to see one of these restored to flight
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit158 View Post
    Patience Grasshopper, it is happening

Is it? Where? That would be a great sight to see!

Closest thing to a flying Stuka today is N87LL
    https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos...egsearch=N87LL
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Quote Originally Posted by R4118 View Post
    Is it? Where? That would be a great sight to see!
    Flying Heritage Collection has a wreck, but there is little info on the status.

Someone with the means to do so should really try to work with the Croatian government to recover the mostly intact example off of their coast for a pattern rebuild. Also I have stumbled across unverifiable comments of a Stuka "barn find" in Croatia also from someone claiming to have been in the area during the civil war in the 90s, for anyone who wishes to pursue that fantasy.

at least you dont have to dig a hole for a barn find, just find the barn

ok a question
    Forget the cost,

do you think a new build would be allowed on the UK reg?

What could be a good engine to use for ease of maintenance? (maybe the same as the 109 with an Allison)

could the Hendon one be used as a template?

Problem is no original plans exist as far as I know..Is ok to copy a part but its hard to get a full set of engineering specs to go against it.
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks for the info DC Page and Mark12.

I had been intending on building a Stuka model for inclusion in my movie model collection, hence the question. I've got a Ju 87G kit en route, but I'm guessing the canopy will need changing, at least.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fouga23 View Post
    Closest thing to a flying Stuka today is N87LL
    https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos...egsearch=N87LL
    That's one of my favourite replicas.

As I recall, there was another Stuka replica, built in Russia, a few years back.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Perhaps we need to build a replica at Gateguards to go with our 109. No point just making one, would have to see if there was a viable market out there for other builds?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by DazDaMan View Post
    That's one of my favourite replicas.
    Has that aircraft been around a while? Remember seeing one at the CAF in 98.

Quote Originally Posted by QldSpitty View Post
    Problem is no original plans exist as far as I know..Is ok to copy a part but its hard to get a full set of engineering specs to go against it.
    The wreck in Croatia is the best pattern example available except for 3D scans of the originals in Chicago or in the UK. Croatian officials decided to let the recreational divers have it for now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wrak_Junkers_Ju-87_Stuka.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	252121
    Last edited by DoraNineFan; 27th March 2017 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98 View Post
    Has that aircraft been around a while? Remember seeing one at the CAF in 98.
    Probably the same one. I think it first flew in the 1970s.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northolt Stuka.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	252124 The Stuka being transported past RAF Northolt in company with a Heinkel 111.

The one in Russia has same shape issues, based on the photos I've seen online. I think another was built and flown in Eastern Europe too. Two Louis Langhurst replicas were built, only N87LL remains (the other crashed and killed the pilot) and there is recent-ish footage of it on YouTube. I believe the example at Omaka is the only 1:1 replica.

The FHCAM example is the most likely prospect for a flier, I think. My fingers are crossed for photos of it flying to appear one day out of the blue, as happened with their Shturmovik!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Here's one we prepared earlier -

Where did the Red Tail filming replicas go?
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by DoraNineFan View Post
    The wreck in Croatia is the best pattern example available except for 3D scans of the originals in Chicago or in the UK. Croatian officials decided to let the recreational divers have it for now.
    Meanwhile in Greece...

I'd forgotten all about that example in Greece!

About 16 years ago I recall that the excellent Aviation Museum in Malta had rescued a Hurricane from the Med. That has been on display for a number of years and has had a remarkable restoration. There was also 'talk' of raising a JU87 that was also close by on the sea bed. Further that Stuka was said to be an Italian Air Force example.

Until this topic emerged on the Forum I had forgotten about this Stuka....so, does anyone have an update to offer and did it happen to arrive at the museum?

Quote Originally Posted by R6915 View Post
    About 16 years ago I recall that the excellent Aviation Museum in Malta had rescued a Hurricane from the Med. That has been on display for a number of years and has had a remarkable restoration. There was also 'talk' of raising a JU87 that was also close by on the sea bed. Further that Stuka was said to be an Italian Air Force example.

Until this topic emerged on the Forum I had forgotten about this Stuka....so, does anyone have an update to offer and did it happen to arrive at the museum?
    The Italian Stuka is the one off of the coast of Croatia. There was initial talk of recovery but instead it was left in place. It has potential as a pattern aircraft if there was ever a recovery.

The Hellenic Air Force Museum in Greece does not even mention the Stuka that was recovered there, which is odd. I thought they eventually planned to move it inside, but maybe it is still outdoors.

re # 26. Thank you for the up date!

Quote Originally Posted by QldSpitty View Post
    Where did the Red Tail filming replicas go?
    A fine question! I was amazed when I saw them in the movie - I had to rewind to check I wasn't seeing things!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

North Vancouver (beautiful british columbia) Canada... Tiz a long way frum Devon
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit158 View Post
    Hi
    think the first one to fly will be this side of the pond
    when FHC offers to anyone $50,000 for a full set a/c drawings and $20,000 for a full set engine drawings, they must be serious about it.
    cheers
    jerry
    Last edited by brewerjerry; 29th March 2017 at 04:30. Reason: typo

I seem to remember reading an article in Aeroplane or Flypast regarding the restoration to flight of several Luftwaffe types(ALL Genuine) in the UK somewhere. I think there was Ju87, Me109, Me110 and Fw190 mentioned. Haven't heard or seen anything since that article, anyone else remember seeing or hearing anything?

Roger

Thread Information