Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: FHC Mosquito new scheme

FHC Mosquito new scheme

https://www.facebook.com/flyingherit...type=3&theater
    NS 838 ...The FHC’s Mosquito is back form the paint shop and nearly finished. Flight Officer Alan Wagner of No. 605 Squadron flew “Wag’s War-Wagon” and became an ace in the plane on the night of March 5/6, 1944. Wagner often flew with his navigator Flight Officer “Pip” Orringe.

The plane’s standard factory camouflage was later overshot with an “Intruder Scheme,” a night black underside. After its March 5/6, 1944 mission, Wagner’s aircraft carried two victory markings for Japanese aircraft Wagner claimed over Ceylon (today Sri Lanka) earlier in the war, along with three marks for German aircraft shot down—two Me 410s and a Fw 190. An FHC mechanic will be hand-painting the personal markings on the plane in the upcoming days.

In total, Wagner shot down nine confirmed enemy aircraft and two V-1s. Tragically, he was killed while chasing a V-1 “buzz bomb” in heavy fog when his speeding Tempest fighter struck the ground in July of 1944. He was 29 years old.
    Last edited by scotavia; 14th March 2017 at 18:28. Reason: added more

Well, a tiny bit of me is sad that it doesn't carry a genuine T.3 scheme, but then again it looks absolutely wonderful in the night intruder scheme. Wow!
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Nice!

I did like it in silver, mind you!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Hi All,
    Scotavia,
    Many thanks for this update I hope you don't mind me posting these as it was your thread Three views for those who cannot view Facebook...

Geoff.

This really does look fantastic. Thank goodness it isn't gloss!
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

From memory FHC doesn't have any of its camo'd aircraft in gloss so I don't know if that was ever a possibility.

A worthy story to be told. It's sobering to think I'm the same age Wagner was when he was killed.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ View Post
    From memory FHC doesn't have any of its camo'd aircraft in gloss so I don't know if that was ever a possibility.
    An affordable luxury if it's an always hangared, Seldom-flown aircraft and the owner has more money than the Queen.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Brendon Deere doesn't have as much money as the Queen, and his Spitfire PV270 has an authentic finish which is weathering nicely (if not in quite the same fashion as an in-service machine).

"AL" Deere Spitfire by Errol Cavit, on Flickr

I was talking to an old frind the other night, and he was showing me the photos of this Mosquito.
    It turns out to be the markings of the aircraft his father (John Little) flew in, and he still has his log book.
    This aircraft also shot down a Dornier.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

FYI Alan,

He (Roger Little) has replied to one the Mosquito photos with a photo of that page of the logbook.

Greg

Thanks Greg.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Thread Information