Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: H2S Radar Scanner on display - where?

H2S Radar Scanner on display - where?

I recall seeing a photograph showing an H2S Radar Scanner on display in a museum somewhere. Something tells me it might be at East Fortune, or at the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, but I'm not sure. Their website doesn't really help, although it does confirm they have one somewhere, http://www.nms.ac.uk/explore/collect...item_id=220320

In the photograph I've seen, it was mounted 'up in the rafters', so not very accesible.

Does anyone know where this is, and even better have a photograph showing it, please?

Very many thanks,

Andy

If u look at the photographs it looks like this museum has one "in the rafters"
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...w6Hy5WKjY_t-1Q
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

It's in the Ferranti collection shed at East Fortune - last time I looked...!
    Last edited by Lobster; 19th March 2017 at 17:41.
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

There's a later one in a servicing trolley, under the Shack at Mosi

Sorry Lobster, but you're about a year out of date!

It is now on display in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. An image, and a little more information, can be found here: http://www.nms.ac.uk/explore/collect...item_id=220320
    Ian Brown

Very many thanks, chaps!
    That picture is the one I'd seen before.
    Given that the scanner has moved from East Fortune to Edinburgh, what is the status of the other stuff in the Ferranti collection, is it still at East Fortune?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by RadarArchive View Post
    Sorry Lobster, but you're about a year out of date!

It is now on display in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. An image, and a little more information, can be found here: http://www.nms.ac.uk/explore/collect...item_id=220320
    Yeah, amended my post now. The new galleries in Edinburgh are very good and well worth a visit (as is East Fortune).

Are there any working examples of the equipment used in WW2 Bomber Aircraft (H2s, Gee, Pipsqueek and all that other stuff) ?
    Would be fascinating seeing a complete `bomber` setup under power.
    Last edited by hampden98; 20th March 2017 at 15:12.

There are one or two examples of a Gee set-up in museums, for example at the Duxford Radio Society, and in private collections.
    H2S is a very different matter entirely, and one close to my heart. A few places have mock-ups of the Navigator's table, and sometimes drive the H2S indicator and/or the Fishpond with simulated signals.
    If somebody knows of a complete H2S system, please let me know! Meanwhile, I have a slow-burn project to build up a complete system, and get it working to the extent practical and safe.
    Two units I need are a Power Unit Type 280 and a Receiver Type R3515, if anybody knows of either which is available, please. Any condition!
    It is a big gripe of mine that aircraft museums generally have no interest at all in the electronic systems, without which the aircraft simply couldn't do their job.
    Andy

On Avro Lancaster NX611 Just Jane at East Kirkby. Currently visible as the perspex blister is removed during winter servicing

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was talking about British H2S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the system on NX611 is the American APS-15 fitted for its use in the post-war French maritime role?
    Andy

I don't know if she still has it running but there used to be a complete system in Holland:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck0.html

She has a complete NBS (which includes H2S Mk9) as fitted to the Vulcan, and has also built s number of 'miniature H2S' units based on the wartime H2S I'm interested in, using miniature valves.
    I'm focussing on the wartime systems fitted to the RAF bombers, so up to MkIII. I do wonder whether there are any of these wartime systems extant in Holland, there are some very good collections there.
    Andy

Have you checked the IWM collections?

Yes, the IWM have a few items, hidden away in their stores. They list a scanner, I currently have a query asking a) where is it, and b) is it accessible for research? Nothing on display to my knowledge.

Thread Information