Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: AESA Radar range calculator.

AESA Radar range calculator.

Greetings. It's been a while since i post a thing here.. bit boggled with some IRL issues. But well here i come.

So what i shared is, kinda small project of mine based on my interest toward radar.

The AESA Radar range calculator here is an excel spreadsheet, made based on several books like SKolnik's 3rd Introduction to Radar system, Stimson's 2nd Edition of Introduction Airborne Radar and others.

The calculator will attempt to predict radar ranges based on inputted variables and taking account of some important things that for some reason not considered by other calculators like pulse integration, scan sectors and most importantly the antenna weighting scheme.

As we know AESA Radar or perhaps even its Hybrid Array sibling like N011M Bars is capable of actually altering its radiation pattern, based on algorithms like Taylor, Cos, Hamming. etc. Even special algorithm has been developed for AESA. The change in radiation pattern allows reduction in sidelobe, beamwidth optimizations, or even total split of the aperture into several smaller one for search. In cost of efficiency and angular resolution.

This calculator however are still what you call as "Noise limited", basically it's not taking account things like ground clutter or weather. However i think for case like high altitude combat, it's good.

It has simple interface and i believe quite easy to understand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	esa_feature_by_stealthflanker-db04d9s.png 
Views:	406 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	252015

The download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7wrkys...CalcTrial.xlsx

critics and suggestion are welcome.

Very detail , i love it.

Great work.. congrats.. far more advanced and detailed that I could ever have gathered together..

one thing if I might ask.. is it possible to upgrade a radar with an antenna of a certain aperture and certain amount of elements by replacing the antenna with a different one with larger TRM count? Say your APG-77 has 2,000 TRMs, today, could it get a 2,700-TRM array one day? I am quite sure that the R&D and technology enable to pack the TRMs into tighter space, but ain't the physical dimensions of the emitter/receiver limited/dictated by the respective radar band?

thanks

AFAIK, Too narrow spacing between T/R modules may cause the system to have bad overheat or mutual coupling

Looks great.

What are the parameters which control beamwidth? I always taught about a AESA that concentrates the RF energy via resonance and hence achieves greater ranges. At some point the amount of airspace electronically scanned would increase the time for a complete scan of the hemisphere too much. But for specialized purposes such as target illumination, could the beamwidth be significantly improved compared to a PESA?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeD View Post
    Looks great.

What are the parameters which control beamwidth? I always taught about a AESA that concentrates the RF energy via resonance and hence achieves greater ranges. At some point the amount of airspace electronically scanned would increase the time for a complete scan of the hemisphere too much. But for specialized purposes such as target illumination, could the beamwidth be significantly improved compared to a PESA?

Thanks.
    The beamwidth of the AESA is directly controlled by the number of its elements, which govern the physical dimension of the antenna. Weighting algorithm can later be introduced to control radiation pattern. However one cannot really make beam narrower unless the antenna is enlarged.

In the calculator the basic equation to calculate beamwidth is :

Name:  The beamwidth.png
Views: 193
Size:  1.8 KB

The resulting beamwidth is later multiplied by the "Beamwidth factor" or "K" from the tapering algorithm drop down menu.

Quote Originally Posted by MSphere View Post
    Great work.. congrats.. far more advanced and detailed that I could ever have gathered together.

one thing if I might ask.. is it possible to upgrade a radar with an antenna of a certain aperture and certain amount of elements by replacing the antenna with a different one with larger TRM count? Say your APG-77 has 2,000 TRMs, today, could it get a 2,700-TRM array one day? I am quite sure that the R&D and technology enable to pack the TRMs into tighter space, but ain't the physical dimensions of the emitter/receiver limited/dictated by the respective radar band?

thanks
    Apparently that's the plan for US AMDR Radar, where they have some sort of "common module" block. So what you need to "upgrade" is Physical space. For fighter radar tho, i am not so sure as the space and power generation there is very premium.

There is of course another consideration of using less modules than what an antenna can actually accommodate like cost or RCS reduction, from edge treatment. Other possible consideration is cost as we know TR module is still an expensive item. Cost issue become critical if you desire to use higher frequency (say 94 Ghz AESA) and wish for a full array. you would need thousands of modules.

Anyway related to cost, i included a small chart depicting several factor and their relations to wavelength. As you see cost increase exponentially when you move to higher frequency (shorter wavelength)

The size of the AESA T-R module is governed by physics. The width is the primary dimension, where it need to be about half wavelength. So for X-band the module's width would be about 1.5 cm for 3 cm operational wavelength. Technology can only goes as far as packaging, cooling and materials.

Quote Originally Posted by garryA View Post
    Very detail , i love it.
    Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stealthflanker; 20th March 2017 at 20:16.

Thread Information