Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: The RAF Museum's forgotten Dragon Rapide?

The RAF Museum's forgotten Dragon Rapide?

When I visited the Conservation Centre at RAF Cosford last year, I asked the Conservation Manager where the Dragon Rapide was? His reply was " we don't have one and as far as I know never have" !

This is the aircraft I was referring to, G-AHED, formerly RL962 as a RAF Dominie seen here 'under restoration' when the RAF Museum had their Restoration Centre at Cardington in July 1977...40 years ago!!! Since then it was reported stored at RAF Wyton and currently with the RAFM storage at Stafford....but why has it been apparently forgotten and not restored and on display in all that time? If the RAF Museum are not interested, then I'm sure someone would buy it and restore it to airworthiness again?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AMB; 21st February 2017 at 09:09.
    Adrian

Just had a look though their official website. No mention of a Rapide or the storage centre at Stafford.

Always good to see another Rapide back in the air........... In its former glory:- http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1450814
    Last edited by Planemike; 21st February 2017 at 09:51.

hi,
    just googled G-AHED/RL962, one of the answers was a article from the Aeroplane June 2006, 5 pages on the RAF Museum Reserve Collection at RAF Stafford, where it says the Dominie is 1 of the 15 a/c frames held here...

regards,
    jack...

I was in Stafford back in August, no such airframe there...

FB

Good question AMB.

I remember seeing this Rapide at Elstree in the 60s owned by Hunting Air Surveys.

Also saw it at Cardington in 1985.

Wrecks and Relics still has it as stored at RAF Stafford.

Would it be possible that the RAF Museum would decide its past restoration due to costs and just secretly scrap it. I certainly would hope not, before offering it to another worthy organisation.

Surely someone within the RAF Museums staff and on this forum can enlighten us as to its present state and condition. After all are we not all part owners as taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdon Boy View Post
    Good question AMB.

Surely someone within the RAF Museums staff and on this forum can enlighten us as to its present state and condition. After all are we not all part owners as taxpayers.

Might be wrong but I don't think the RAF Museum has any funding from Tax revenue.

SFAIK it IS still at Stafford, but well hidden. If you open the link attached, within the report you will see it mentioned as a Dominie. If you click on the serial it opens a picture of it at Stafford. I can quite understand how someone visiting could miss seeing it!

http://www.wattisham.org.uk/visit-stafford-20090202.htm

Perhaps the manager with whom you discussed it didn't recognise it by its civilian name of Dragon Rapide. It is also possible that their computer systems are conflating the DH125-based Dominie (which is now on display at Cosford) with the DH89-based Dominie in store?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Last time I had a look (a couple of weeks ago as I work at MOD Stafford) it was stored where it has been for the past 16 odd years tucked behind a set of Vampire wings. It looks very much as it is pictured above, stored safe and dry.

Anne
    pb::

I have just received this response from the RAFM store manager at Stafford:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our D H Dragon Rapide G-AHED which is stored here at the RAF Museum Reserve Collection Stafford, the aircraft having moved here in 2001 after being in temporary storage at RAF Wyton. Regarding restoration of the aircraft, you will be aware that work was started whilst the aircraft was a Cardington however, with the closure of Cardington and the subsequent moves to Cosford and Stafford via Wyton this put all our restorations on temporary hold. Soon after these moves were completed however our priorities were re-assessed with the need to prepare aircraft for display in the NCWE, Milestones of Flight and the WWI Exhibition, all with a fairly limited staff and all in parallel with the need to manage our planned maintenance of our current display aircraft at both Cosford and Hendon. Current changes at Hendon and Cosford in preparation for the Centenary of the Royal Air Force has further delayed our progress on our restoration/conservation projects and, whilst there are no immediate plans to start restoration work on G-AHED , the aircraft is, and will remain, a part of our Collection and not forgotten.

Regards
    Ian

Ian Alder
    Manager
    Royal Air Force Museum Reserve Collection

Stafford
    ST18 0AQ

www.rafmuseum.org
    Adrian

So its OK but hibernation continues. There is an even more reclusive RAFM aircraft actually on site at Cosford, but in the RAF enclave, namely the former South African Lockheed Ventura. This was acquired in exchange for an ultra rare "spare" Oxford many decades ago. What a shame that the public cannot see and so appreciate it. Some museums in the US display un-restored airframes occasionally pending their restoration. This helps visitors to appreciate the challenges and complexities that the engineers have to tackle when planning a project which can generate postive interest. With the present round of moves and developments at Hendon and Cosford I doubt this Ventura will see the light of day any time soon - so another in deeper hibernation.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Quote Originally Posted by Fournier Boy View Post
    I was in Stafford back in August, no such airframe there...

