Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Flypast 1991

Flypast 1991

Request from a friend of mine who is looking for some information from a copy of Flypast sometime in 1991.During that year Flypast did an article on the BBMF and asking if anybody has a copy of the article they are willing to scan and post it up on here?
    Cannot say what month it was printed in unfortunately.

Thank you

Jason
    "For you Hilts one month solitary watching Downton Abbey"

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit158 View Post
    Request from a friend of mine who is looking for some information from a copy of Flypast sometime in 1991.During that year Flypast did an article on the BBMF and asking if anybody has a copy of the article they are willing to scan and post it up on here?
    Thank you
    Jason
    Are You sure about the year 1991 exactly ? I have noticed quite large article on BBMF in this 1994 issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flypast-19...QAAOSwX6VTy6eH

Maybe, this particular issue is what You need ?

Flyer,
    Thank you for your reply, he is adamant that its in 1991 and it showed all the maintenance of the aircraft nothing about air to air article.
    Hoping someone on here will have it.

Jason

Thanks entirely to a lot of work by my other half, she produced all 1991 Flypasts, in order, within a minute or so of my asking if she'd come across them.

Without actually reading them from cover to cover, I can't see anything that would fit that description.
    I would have thought it would warrant a mention on the cover but there's nothing there or in the contents after a quick scan through them.

DHFAN
    First of all thank your good lady for her assistance on this, I have put it too him just now on the phone is he sure that it was 1991 and to be honest he himself is not that sure now- it could be 1989/1990/1992?
    I know its over 24 years ago so could be looking for a needle in a haystack, all he can recall was an article on the ground crews of the BBMF, showing them working on the aircraft during the winter checks etc and an interview with the then Warrant officer in charge of engineering.
    Even thses days I have trouble recalling what I did last year let alone what I read back in the 90's lol

Thank you so very much for helping

Regards

Jason

Last year... I have enough trouble with yesterday without thinking about anything earlier!

I have passed on your thanks and I'm reliably informed that "other years are available".
    We'll have an initial glance at the covers and a more in depth look over the next couple of days.

Likewise. I will see if I can find anything for you, having been a member of Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association for 29 years, I have collected a lot of information, magazine articles etc. relating to the BBMF. If it was 1991, I'm sure the Warrant Officer was Barry Sears, a very interesting man to talk to.
    Regards, Rich.

All I've found so far is a short article in the March 1990 Flypast briefly stating the BBMF maintenance updates for that season.

At the bottom it says a larger article on the work of the BBMF will appear in the annual Airshow 1990. Could that be the one?

I almost certainly haven't got it as I generally don't buy the airshow specials.

Maybe, this issue from July 1992 ?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-PAST-M...8AAOSwVFlUAvVM

It have the "BBMF Spotlight. Colours and crews for 1992" article.
    Last edited by Flyer; 14th March 2017 at 17:17.

I have an article from way back when Tony Banfield was O/C, would that be the one? Don't have the whole magazine, just the article that I kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Maybe, this issue from July 1992 ?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-PAST-M...8AAOSwVFlUAvVM

It have the "BBMF Spotlight. Colours and crews for 1992" article.
    No, that's not it. We've been through 1990, 1991 and 1992.

I think I have the answer to your question after a search of a complete back issues collection I have - Flypast February 1986 - An article starting on page 39 titled 'Living Legends - Inside the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight' - 'Flypast' visits BBMF, to discover the men behind the precious aircraft, plans for the future and the new 'boss' - Tony Banfield. 5 pages 1 of which is in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit158 View Post

Thank you

Jason
    Last edited by skeeler; 15th March 2017 at 14:49.

Good Morning gentlemen,

First of all thank you so much for your kind efforts, and secondly my apologies for not replying sooner but I have been away on a course.
    Have been in touch with my friend who also thanks you for all of your help, he can remember that the WO's name was indeed Barry Sears and that the article showed members of the ground crew working on bits of the aircraft or replacement of parts of the aircraft.

Skeeeler that article could indeed be the one he is talking about, is there anyway you can scan and upload onto this thread for all to see and my friend to confirm?

Again thank you to all

Regards

Jason

From memory I remember a BBMF maintenance article from something like 88/89; I remember it particularly because the colour photos all suffered from Hendon syndrome and had a terrible green cast over them!

Jason,

I have sent you a 'private message' about this, which will hopefully resolve your question?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thank you and have replied, I would like to publicly thank Skeeler for taking the time to scan an article on the BBMF which sadly was not the one my friend is seeking.
    Bit more information, he recalls that one photo showed a member of the ground crew working on a spitfire instrument panel which was out of the aircraft.
    Again thank you all

Regards

Jason

Jason,
    Many thanks for that and for the additional info. I've sent you yet another PM with a link to something that fits your friends description perfectly. This would also be the same article that dhfan referred to in post 8 above. Although I haven't got the other article referred to there from the Airshow '90 magazine a friend of mine does and has checked it, but the picture you describe is not included.

Regards,

Steve.
    Last edited by skeeler; 19th March 2017 at 21:47.

Hello Everybody,

First I would like to thank all who have been involved in trying to help out with this, and a very special thanks to skeeler who has finally found the article in the March 1990 flypast, so my friend was only one year out in the end.
    Dhfan it was indeed the article you spoke of yourself.
    Again thank you for all of your efforts.

Regards

Jason

Thread Information