Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Barn find Merlin engine?

Barn find Merlin engine?

Hello,

Have been told about a local scrap metal dealer that has been offered a 'Merlin' engine. I am trying to find out more information about the engine, but believe myself that it is a Meteor tank engine. Not knowing anything about value, have had a little digging around on the net, and they seem to go for about £6-8K. Presume the aeroplane equivalent would attract a higher price?

Original text stated 'complete but without blades'. The plot thickens. When hear more will report back here.

Martin

An RTM-322 maybe? Different type of Merlin, but would meet the 'blade' description.

But if it's a piston V-12 then I think you're right that it will be a Meteor 9 times out of 10.

xxx
    Last edited by Sabrejet; 20th March 2017 at 13:29. Reason: Pointless? "Quote of entire post directly above removed" would have been more helpful and less likely to offend surely?

Be careful.....this is the historic-aviation equivalent of...

...'do you want to see some puppies I've got in the back of my van'!
    WA$.

I recall a a scrapyard-find Merlin from about 25 years ago.

There was a yard being cleared near Preston and the contents were advertised, including the engine, to be sold at auction.

Of course, I attended and there was loads of ex-WW2 stuff there including an original steel billet for stamping out steel helmets. The engine was inside on a stand and was a 60-series, all inhibited, complete and undamaged. Very nice.

It went for about £1200, which was quite a lot even for then. Judging by the number of restored Mk.9 Spits that required them someone got a bargain. I'd guess it was fully inhibited and had possibly come from Wharton or Samlesbury after the war during a clear-out.

I have pictures tucked away somewhere.

Anon.

Name:  article-0-07C74B5F000005DC-78_468x304.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  67.7 KB

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information