Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying Legends 2017

1996 is my pick from that lot!
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61
    While they are among the very best warbird pilots on the planet, their YMCA dance routine could use some work....
    Thanks for using my image….

Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Any word on whether Biggin's 109 'White 14' might attend?

just seen that Bf109 G-12 from Hangar 10 is due to appear at The Battle of Britain Airshow at Headcorn on the same weekend. I might be clocking up some mileage that weekend...

According to some posts on Facebook, Berlin Express will be leaving on its journey to England either tomorrow or Wednesday. Flight spotter/tracker information is supposed to be available when the journey gets going. I can't wait to see the photos of Berlin Express and Frenesi flying over the English countryside - it's going to be spectacular!
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 26th June 2017 at 18:11.

Catalina and Swedish DC-3 added. That's three DC-3s from three countries attending
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

My ticket is booked and mainly for the Berlin Express, but seriously considering Headcorn instead...unless i can get to Headcorn on Saturday...
    http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30343&dateline=131077  0701

Well the list is complete, and with teh first opprotunity to see 5 Hurricanes in formation for the first time in my lifetime, its going to be a good one.
    I feel the need, the need for speed.....or a Spitfire will do.

To be honest I think that this is the weakest line up I have seen. I have not missed a Legends since 1999 and it has been my aviation highlight of the year. The trip from Manchester is not inexpensive so its a shame that there is little to be exited about. No Yaks, Avenger, Invader, Hellcat, P38, B25, Hawker Bi Planes, Sea Fury, all of which should be realistic. Hope there are no more withdrawls or it won't be worth the petrol this year. Just hope its a one off!

I quite like the line up actually although there aren't really any great/abstract show stoppers.
    Quite disappointed there is only one axis aircraft, I was so hoping Biggin's 109 or one of 109Gs in Europe might attend.
    I note that Gladiator G-AMRK has been withdrawn now, why?
    If it wasn't for the range of Hurricanes, the Spit Is , Frenesi and Berlin Express I wouldn't come.
    Too late to cancel tickets?

On a side note, it'd be nice to see some Great War types at Legends too, alas I doubt it shall be so.
    Last edited by Southern Air99; 3rd July 2017 at 22:59.

"...No Yaks, Avenger, Invader, Hellcat, P38, B25, Hawker Bi Planes, Sea Fury, all of which should be realistic..."

I take it that you're not actually serious(?). There are, for example, in-fact two Sea Furies booked for the show. I don't think it is very realistic to expect to have a P-38 or A-26, with only one of each operational in all of Europe (only two B-25's, for that matter), much less a Hellcat, as there are none flying outside of the US - unless you now expect any/every owner to be able to send theirs across the Atlantic just because a billionaire is able to with a couple of his Mustangs.

Yes you are right about the Hellcat of course forgot it has moved on. FL has always been a world class event. One of the best if not the best historic aviation events in the world. I think that more is required to keep that (much deserved) reputation.

Whilst it's easy to remind ourselves of past Flying Legends with say, a 10 plus Mustang tailchase or a record 39 ship balbo, I think we have to say to ourselves that we are lucky that the event is still going all these years on, and that we are very lucky that it can still command such a line up of historic piston aircraft, pilots, (and of course) spectators, from around the world!

Over the years, increased bureaucracy along with increased costs for both operating historic types and laying on an event on the scale of FL (especially post the Shoreham accident), could well have put off both the organisers and operators that participate, for good!

Thankfully though, they have stuck with it, and we can again look forward to a one of kind show next weekend.

But as with anything in life, we shouldn't take it for granted, because in a few years time, we might not be having this discussion at all!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 4th July 2017 at 00:29.
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

My tickets were booked yesterday, haven't been to legends in 10 years, but I thought that if 'Berlin Express' can fly all the way from Texas, I can drive to Duxford from Yorkshire

For me, the prospect of seeing these aircraft is mouth watering, when the amount of historic military aviation I get to see where I live is to say the least, limited.

I am sure that Red Bull would have been providing some of their fleet, but I note that they are due to display at their home F1 Grand Prix this weekend, for which they can not be blamed. The unfortunate start to the season rules out the Shuttleworth Gladiator and the French Spitfire, which kind of brings the omissions to a probable 5 as well as aircraft going u/s. The fact that somebody has flown their aircraft about 5500 miles to be here, across large areas of icy sea and unforgiving (yet beautiful landscaping) kind of speaks for itself.