FB
    Should have gone to Spec Savers! ;-)

I went all over ED when it was at Cardington: I tried (and failed) to get it out and worked on after we had finished HO. The aircraft still has the camera hatch in the floor which is a damned great hole. Wyton did some work on it, but I was told it was not up to standard. I'll try and dig out my shots.
    Interested in what I'm doing? Please visit http://gmsenterprises.blogspot.com/

We restored one of the engines at Cottesmore in the late '80s at the specific request of the RAF Museum.

hi,
    she does not look as complete in consul's post as in AMB's photo, and the Hawk Major and Proctor both look the bee's knee's even if not ready for display...

regards,
    jack...
    Last edited by jack windsor; 21st February 2017 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jack windsor View Post
    hi,
    she does not look as complete in consul's post as in AMB's photo, and the Hawk Major and Proctor both look the bee's knee's even if not ready for display...

regards,
    jack...
    Montrose appear to think that the Hawk Major is ready for display...

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...tion-19-Feb-17

Anne
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by Consul View Post
    So its OK but hibernation continues. There is an even more reclusive RAFM aircraft actually on site at Cosford, but in the RAF enclave, namely the former South African Lockheed Ventura. This was acquired in exchange for an ultra rare "spare" Oxford many decades ago. What a shame that the public cannot see and so appreciate it. Some museums in the US display un-restored airframes occasionally pending their restoration. This helps visitors to appreciate the challenges and complexities that the engineers have to tackle when planning a project which can generate postive interest. With the present round of moves and developments at Hendon and Cosford I doubt this Ventura will see the light of day any time soon - so another in deeper hibernation.
    The Lockheed Ventura is I believe kept in one of the blister hangers on the far side of the airfield. I was told visits to view are not allowed due to the dangerous state of the hanger, H&S reasons.
    A few years ago I went over to one of the other hangers over there to view the Jet Provosts being auctioned off. This hanger was very damp, and I'm under the impression the other hanger is in a worst state.
    So much for being looked after in deep store. Why not move it to Stafford where the storage conditions are better.
    Perhaps the RAF Museum doesn't care much for this type of aircraft. If so then let it go either on loan, or sale to another worthy organisation who could put it on display.
    The same applies to the Miles Mowhawk now in store at Stafford.
    I think this aircraft does not fit in with the collecting policy hence the removal from display at Hendon. Why not display it at Cosford alongside the Comper Swift and Hawker Cygnet.
    I would appreciate comments from anyone with opinions on this particularly the RAF Museum themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdon Boy View Post
    This hanger was very damp, and I'm under the impression the other hanger is in a worst state.
    What gave you this impression. Was something mentioned?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    What gave you this impression. Was something mentioned?

Moggy
    The Lockheed Ventura is I believe kept in one of the blister hangers on the far side of the airfield. I was told visits to view are not allowed due to the dangerous state of the hanger, H&S reasons.

The storage hanger is I believe of a similar type. We were allowed into the one with JPs in, so on my assumption it is probably in a worse state.

Would if possible appreciate clarification if my assumptions are correct.

A lot of the blister hangers at Cosford suffer from 'concrete cancer'. I was told this a few years ago when I was there as press for the airshow. The guide told me that the roof on a few of them have a habit of dropping lumps of concrete on your head without warning!

Quote Originally Posted by warhawk69 View Post
    A lot of the blister hangers at Cosford suffer from 'concrete cancer'. I was told this a few years ago when I was there as press for the airshow. The guide told me that the roof on a few of them have a habit of dropping lumps of concrete on your head without warning!
    I think this justifies my concerns . Why store historic aircraft in this hanger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    Might be wrong but I don't think the RAF Museum has any funding from Tax revenue.
    The RAF Museum is entirely funded by the taxpayer. It's an NDPB of the Ministry of Defence. Funds come the defence budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Consul View Post
    Should have gone to Spec Savers! ;-)
    Agreed, was there all day and even had Isn give a tour of the entire facility. Didn't see it anywhere! Unless it's in a big box...

FB

Here it is arriving at Cosford.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AJ469 Ventura II ex.SAAF 6130 arriving Cosford from Henlow 1992 [SB collection] (2).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	251521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AJ469 Ventura II ex.SAAF 6130 arriving Cosford from Henlow 1992 [SB collection].jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	251522  

I've got photos very much like those somewhere but they are of the Ventura arriving at Henlow not leaving it. About the only difference is the waggon's registration.
    re Cosford's blister hangars, the Assault Glider Group's replica Horsa is/was in one, The group's face ache page has some photo's but no recent updates.

I recall seeing G-AHED at Westwood airfield (RAF Peterborough) in 1952 in its more glorious days serving with Marshalls of Cambridge.
    Laurence

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bond View Post
    Here it is arriving at Cosford.
    Not sure what's more impressive, the Ventura or the V8 engined Leyland Mastiff tractor unit.!

Rob
    Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

B-50D Superfortress parts wanted

wyvernfan@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kavangh View Post
    The RAF Museum is entirely funded by the taxpayer. It's an NDPB of the Ministry of Defence. Funds come the defence budget.
    I stand corrected, but not quite entirely. BAe provide some funding and a lot comes from the National heritage Lottery fund, which, it could be argued, is a form of taxation. Plus there are donations and bequests and revenue from sales and events, location hire etc

BAe provide some funding and a lot comes from the National heritage Lottery fund, which, it could be argued, is a form of taxation.
    I wish Income Tax worked the same way i.e. you could choose whether to pay or not....!!! No one compels you to buy a lottery ticket !!!

Thread Information