Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: D-Day Memorial for those that died in that assault

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent

D-Day Memorial for those that died in that assault

The memorial for those who died in the Normandy campaign will be unveiled in the French region on the 75th anniversary of D-Day in 2019.
    The memorial will pay tribute to several thousand sailors and airmen who were lost at sea, and those who died from their wounds after being brought back to the UK for treatment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39171006
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Just what Normandy has been lacking for so long. A memorial to D-Day.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Oh how I have missed your biting sarcasm.
    No wonder people keep misunderstanding you, or is it me.
    Be interesting to see what will be posted.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

For crying out loud!

You can't walk round a corner in Normandy without stumbling over a granite slab, wall plaque, rusting Sherman or micro museum.

This is a blatant waste of money that could go to providing tangible help to veterans of that conflict and the more recent ones. Real people who need and deserve help, not another site for rubbernecking tourists to take selfies at.

No misunderstanding required. The last thing Normandy, or the few surviving veterans need is yet another 'memorial'. Freedom is their legacy.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 5th March 2017 at 17:51.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

I'm with Mogs on this one, £20M! wow, think in these austere times that could be better used.
    Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

So it was me then.

No

A sensible post bringing this to the attention of all of us for discussion.

Moggy

Never been to Normandy. When I first heard the news I thought, "surely there must be a memorial there" !! If Moggy is to be believed, there are already memorials there. £ 20 million, it is going to be some memorial.......!! I do feel better uses could be found for that cash.

I understand (From Howard Tuck who spends far more time there than I do) 170 memorials.

I would put this as an underestimate.

Moggy

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    For crying out loud!

You can't walk round a corner in Normandy without stumbling over a granite slab, wall plaque, rusting Sherman or micro museum.

This is a blatant waste of money that could go to providing tangible help to veterans of that conflict and the more recent ones. Real people who need and deserve help, not another site for rubbernecking tourists to take selfies at.

No misunderstanding required. The last thing Normandy, or the few surviving veterans need is yet another 'memorial'. Freedom is their legacy.

Moggy
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Just what Normandy has been lacking for so long. A memorial to D-Day.

Moggy
    I also tend to agree.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

So what are we saying here?
    Bomber Command Memorial £9m5.
    IBCC £10M.
    How much did the 70 year remembrance events cost?

Couldn't find a thread discussing the above. But then I did only use the forum search engine.

And dare I say how much does the BBMF cost?

There is always something "better" to spend money on, if you applied that logic we would spend everything on the NHS and nothing else.

Normandy is still on my bucket list so cannot comment on the number but certainly take the point.

On the assumption that it is going to be built would it be better placed in one of our embarkation ports?

My view, and of necessity it is a personal one, is that the Green Park Bomber Command Memorial was a small step towards righting the long-standing wrong that was done to the bomber crews and as such was money well spent (if fifty years too late).

The IBCC has been driven partly by local pride in what Lincolnshire contributed and partly as a tourism initiative.

The Brits who stormed the beaches are definitely not without memorials in Normandy, there are many of them. I can't recall one that professes to be all-encompassing, they tend to be by unit, or by location. 'Debarquement' tourism is THE major industry in Normandy, I'm sure the area will be delighted to gain another attraction.

I don't see the need. It looks like most people share that view.

For those who haven't visited (Why not? Get on with it, it is one of the most accessible areas from the UK and a sheer delight to visit) you might like to leaf through the Brittany Ferries publicatiuon. From about page 15 you will see a selection of the exiting memorials and sites.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/me...guide-2015.pdf

The idea of a major memorial at one of the UK jumping off points is very interesting. I wonder where you'd place it?

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 6th March 2017 at 07:41.

paul1867

"embarkation points"

I think that I can vouch for four: Southsea (inc. Churchill tank). Warsash, on the Hamble, and Southampton, near docks. Newhaven, Sussax.

Further to the above, the Imperial War Museum maintains a website registry of war memorials. Type in a location and if something is known, it will come up.

Unusually (!) I am in complete agreement with Mogs on this one. Because of its proximity to the UK, the Normandy battlefields have been saturated by memorials, both formal and informal. You cannot drive for more than a few clicks in any direction without finding at least one or two roadside markers, big and small. Additionally Normandy has some of the finest WW2 era museums found anywhere, plus of course the preserved site at Pointe du Hoc, the Omaha Beach memorial, the Mulberry Harbour, the Canadian Juno centre, Pegasus Bridge etc etc etc. Is anything to be gained by putting up yet another memorial? Probably not. And don't forget that the good people of France also have a view which, from what I hear, is along the lines of enough is enough.
    A Thousand Shall Fall

There is a plaque on the wall of the Rising Sun at Warsash.

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/138708/

I remember it being unveiled in 1980. I Used to sail from the slipway next to it occasionally.

Does a memorial have to be grandiose and expensive?
    Sometimes a small brass plaque in a place where one can reflect is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98 View Post
    Does a memorial have to be grandiose and expensive?
    Sometimes a small brass plaque in a place where one can reflect is sufficient.
    hampden98......... Absolutely agree with you but it would not have the impact of spending £ 20m of taxpayers money and "herself" would not be able to say, ""Prime Minister Theresa May said the memorial would be a "fitting tribute" which would "provide a timely reminder that we should never take our freedom for granted"."" ""The United States and Canada both have D-Day memorials. """ This might also be part of the reason, we have to seen to have one too........
    Last edited by Planemike; 6th March 2017 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtjagd View Post
    the Canadian Juno centre
    To me, visiting that was probably one of the most moving memorials in Normandy When we exited after watching the film even my 34 year old son had tears in his eyes.
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
    http://hamg.co.uk

www.wartime-airfields.com

My late step-mother served as a WREN on HMS Tormentor (the landing craft operational base), and remembered the Commando's cheering as their landing craft set off to France. A few days later she and colleagues were sorting the personal effects of those not coming home, she then volunteered for overseas service and was posted to a PLUTO installation on the Isle of Wight !

She and my late father lived at Locks Heath, near to the Rising Sun at Warsash and visited it often.

Allan

Not taxpayers money - the initial memorial will be paid for out of the LIBOR Scandal fines, although I believe that taxpayers money will be needed for the upkeep.

Like the Bomber Command memorial in London I think this is a case of - too little - too late - as anyone actually serving on D-Day would have been a minimum of 18 (officially, although we know of people being younger) or older, so if still alive the youngest will be 93 in 2019, to be able to visit and remember their fallen comrades, more likely it will be the families of the fallen who will visit.

Allan
    Last edited by allan125; 8th March 2017 at 19:37.

Thread Information