Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Type C (??) Radio Control unit for TR9

Type C (??) Radio Control unit for TR9

I wondered if anyone has any drawings/photos of the unit that they could share with me. TR9D . I am trying to make one but so far, I only have the shots from P9374, which lose detail when blown up, and some
    photos of a pretty wrecked unit from a Hurricane from SpitfireSpares. I'm looking for the detail on the red dial/knob and ideally some dimensions for the unit overall.

TIA

Darryl
    Last edited by Tony Hill; 20th March 2017 at 04:56.
    In Memory of:
    Flt Lt Tony Hill who successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval. 5th Dec 1941

Hi

I have drawn one up as a 3D model, see a few posts down on this link:

http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/view...=2279&start=10

You can have the 3D model and all of the images and drawing I used for it, generally these came from the A.P. for the system which all appear to have scaleable - but not dimensioned - 2D drawings. I am at work but I could send you what I have tonight. Incidentally the text for the control is on the drawings too - the picture on the link was a very early version without text.

Better though to have one measured up for you, there is a radio society that have much of this sort of kit, in fact the names and organisation are noted in one of the posts - I have gotten many of my dimensions from them and they are very happy to do so I find - the radios shown on the link are all made from the dimensions and photos they took for me. Such places may even lend you one or visit to measure, worth a try?

Cheers
    James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 20th March 2017 at 12:37.

Thanks James,

Anything you could supply would be great. I''ve never seen one out here in Australia and unlikely to find one as we only got the Mk V and VIII during wartimeas far as I am aware. Thanks for the link. I' will read up and I will also PM you with my email address,

Beautiful work on the Sterling, by the way!!

best regards

Darryl
    In Memory of:
    Flt Lt Tony Hill who successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval. 5th Dec 1941

Paul Rogers was making copies of these a few years back. He may still be able to supply them.

Thanks Mate..hopefully he will be along!
    In Memory of:

Hi Darryl

I've sent you all I have, some examples attached here to

Cheers
    James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR9 controller.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	252022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-03-20_20-42-45.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	252023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	252024  

Could I get a copy of said 3D file too? We need one for our Horsa cockpit. I work in Solidworks if that's of any help.

Also, the RAF Museum have one of these units in their collection. I think if you pre-book it it can be made available for viewing/measurements by researchers.
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."
    @HorsaJed | Jet Age Museum Horsa Cockpit Project

I may still have a TR9D controller in the shed. I'll have a look!
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

That would be fantastic Andy, thanks! Some real measurements are still missing, would be great not to have to scale them from oblique photos.

Darryl
    In Memory of:

Any 3D files send here and I will print them off cheap on my printer here..
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighthBit View Post
    Could I get a copy of said 3D file too? We need one for our Horsa cockpit. I work in Solidworks if that's of any help.

Also, the RAF Museum have one of these units in their collection. I think if you pre-book it it can be made available for viewing/measurements by researchers.
    Hi 1/8th

Happy to supply a file to you, and anyone else who would like one. There is an issue with file tyes of course as there are many '3D Files'. I use Cinema 4D which currently can only export a limited number of types which include DWG, 3ds, STL and VRML though I will have to check with my old version of the software! I think too that you need to 'fiddle' with the file a little to look after items such as wall thickness and parts that are printed 'in the air'. My files wouldn't have such considerations since I'm not printing them, have to say I've never printed them.

However I did send a file to a RC Modeller who sucessfully printed a working (and radio controlled) Lancaster front turret.

Please drop me PM stating how much of the model you want (you may not want the Bowden cables for example) and what file types you can accept and we'll try it. Do bear in mind that not all the dimensions will be exactly correct. If Tangmere 1940 finds his example I would be happy to correct my model based on measurements taken from the real thing.

Cheers
    James

Thanks for the replies and the discussion guys...a lot to move forward with. Hopefully there is still a bit more info floating around out there.

Darryl
    In Memory of:

Hi

On a side note it turns out that my model is OK looking directly at the controller and feasible looking from the side but the control knob is totally wrong, so I am re-working it. Not sure where my original concept came from! If you are wanting a 3D file hang on for a while.

If anyone has a real one then some major dimensions and photos could ensure good copies could be printed.

Cheers
    James

Thread Information