Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wesley Andrew Tierney - Historic Aviation Walter Mitty

The Wesley Andrew Tierney - Historic Aviation Walter Mitty

In other CAA news today, a successful prosecution was brought against Wesley Andrew Tierney of Letchworth.

The con-man admitted having deceived his colleagues and friends for 6 years, making out that he held multiple flying and instructor ratings. He also claimed numerous military flying and academic qualifications which have since been proved to be false. In total Wesley confessed to 200 plus flights as pilot in command, and claimed 1700 hours on his CV as well as holding multi-engine, Class Rating Instructor, and Motorglider ratings along with Single Engine Piston. Whilst at North Weald he signed another pilots license renewal, therefore invalidating that pilots license.

He also forged aviation documents in order to obtain employment as an airfield operations officer at North Weald Airfield. In other roles, Wesley volunteered at various Aviation museums, and historic aircraft maintenance companies. He also volunteered at the Shuttleworth collection where he flew privately owned aircraft. Previously he helped on the BBMFs merchandise stall at airshows around the UK.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...icence-9960550

http://www.thecomet.net/news/can_do_..._can_1_4916057

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...gally-12690410

Escaping prison narrowly, Tierney still faces an upcoming trial by Essex Police for the alleged theft of aviation manuals, aircraft spares and historic memorabilia that were recovered by police from Tierneys lock up in May 2016.

He is currently employed as the curator of the Royal Philatelic Society in London.

FB

Astounding

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

More than that, his CV claimed he was a Ferry Pilot for Classic Wings for the last three years. classic Wings are aware!

FB

I'm surprised no-one questioned his "qualifications", taking into account his young age…

Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Unfortunately part of this case was his ability to create documents to meet needs. This included a FISO rating. A very calculating young man.

FB

"employed as the curator of the Royal Philatelic Society...."

Someone will quickly stamp on that activity.

You stole my line…

One hopes that any RAF (VR) rank (if genuine) held by this conman will be stripped from him forthwith. Fortunately his deceit and lies have been exposed before he could kill anyone...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

It concerns me that he is purporting to be a member of the Air Cadets with that alleged RAFVR(T) rank. I vaguely remember him as a cadet (not in my Wing). I think I'll drop my local OC Wing a line so that the organisation is aware.. I hope and assume they are...
    Last edited by Auster Fan; 4th March 2017 at 11:18.

That is probably a good idea, I see from various sources there are a lot of questions being asked about his forces claims. At the sentencing comment was made that his military and academic claims are questionable, but obviously although that had come out through the CAA investigation, this case was only dealing with the civil matters. It could well be worth the military conducting an investigation of their own.

I think we will be hearing more of this young man

FB

Amazing what can be done by confidence and bull****, people don't seem to question people like that, they just take everything at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
    Amazing what can be done by confidence and bull****, people don't seem to question people like that, they just take everything at face value.
    Oh yes ,wear a vague similar uniform , carry a clipboard ,look like you know what you are doing and be able to have a understanding of the surroundings and you can get away with murder.

Like Donald Trump..

The father of a friend of mine gained a thirty year career at Westlands by failing the interview but turning up on Monday and doing the job anyway. On pay day he just told them there must be some mistake and got put on the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
    Reminds me of a certain presentation at the RAF Museum.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

In the same thread I agree with comments by both Moggy and Mark12!!!
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

The message from the court's 'punishment'? Commit forgery and fraud and you will get a way with it. £750 fine? How much did he make over those years?
    mmitch.

What puzzles me is how he got to the point where he could competently pilot an aircraft well enough without anyone asking questions if he was doing it illicitly? Did he have significant experience from private flying lessons or the ATC ?
    It's the one you don't see that gets you (usually)...

He didn't undertake any private lessons, he built experience illegally flying a motorglider, then transitioned to flying privately owned aircraft as "safety pilot" and then talked his way into the left seat. He'd then take friends flying who had little to no experience of flying.

FB

I wonder if he took BS lessons from Ruprecht?...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

You do all realise that learning to fly a modern light aircraft is not hard? Its the next part that becomes tricky, flying well and coping with unexpected situations. There are sadly private pilots out there who have passed the first stage but have no interest in developing real skills, and they do like to take friends and innocent relatives on jollies to show off. I have had the misfortune to fly with some of them and it was scary to ponder that they really had passed a test and been let loose.

Unfortunately a highly accomplished con man despite his tender years!

Jeepers !!!
    What a complete and utter pratt. How on earth no one died is amazing, this is not how people should enter and embrace aviation, you have to be honest, keep the ego under control and go the extra nine yards make to make sure all is correct if and when (often ) that is reqd. The more i think about what he did gives me the creeps. The sentence:- Utterley laughable !!!!

The moral:- don't assume--check !!-always. This covers Flying and just as important:- Aircraft maintenance.

Signed out,

Bill T.

No one died because he was not without skill, he was not examined as a private pilot so did not have a licence. People operate machinery on private land without licences . And also consider that you can take a boat/ship etc of any type to sea without any licence and take passengers!

scotavia must be reading about a completely different person...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

I have read many times of pilots complaining of having to send their licences to the CAA for checking/renewal and having to wait for weeks. Didn't he have to send his in to be checked? If so the forgeries must have been good or not checked?
    mmitch.

Why wasn't anyone asking the right questions and did he keep his currency on ubisoft flight sim or sky TV, my other concern is a wider one
    of how many more people like this are out there. Its mind boggling to think its taken all this time to catch him he should serve time on cosicain an iron mask, its people like him that ruin it for the honest people who then have to work twice as hard to make things work. And those in ivory towers who ddon't know anything about life who sit behind desks with a yellow jacket and a clipboard with no experience will win again, and I despise those types as they are the cancer of society its self

Quote Originally Posted by mmitch View Post
    I have read many times of pilots complaining of having to send their licences to the CAA for checking/renewal and having to wait for weeks. Didn't he have to send his in to be checked? If so the forgeries must have been good or not checked?
    mmitch.
    In fairness he wouldn't have had to send his in as there would have been no record of him with the CAA for them to check. Is it common to have your licence checked?, only I've not come across this personally.

I certainly can't recall the last time anyone checked mine. But then again I can't remember the last time I was P1 in an aircraft I didn't own.

Rob P
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by scotavia View Post
    And also consider that you can take a boat/ship etc of any type to sea without any licence and take passengers!
    That's a new one on me; I could have sworn that I had a Department of Trade certificate of competency ... as had everyone else in a position of responsibility on ever ship I sailed on.
    Martin

I think that Scotavia was referring to non commercial activity.

Thread Information