Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockpit-Fest 2017 – 17th & 18th June 2017

Cockpit-Fest 2017 – 17th & 18th June 2017

The final drafts of the 2017 Cockpit-Fest Invitations have been reviewed this week and it is my understanding that these will be circulated to NAM’s mailing list of previous participants by Monday 20th February.

As ever I will try to keep people updated via this thread, but this page on the NAM website will also be a good reference point as preparations come together http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Museum-Events

If anyone doesn’t think that they’re on the distribution list please PM me an email address and I will ensure that it is forwarded on to the event organiser at NAM.

The 2016 event gallery is still live on the NAM website and can be viewed here http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/2016_...t-Fest_Gallery

Looking forward to seeing everyone in June!
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    Please consider supporting Project Panini (Mod)

I will be there with Lynx HAS3 ZD264

That's a nice 'new' one to the event to start the 2017 list, hopefully the first of many!
    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 15th February 2017 at 16:44. Reason: Typo!

I have been advised that the 2017 Cockpit-Fest invitations have now been sent out - if anyone hasn't received details or would like to attend my offer to forward on PM'd details still stands.

Details of the first participants for Cockpit-Fest 2017 have just been added to the NAM website more information in here!

More good news to report regarding BBMF flypasts that have now been confirmed for this event:

Saturday 17th June - Spitfire & Hurricane

Sunday 18th June - Spitfire

NAM website updated!

Details of a consultation process for the 2017 Cockpit-Fest / Aeroboot event have just been added to the NAM website. This mainly relates to the possible co-location of the visiting displays etc. onto the Southfield Site and is explained in more detail on this webpage: http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/C-Fest_Consultation

The webpage contains an email link for feedback and comments, but I can also pick up comments from here and feed them back to the museum.

The proposal is not a done deal, but it is being given serious consideration.

From a personal perspective I feel that it might be a sensible proposal, but the museum is committed to taking on board all feedback in a considered manner.

Interesting, I liked when we were on cockpit alley....on the Main Street per se. Would be nice to see a plan view.

Thanks for the feedback Tony – one of the issues is that now the Ashton has been moved away from the Workshop wall, to permit occasional access, the main concrete area down to Hangar 1 is too narrow for cockpit displays. In a sense a pinch point has been created. There are also a greater number of grassed pitches being requested.

At the proposed new location a cockpit line-up will be created alongside the Aeroboot area. Since the autumn NAM has lost a significant amount of car parking area on the former perimeter track as you approach the museum. As a consequence there has to be a greater reliance on parking on the Southfield Site behind the RAF Winthorpe Memorial; this area is very close to the proposed new display location – hence the offer of an admission point (cash only) right in front of the proposed display area.

I'm visiting NAM this morning so I will try to get them to produce a site plan to show the proposed layout and post it here. This may take a couple of days.
    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 6th April 2017 at 14:20. Reason: Greater clarity!

Sorry for the slight delay, but as promised here’s a copy of the possible new site layout for Cockpit-Fest 2017 & Aeroboot.

The same suggested layout has also been added to this webpage http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/C-Fest_Consultation

I also understand that notification of two more cockpits was received this morning – building nicely!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The only issue I can see is that we will have to stay with our cockpits all weekend to maintain security

The cross hatched areas marked Aeroboot & Cockpiteers now has a low fence (1m) high around it, to separate it from the visitor parking area.

Also part of the idea is that those people camping on-site will have space behind their cockpit to pitch their tent etc., which should help give improved security. (The area behind Hangar 2 - marked on the plan, as car parking & camping, would not be used this time.)

There a few other issues that NAM has identified, but it was agreed this morning to try and find solutions to those matters. So far no critical issues have been raised.

FEST PROPOSED LAYOUT / SECURITY

Thx for layout Howard, I can't see any issues with security as if I did bring a cockpit I'd still go and sleep in my van away from it the way I always do while I've never heard of any theft issues after dark at the Fest - though someone at a Fest did take a switch or something like that from one of AeroV's Meteor's a few years back during the day, which was unfortunate.

In recent years the stretched out nature of the Fest along with intermingled kit for sale was one of the things that made it more of a carnival with a relaxed approach that everyone liked I think. In recent times its been more structured while this arrangement is very structured - atmosphere issues aside, my main concern here though is that due to the concentrating of everything it gives the Fest less presence AROUND the museum - and to show the public from the outset thereby, that its a special event weekend - Tony's aerial flags when he had the Scimitar section up by the shop for example were a useful draw to show people that a special event was on.

There's certainly no harm in trying it however though based on previous reductions in the more 'carnival' approach I mentioned earlier I think it will prove to be that the event isn't spread around the museum enough - which also conveys the added impression of course of making it appear bigger in scope to visitors. Is the Ashton planned to move somewhere else when finished?

