Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wesley Andrew Tierney - Historic Aviation Walter Mitty

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    I think that Scotavia was referring to non commercial activity.
    That would tend to exclude 'ship etc of any type' I would have thought.
    Martin

Rowing boat on the local pond?...
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Back on topic, it seems Wesley Tierney is no longer the curator at the Royal Philatelic Society - didn't take long...

FB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	771 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	251779

FB

"...removed from these duties..." as a volunteer?
    Sounds like there may be a story there.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

There is but sadly, not one for the public domain - it might of course come up in the next case though. Time will tell...
    FB

Perhaps he's just another on of those bipolar ones that maý be a bit more clever and has deep seated problems in the mind, though this is not an excuse to hoodwink those in authority who oversee the safety of others in this pursuit. That said what was the officialdom doing just sitting on thier hands instead of checking his CV, its a definite case of eye off the ball, or was it in play even. Lets hope some good can come from this though not to the detriment of normal law abiding folk

He admitted all offences charged - He is a criminal -

Fraud by false representation
    (1)
    A person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a)
    dishonestly makes a false representation, and
    (b)
    intends, by making the representation—
    (i)
    to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii)
    to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
    (2)
    A representation is false if—
    (a)
    it is untrue or misleading, and
    (b)
    the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

Then I agree with all the above its a shame we still dont have a public whipping in towns or cities or better still the stocks, and I'm not joking either as scum should be treated like that. We have become to pc and to left wing

....and mete out the same punishment for those unable to spell "don't" and "too" correctly also, we'll get those standards raised.......

Irony aside it does highlight complacency at checking CV's and references and the like. Such complacency always leads to issues.
    Last edited by Agent K; 8th March 2017 at 07:27.

My understanding is it is actually very difficult for a civvie to check the validity of academic qualifications obtained in the military - I for one wouldn't know what a certificate from a military college would look like. As mentioned previously, he pleaded guilty to creating fake civvie documentation to support his applications and claims. So all in all a very calculating young man indeed, create documents to back up one set of claims, make sure your other claims aren't checkable.

Certainly thought he had covered himself adequately but he was found out in the end...

FB
    Last edited by Fournier Boy; 8th March 2017 at 11:04. Reason: Spelling

Is it a fact that we have our own British version of the true life Leonardo Di Caprio film; "Catch Me If You Can". Di Caprio plays a young, very efficient con man who pursues a Walter Mitty life as first an airline pilot then as a lawyer. He funds his hedonistic lifestyle by falsifying cheques on an industrial scale, with eventually, the FBI in hot pursuit.

Perhaps Mr Wesley Tierney has seen this film and based some of his activities around this model. The rather strange thing is that these people seem to be rather clever and accomplished, so much so that if they hadn't followed their criminal instinct for the fast buck, they could, in all probability have made an honest success of their life.

This lad certainly seemed to have some talent ,shame he couldn't have done it properly .

In his memoir, Fate is the Hunter Ernest K. Gann mentions his encounters with a similar chap. Although at least he had a legitimate commercial pilots license, but not an Air Transport Rating.

The late Ed Mack Miller was a senior training captain for United Air Lines beginning in the 1950s. His avocation was writing stories for aviation magazines.
    When he interviewed famed Hollywood pilot Paul Mantz, Mantz asked to see his licence, not quite believing a senior pilot would have so prosaic a hobby. Miller wrote that it was the first time anyone asked to physically examine his license.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 8th March 2017 at 13:18.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by trumper View Post
    This lad certainly seemed to have some talent ,shame he couldn't have done it properly .
    Having seen some of the videos he posted online of his flying of complex SEP types, I would say it was more luck. Much as one aeroplane is very much like another, they can't all be flown like a motorglider. This guy remember had done little flying other than a bit of gliding and motor gliding in the air cadets, this does not make a person a talented individual just because they didn't crash, it makes them incredibly stupid and very lucky.

FB

I don't agree with jag that this conman is somehow the fault of the left. Please don't delete me again for saying this, mods. Or if you do, please delete the equally irrelevant right-wing 'position statement' that I was responding to as well.
    Last edited by Beermat; 8th March 2017 at 19:51.

I cannot condone anything this gentleman has done or been accused of, but we must be careful. We cannot assume that every other person is just like us.

From my own perspective, it would appear that the gentleman in question operates in a different plane to the rest of us. That doesn't excuse his behaviour. Not at all. But we must be careful before we judge him. I would suggest that he needs medical, or psychiatric help.

Bruce...I don't disagree with your final sentence, but there could be an easier explanation....he over estimated his abilities (to paraphrase The Treasure of the Sierra Madre..."License, we don't need no stinkin' license") and didn't think he, or anyone else would be harmed. As long as he landed safely (thus ensuring passengers well-being and the aircraft was in one piece) everything was okay.

Accident files are loaded with pilots overestimating their abilities and think nothing bad will ever happen to them.
    The low time pilot that blunders...or willingly takes off...into IMC conditions doesn't have a psychiatric problem other than feeling invulnerable.

This guy is lucky we're learning about him from a court case and not a CAA report.

operates in a different plane to the rest of us

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

It's surprising how many 'fake' pilots have been caught over the years (even flying airliners).

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	344 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	251848

Just in case anyone is interested in some of the "work experience" claims of this young man, the second page of his CV that was being sent out to "non-aviation" companies.