I know it is a huge effort for all involved to prepare the aircraft, pilots and airfield, not to mention the numerous volunteers, all of which go towards a special event and a great atmosphere.

I for one, am looking forward to the "usual" Mustangs, Hurricanes, Spitfires, Dakotas, Sea Furies etc, etc. It will be my little boy's first legends and he has just learnt to say Spitfire, which would appear to apply to any aircraft with a propeller on the front, so should be a great day for us both...

Big thanks to everyone involved, from someone who lives in an area devoid of the riches seen in the sky around the UK and can only afford to come to Legends now and then.

MM

While on the subject of 'Flying Legends' what about the hanger queen 'Beaufighter' any developments anybody ?

Geoff.

At Blackbush last weekend they ran up a Bristol Hercules engine.
    Now, the Merlin may have a sweet sound but for sheer power that Hercules is hard to beat.
    Would really love to see `something` fly with one or more of those in it!

I'm looking forward to this as always.
    The Fighter Collection should be given credit for how they have managed situations beyond their control regarding airshow rules and the silly advance ticket debacle.
    At least you only just require the car pass and aren't charged for it.
    I have grown tired of the attitude of the IWM of late and from next year instead of just going through the motions and pencilling in the May and September Duxford shows I'm missing them altogether and planning for maybe OW instead.
    I've cancelled my FoD membership because it doesn't represent value for money for me , and besides all that, try renewing your membership! The girl is forever 'away from her desk' ! If an organisation such as B17 Preservation where every penny counts can facilitate online membership renewal and the LLA then so can FoD.
    Flying Legends however is an example of how an airshow should be run and with the paying customer firmly in the forefront of their plans.
    No silly impossible to achieve 'themes' as you are given with the IWM shows .
    Roll on the weekend, I am actually looking forward to going to Duxford for the first time since...........well, last July!

You could join the Friends of the IWM http://www.iwm.org.uk/membership
    Unlimited free entry to People Power: Fighting for Peace (IWM London)
    Unlimited free entry to Fashion on the Ration: 1940s Street Style (IWM North), closes 1 May 2017
    Free entry to IWM Duxford except on special event days and air shows
    Unlimited free entry to Churchill War Rooms
    Unlimited free entry to HMS Belfast

Just an option

At least you only just require the car pass and aren't charged for it.

You'll still pay for it, it's just that the cost is blended into the overall ticket price. This isn't, contrary to some misguided belief, a money making "scam" but to cover significantly increased costs to traffic agencies (police etc.) for the increased management required post Shoreham. IWM Duxford are damned if they do or damned if they don't, however they wanted to give the option to those who park and ride or share cars and therefore don't make direct use of the traffic requirements to not have to pay the charge.

I did take the opportunity to rejoin FoTFC yesterday. Do they send out a membership card or do you print something out ?

Print out the confirmation email as proof of renewal...
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Many thanks Bob !

Just like to say I agree with everything you have said. We are lucky to have the people with the skills, commitment and courage to put on these fantastic shows. For me outside of close family matters Legends and those who create it have provided some of my best memories and I will be forever grateful. I understand that operaters are under great pressure, and I think the aviation community, aviation enthusiasts, and the authorities should do all they can to help. If you look at the cost of a Legends ticket against that of a Football match or music event it is very cheap and I think that if presented correctly (with explanation) people would be happy to pay an extra £5 or £10 to help. I think the aviation community could help by getting together to organise the events calender so major events don't clash and allow key aircraft to attend more shows. The tragic events at Shoreham knocked everybody back and led to much justified scrutiny of airshow safety. However the authorities should not punish operaters and events without justification, and we should all try our best to lobby MP's to support our heritage. If you look at the public interest in the Vulcan and Canadian Lancaster visit it proved that historic aircraft can have a big attraction. I have to say that I believe that the funds pumped into the Vulcan project would have been better spent on sustainable long term projects such as an airworthy UK based Mosquito...but its only an opinion. In truth I will attend Legends as long as we are both are still going - with the odd moan

Initially I was disappointed by the lack of European participation, but the more I think of it, its great to see such a varied line up of uk based aeroplanes, especially the 5 hurricanes. I'm just thankful we have such a prolific warbird industry on our doorstep

hampden98:

https://youtu.be/RdlddbkInWY

The Merlin was at a slight disadvantage, as it was running it at a lower than normal RPM to synchronise with a harmonic on the Hercules, who was running at a higher RPM than normal.

DAI
    Last edited by dairwin; 4th July 2017 at 22:40.

Thread Information