Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Another One Bites The Dust

Another One Bites The Dust

The title refers to a reported buy out of the former RAF airfield, Hullavington, Wiltshire, by Dyson's the celebrated vacuum cleaner manufacturers.

Perhaps a letter or two to Sir James asking for retention of some part of an existing runway as part of the overall development - international visitors etc. might result in just that.

Not a bad idea, he seems to be genuinely interested in our aviation heritage.

He plans to keep much of the base as it is according to the press reports
    Dave Charles
    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron
    Vice Chair North East Land Sea Air Museums (NELSAM)

I've written to Sir James asking whether he would consider retaining all or part of a runway.

Perhaps it can use some vacuuming too.

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    Perhaps it can use some vacuuming too.
    Which may turn up some small bits of Blenheims, Ansons, Oxfords, Chipmonks, and Provosts -- all flyers from RAF Hullavington (um, according to that most accurate of sources, Wikipedia). Hopefully photos of small bits can then be ID'd on this site.
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

It won't be to build a factory. He prefers chinese workers
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Is there still a Harrier GR7 in the car park at Dyson head office; maybe that needs a new home?
    WA$.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxcart View Post
    It won't be to build a factory. He prefers chinese workers
    There is talk about the possibility of building a manufacturing facility.

He does appear to be moving some production back here, whilst in a photograph I saw of his offices there is a 1/1 EE Lightning hanging from the ceiling. The airfield could be in far worse hands.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    He does appear to be moving some production back here, whilst in a photograph I saw of his offices there is a 1/1 EE Lightning hanging from the ceiling. The airfield could be in far worse hands.

Moggy
    I think the Lightning is in the canteen Moggy

Interesting...

I was disappointed to see recently when he arrived somewhere by helicopter, that it was a conventional one, rather than a Dyson one without rotor blades like his fan!
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

I thought parts of Hullavington were a conservation area? My grandfather learnt advanced flying there

I see TV adverts for his new hair dryer...perhaps he'll scale one up to make a wind tunnel.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
    Interesting...

I was disappointed to see recently when he arrived somewhere by helicopter, that it was a conventional one, rather than a Dyson one without rotor blades like his fan!
    Wouldn't a Dyson Helicopter be a Harrier?
    Martin

I've seen a couple of suggestions that Dyson (the man) should step in and buy 558. Apparently he's voiced an interest in owning a Vulcan previously, and others seem to relish the uncertainty hovering over VTTS, so maybe it isn't as ridiculous as it first seems.

According to the ever-reliable TV news, two hangars are slated for conversion to lab/test facilities by year's end. I also wonder if JD's Global Express might fit in?

If so then the chances of the runway staying open could be better than most other options...

Thread Information