Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Swindon Area

Swindon Area

Does anyone have any suggestions of any airfields historical otherwise in the Swindon area that are easy to visit for photographic purposes?

I have a day to spare soon in that particular area and wondered if anyone could suggest places to visit. As I've never ventured over that way in the past.

Thanks in advance over to you guys
    Jamie

Ex - Aircraft Engineer - British Air Ferries

Kemble: nice café, good shots of the Gnat that's parked by the tower and a Britannia easily-placed for photography too. Plus there are always airliners being scrapped, the possibility of something interesting visiting etc.

Brize Norton, Fairford

Thank u. Sounds good. Any ideas on access and security for pictures?

Unless you're very lucky, all you'll see at Fairford is a runway. Good view mind

Brize OK at either end of the runway, but I think you'll soon get bored of A400M, Voyager and C-130Js.

Kemble has food, variety, decent views and access.

Kemble is pretty easy for photos but remember there are two distinct areas. On the A429 is a large lay-by that overlooks the scraping area and the end of the runway. The main airport entrance is off the A433. From the layby go into Kemble Village and turn left, past the station and left at the A433, entrance is about a mile on the left and can be missed. This will take you into the airfield proper. once inside the road splits and left takes you to the tower, cafe and airliner hangars. Right takes you to the Britannia and others. No security issues as airside is all fenced off.
    Rob

you have also got Wroughton of course................

Quote Originally Posted by thedawnpatrol View Post
    you have also got Wroughton of course................
    Any one have the keys......?!!!!!!!

If you go to Wroughton, Smack that annoying American who drives around the place fast and thinks he is funny.... I don't normally believe in violence but he just annoys....

Tony I'm staying in Wroughton but was told the SM collection is closed until March. So I have an invite there later in the year.

Is anything visible outside ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie-Southend View Post
    Tony I'm staying in Wroughton but was told the SM collection is closed until March. So I have an invite there later in the year.

No, sadly. Not since the RN Air Yard was open.

Oh - some nice benches in Wroughton village: Barracuda, Blenheim + one other. Chip shop is worth the wait too

Is that march 2045? Has anybody actually set foot in the hangars in the last 15 years? Wroughton has to be the most inaccessible, publicly funded, museum in the world!

Bit further south than Swindon but you've got Lyneham, Hullavington, Colerne & Down Ampney.

Wroughton has been closed to the public for years. I read somewhere many of the storage hangers have safety issues and I've heard its very very hard to get in there even by researchers, other museums ect.

Oaksey Park, just a few miles from Kemble, if you like G A types.
    Usually a few historic and interesting types there.
    Park up and ask permission first. There usually friendly and accommodating.

If its just airfields you want to view then the hangers at South Cerney are still visible.

I assume the old Vickers airfield of South Marston is totally built over by the Honda factory. Is there any old airfield buildings left?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdon Boy View Post
    I assume the old Vickers airfield of South Marston is totally built over by the Honda factory. Is there any old airfield buildings left?
    Looking at GE it seems that some of the runway is still there - used as a car park?

I live in Swindon and can see the hangars at Wroughton from my house. 'Closed until March....which year'? Very sad that there is the UK's sole Connie in there but no one can see it. This collection is supposed to be 'stored for future generations'.....but they are here now! They had a Lottery Grant bid to develop it as a major aviation museum in the South-West, but they never got it....so the spiders and cobwebs won!
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by AMB View Post
    I live in Swindon and can see the hangars at Wroughton from my house. 'Closed until March....which year'? Very sad that there is the UK's sole Connie in there but no one can see it. This collection is supposed to be 'stored for future generations'.....but they are here now! They had a Lottery Grant bid to develop it as a major aviation museum in the South-West, but they never got it....so the spiders and cobwebs won!
    I have never seen this collection, due to circumstances ,when it was occasionally opened up to the public.
    If its being stored for future generations, what about the present generation! who can remember seeing some of these aircraft when in operation. Don't we count.
    I would be interested in a reply from someone from the Science Museum. What are the future plans. Once again are these aircraft not owned by the public by being a taxpayer.

To be fair to the Science Museum the Handley Page Gugnunc which they have had in store since the 1930's (latterly at Wroughton) has recently gone on display at South Kensington.

I was lucky to go on one of their weekday open days a good few years ago: cracking collection and no-one around. Of course back in the day we were up there a great deal when the warbirds displays, Air Britain fly-ins, Sothebys auction etc were on. Favourite memory was sitting on the grass as BAe's Mosquito taxied past, with its wingtip above our heads.

What happened? Did we live through a golden era and only just realise it?

Did we live through a golden era and only just realise it?
    YES, YES and YES...............!!!!

Last time I was at Wroughton I was staying in the Hospital!!!!! we snook out of the ward and went to the NAAFI for a few pints... only to be recognised.. where was the fun in that

Oaksey Park has also got that stunning Stinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrejet View Post
    I was lucky to go on one of their weekday open days a good few years ago: cracking collection and no-one around. Of course back in the day we were up there a great deal when the warbirds displays, Air Britain fly-ins, Sothebys auction etc were on. Favourite memory was sitting on the grass as BAe's Mosquito taxied past, with its wingtip above our heads.

What happened? Did we live through a golden era and only just realize it?
    Wroughton was run by John Bagley, a real enthusiast. He retired and the incoming management did not share his interest, sadly. Then came along the H&S culture giving the museum a good excuse not to open anymore.

Going back to the original request there is also the jet age museum at Staverton that is worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by farnboroughrob View Post
    Wroughton was run by John Bagley, a real enthusiast.
    Not forgetting Ross Sharp.......

Quote Originally Posted by BrizeWatcher View Post
    Oaksey Park has also got that stunning Stinson.
    The Stinsons now at Elmdon (Birmingham) airport. Owned by the airport manager.Don't know if I will see it there flying between the 777 and airbuses.
    Here's a link.
    http://bhxflightguide.blogspot.co.uk...to-n69745.html

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    There are still some buildings left from RAF Yatesbury, 4 miles east of Calne. Some are noe grade 11 listed but apparently not a lot of preservation work being done. Might be worth a visit. Visit sites such as the RAF Yatesbury Association or something like that. I have happy memories of being sent there twice for Air Radar Training courses uring my RAF career.

Thread Information