Would be interested in the thoughts and claims being made here.

FB

Gosh! The RAF must be missing such a talented reservist (VRT) capable of filling about 7 full time commissioned officer roles. Need to see my GP I appear to have wet myself.

Some interesting claims in there for sure!

FB

Anyone can believe in their own behaviour and actions, even if the realty is that they are wrong. This man has the potential to make changes and thereby a success of the rest of his life if he decides to do so. For the 'whip him' contributors, this post is NOT an endorsement of his activities, more about the altering of core values and beliefs. Doing so will break the pattern of behaviour and lead to an honest way of living.

https://thewaltercumpershunterclub.w...esley-tierney/

For those that think he is ever likely to change his ways, a little more insight into how deluded he is.

FB

Please also consider that whilst under investigation for charges by both the CAA and the Police, he was still trying to go flying in foreign countries. He was originally supposed to be sentenced in the 22nd February, in the week proceeding his final sentencing, and after the first sentencing had been adjourned, he set up Tierney Aviation!

That's not a person who seems likely to be wanting to change his ways!

FBClick image for larger version. 

Views:	171 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	251874

I guess this forum is akin to the stocks of old. As much as I am uncomfortable with the public humiliation I kind of figure this gentleman would probably think about making his way down to the colonies to bamboozle and flick star dust into the eyes of a whole new audience, and there are a lot of pink coloured countries on the old map of the world. At least good to know.

When I was a younger man one of the frustrations with standing and watching airshows was that the Spitfire pilot who climbed out afterwards invariably had rheumy limbs and face that had been dragged under the hooves in the Stampede of Life! There were no sparkling youth with clean teeth and a full head of hair, much like the black and white photos of old. There were no pert breasted young women swinging their legs over the cockpit side either, just old men with a phone to the ear, getting last minute demands from some banker to settle arrears on a property transaction, or urgent demands from a lawyer to sign something to do with a divorce. For a youngster, it all seemed so far away, before you could run the straps of a dream machine over your shoulder. I didn't see myself in them. I felt it was an impossible dream, for to look 20 years ahead was a lifetime.

Now I know better ! Now my face has has felt the Stampede ! Now I am getting to be a rheumy, balding old man, still climbing in the foothills of my dreams. I will get there, but I will be frightfully short of telomeres on the DNA. I can see that sparkle tooth'd Wes took a shortcut. I can understand him, but I can understand how dangerous he still is. So thanks FB.

I still think the industry needs a makeover. If I ever get to fly in my dream plane I will fit a box under the seat to insert a sparkle toothed, pert breasted young lady 'pilot'. As we come into land, I will slide into the box, and she will pop out, to wave at the crowds, and inspire youth to new dreams ! I will crawl out through a waste hatch into the service trolley, to take an urgent call from a lawyer or worried financial controller, while she glides down the wing like a fabulous butterfly to take questions from the pressing throng. It will be great for the industry! Sales will lift !

Wes would be good in a job like that, only would have to weigh him in and weigh him out when allowing hangar access.
    Still I reckon Wes still thinks everyone else is a mug, the jaunty way he walks out of photos taken at the court room door.
    I sense trouble ahead, and are the distant hooves of the Stampede of Life wheeling around again ?

When I was a younger man one of the frustrations with standing and watching airshows was that the Spitfire pilot who climbed out afterwards invariably had rheumy limbs and face that had been dragged under the hooves in the Stampede of Life!
    I suspect that the owner of a historic aircraft would prefer an experienced 'battered by life' pilot looking after his precious property than some "sparkling youth with clean teeth and a full head of hair".

I'm sure such creatures exist, I know of one, Stevo Hinton - a more sparkling youth would be hard to find.
    And no need to inflate his reputation with spurious claims.

I hope the only sound Tierney will be hearing is the clanking of the leg irons being brought up by the gaoler...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Sady aviation seems to attract quite a number of Walter Mitty type of individuals. Some seek to profit from their illegal activities and others are just sad. I dont know which ones are more dangerous.There is a wide spectrum of people from light aircraft pilots who wear epaulettes and caps, those who supply a service and/or offer expertise and have "knowledge" of every aspect of flying, and maintenance, those who are just eccentric, there are people on forums who argue and state their "expertise".

I havn't named anyone here but can list about 10 without difficulty.

Some of the experts on this forum are "real" experts whose knowledge is without doubt, some are people still at school typing away at their computers. It takes time to work out which are which. There are many threads that I dont bother to look at because of who is commenting, after a while you work out, just like face to face, who is real and who is an a***. Life is too short.
    Robert Whitton,
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Whitton View Post
    Some of the experts on this forum are "real" experts whose knowledge is without doubt, some are people still at school typing away at their computers. It takes time to work out which are which. There are many threads that I dont bother to look at because of who is commenting, after a while you work out, just like face to face, who is real and who is an a***. Life is too short.
    And human nature being what it is, there are some legitimate experts out there one thinks or call an "a***" because he dares to offer an opinion one doesn't agree with, or is from the wrong country, or has a different aviation background.
    In short, one may think he's wrong...when he isn't.
    Since most people on this forum don't provide a CV or fill out the "my profile" part of the forum, there is a huge likelihood of people having more knowledge than one might give them credit for.
    The posters with less experience in aviation history usually make themselves known.
    The truth is most people aren't as clever as they think they are.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 13th March 2017 at 18:58.

Thread Information