Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Anson Props

Anson Props

Can anybody tell me if any mark of Avro Anson had three-bladed props? I've always thought they all had two-bladers but I have been shown a partial photograph of what I think is an Anson (which of course may not be an Anson) with three-bladers. Before I go any further it would be very helpful to know if the aircraft was ever flown with three-bladers.

Thanks in advance
    L9172

I don't remember becoming absent minded.

Never heard of or seen an Anson with a three-blade prop.

That doesn't mean to say one didn't exist but if it did it must have been a test aircraft as it certainly wasn't standard. The Cheetah never produced the power to justify a three-blader and ground clearance with the two-blade prop wasn't a problem either.

Anon.

two bladed only.. any chance of posting the pic?
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Thanks for the responses, it is as I had thought. Therefore the photograph I have seen does not show an Anson and I will seek permission to post it on here.
    L9172

Sorry chaps, I now have permission to offer the photograph up but I can't do it. I received this photograph on an E-Mail and it doesn't seem to want to copy over to this forum. Surely there is an expert on these matters that can help me out here. Please? Come on, I was born probably before this photograph was taken so computing matters are not natural to me and I need help.
    L9172

Can you not download the pic to your own pics in your computer then using PB upload from there.

Hello L9172, see if you can save the photo to a folder on your computer (the desktop works as well). Then when you create a new post here, click on the picture image:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 20.51.37.png
Views: 417
Size:  10.8 KB (fourth from the left).
    In the dialog that opens, select the 'from computer' tab, click on 'browse' and find the image you saved. Then when you're back to this dialog, click on 'upload image'. After that you will see a bit of code in your message (a number with ATTACH codes around it) that will be replaced with the image in question when you post the message.

Hope this helps.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Hi Chaps,

Thank you for your advice about getting the photograph from an E-Mail to this forum but the computer luddite who is your correspondent cannot make it work.

Malcolm - I have managed to download the photograph on to my computer, but from there, well, I am not sure I even have a PB upload, whatever that is.

Archer - I got on a bit better with your idea but when I got to the bit about "... when you're back to this dialog, click on 'upload image." it all went wrong and nothing more happened. However, I did notice that my picture was called a PDF and that was not one of the things on the list of acceptable items in the download window. Perhaps I have to get it onto my computer as something different for it to be acceptable to the forum, but I'm not sure, and have no idea how the achieve that anyway.

I really do want to put this photograph up so that our experts can identify the aircraft at once, but without some assistance I fear I shall never be able to do it. I throw myself on the mercy of those on here who know about these things and ask that somebody tell me, in simple words that this luddite can understand, how to perform this, no doubt, simple task.
    L9172

PB is Photobucket and it is free - you just establish an account and password. Then once you have done that you upload the pic to PB and from PB you can upload it to here by following the prompts in each.

Thank you Malcolm, I shall have a go at that tomorrow.
    L9172

L9172 ...........You are in good company, I would have exactly the same difficulties....!!!

L9172, I have just sent you an e-mail. The problem seems to be that you are trying to upload a PDF file which, as you mentioned, is not an image file. Photobucket will most likely reject this as well.

If you have an image in a pdf file, try right clicking it and see if you can save it in some other form (eg jpg). Perhaps that's what Archer is saying in his email, or perhaps something better.

We've come up with a different solution, here is the photo (front and back) that L9172 was trying to post.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0866 copy.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	633.2 KB 
ID:	251475

Name:	IMG_0868 copy.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	251476
    He has also included this about the photo:
    Regarding the men in the photograph, the one on the extreme right is, I believe, Sgt Brunton, killed in Blenheim Z9595 of 55 Squadron (although he was detached from 8 Squadron at the time) on 12/12/41 but none of the others has been identified apart from a note that the three next to Brunton are WOp/AGs and the other two are pilots. I do not even know where or when the photograph was taken.

Wellington.

I agree. That is definitely a Wellington,with a faired-over nose turret.

And six crew, too.

Far too large for an Anson.

Anon.

To all those who sought to assist me in getting that photograph posted on here - my heartfelt thanks. I am unlikely to have understood much of what you recommended, but the sheer amount of help offered was impressive. To Archer, who came up with the best solution to the problem, from my point of view anyway, to let him do it, thank you very much indeed.

So, it was a Wellington and for that identification I also thank you. I did wonder at that but the shape of the underside of the nose and the lack of camouflage persuaded me it was a large Anson.

Thanks again everyone. Any ideas of where and the unit?
    L9172

Does the faired over turret make this a T.10 or were there other marks with that modification? I don't have my Putnam about Vickers nearby unfortunately.

Too early for a T Mk.10. Rather odd in that it looks like a Coastal aircraft in White but that's too late for 1941 also. It could be Aluminium but that's be even odder for wartime. There may be a rather unusual explanation or the date is suspect.

IF the pilot identification in the photo is correct, and therefore IF the date is therefore pre-December 1941, then the two units quoted, 8 Squadron and 55 Squadron (both Blenheim units at that time) were Middle East/North Africa based. In the light of the pale colour scheme observations above, could that be the 'unusual explanation' speculated - although looking at the photo again, those are very 'British' trees in the background.

No real help - but I do find these identify what/where/when/why photo posts absolutely fascinating!

I suspect that the date is wrong and the people are misidentified, that looks like a late war Coastal Command finish to me.

After all the difficulties over the image, this is now available

http://aircrewremembered.com/anderso...es-harold.html

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thanks Moggy ... but - I've attached a pic to compare Wellington noses - the caption of the photo in your link states Bristol Blenheim IV...

Name:	Wellington nose compare.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	251495

Martin

I think everyone here is in agreement that the aircraft in the photo shown is a Wellington. The Aircrewremembered site may have shown the image just to illustrate the crew involved, the aircraft in the image may not be related to the loss that is described on that page. It might help if someone could have a look at the records of the observer (Sgt. Brunton) to see if he was ever involved with any operations on Wellingtons.

Edit: I am also in doubt about the faired over turret. If you look above the head of the second chap from the right, on the edge of the image there is something that could be the corner of the turret cutout.
    Last edited by Archer; 22nd February 2017 at 12:50.

The picture shows Sgt Brunton, presumably at an earlier posting before the Blenheim unit with which he was lost and which that page is in honour of.

I have not the slightest doubt that the image shows a Wellington. It is unmistakable.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Thread Information