Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: circular runways, the future?

circular runways, the future?

Not a new invention though..

It has been examined as early as WWI. And a few more times during the years. Even though there are some reports that pilots liked it etc I haven't realy analyzed why it didn't develop. I'm guessing it realy has to do with safely landing/takeoff. Personally I can only imagine it's not safe at all.

\\Dan
    Latencia Profecionalis

just remember to make the outer wheel larger and you'll be fine
    the missile will require about five times the G capability of the target to complete a successful intercept.
    -Robert L Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Z1pp0 View Post
    Not a new invention though..

It has been examined as early as WWI. And a few more times during the years. Even though there are some reports that pilots liked it etc I haven't realy analyzed why it didn't develop. I'm guessing it realy has to do with safely landing/takeoff. Personally I can only imagine it's not safe at all.

\\Dan
    Nothing new under the sun.

GPS and computing power solves lots of old idea's problems. I think that can be applied here.

If the Soviets could land a space shuttle with no pilot with that computing power, I think we can have computers taking care of all the variables in this design
    Last edited by KGB; 18th March 2017 at 21:04.

300 000 N on the landing gear (sideforce) for a 280 000lb plane landing at 100knt.
    You gonna need some beefing up, added legs (way more weight) and lower you CG. I am not sure that experiencing the same sensation as travelling in a coupe during an 14 hr flight would be somewhat enjoyable.

Was this designed before or after the Landing on a gigantic treadmill idea?

Name:  true_ps75_side_pro_10_z.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  162.9 KB
    The next runway
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 18th March 2017 at 22:31.

I vaguely remember another idea being floated in Flight magazine during the late 1950's. The problem anticipated was that the next generation of civil airliners such as the Boeing 707 would require lengthened runways. The solution was that runway length could remain the same if it was built on a slight gradient so that the power of gravity was harnessed. The plane would take off downhill accelerating faster than it would under its ordinary engine power and land uphill decelerating all the way as it climbed the slope. I do not recall the gradient but it was pretty slight. I believe that wind direction was a stumbling block however. Often the take off or landing would have to be performed downwind. An interesting concept nonetheless.

Thread Information