If it can be moved elsewhere at some point then the 'Alley' can be unpinched again for other Fests perhaps - I do think this area is important to the Fest as it is an avenue of displays that entices people in and looks attractive, and at present as the museum entrance is here, that would seem to indicate a need to have some cockpits there as a draw. If not, even two aerial flags either side of the vehicle entrance would encourage the perception of a special event - you could even put a cheese toastie on one of 'em..

Thank you for sharing your thoughts GOKONE, which I will make sure are shared with the trustees and event organisers. There are a couple of particular suggestions that I will make sure are followed up.

I would like to take the opportunity to amplify a few aspects of why this proposed change is being considered.

Moving forward it seems increasingly likely that NAM has to place a greater reliance on using the Southfield Site for car parking. Even without the proposed Cockpit-Fest & Aeroboot area changes, cars will be parked in this area first, before then utilising the areas on the old perimeter track approach to the museum.

Due to this requirement NAM needs to try and ensure that visitors waiting to pay their admission fee to the event do not queue out of the Shop door and across the access route to the Southfield Site. This is why a second cash only entrance point is proposed to allow access directly into the proposed Cockpit-Fest & Aeroboot area on the Southfield Site.

In the proposed Cockpit-Fest & Aeroboot area it is planned to have fenced off access and departure routes. The aim of this additional feature is to make it safer for visitors and participants, during set-up and particularly during event packing up on the Sunday afternoon. Some minor safety issues have been noted in recent events, with exhibitors packing up and then driving their vehicles through the site when visitors are still around.

This was particularly apparent in the area between the Workshop and Exhibition Hall, where the Ashton is located. At the moment my understanding is that there is not short-term fix available by moving the Ashton; also I’m not sure what the longer-term plans are with that exhibit.

It is also worthy of note that moving forward, NAM faces a potential switch-round for how the whole site may have to operate. So in the future the proposed new Cockpit-Fest & Aeroboot area could be an essential move and perhaps not even be open to debate.

NAM has just announced on its website that David Gledhill will be launching his new book, “Phantom In The Cold War - RAF Wildenrath 1977 to 1992" during Cockpit-Fest 2017.

As ever full details in here!

Yes. Dave's book launch will be based around the Phantom cockpit section, now wearing 92 (Wildenrath) colours so it will be a fitting and highly relevant backdrop. It is of interest that Dave actually flew XV490 whilst he was at Wilders with 92, the jet, as he puts it, seeming to follow him around the service as he changed squadrons. It is very fitting and a source of great pride that he is so closely associated with the jet today. That name on the side of the cockpit - Flt Lt DG Gledhill - is completely accurate and was actually carried by this jet way back in 1982. The pilot, whose name was also on the side of the jet - Flt Lt T Wheeler - will be with us at Fest, too.

It is hoped that the Phantom will be moved to a new position not too far from where it is now but where it can be seen more easily by the visiting crowds (?). With the main show now planned to be taking place some way away from the Phantom, for it to remain stuck around the corner would place it somewhat remote from the main action - though it will be generating its own crowd.

This will only be a temporary move as with its planned appearance at the Lincolnshire show the week following Fest, on its return to NAM it will be going back round behind the containers again. The book launch will include around ten "guest" ex-Phantom aircrew with some accompanying displays, so it'll be worth not only coming across to obtain your copy of Mr. Gledhill's new book and fill the inside of the cover with the signatures of the visiting crews, but to chat to them about their days flying the Mighty Tomb.

For many of them it will be their first time they have been in a UK Phantom cockpit since the aircraft went out of service in the early nineties so an interesting event is assured.

I am assured by the cockpit's restorers - Paul Wright and Dave Butterfield, that, stencil availability permitting, 490's paintwork will be complete and be fully marked up for the occasion.

Here's to (another) great Cockpit Fest.

Anon.
    Last edited by Anon; 2nd May 2017 at 23:08.

Moving the location for Cockpit-Fest and the Aeroboot to the Southfield Site is not yet a done deal. Evaluation still to be completed on how the car parking went over there this last weekend for the 1000+ visitors who were at the museum on Bank Holiday Sunday (free admission offer as part of the BBC Nottingham Big Day Out).

That said I believe that it is looking increasingly likely, due to a variety of factors. Not least of these is relocating the Buccaneer out into a position in front of Hangar 1, where it will be repainted; create more space for the Shackleton / Hastings Anniversary event in a few weeks’ time; and provide easier access for loading XV490. Add to that a new arrival (hopefully more on that later) then the logic for the move becomes ever greater.

As for final display positions for all exhibits at NAM a lot depends on further site changes that are in the pipeline.

When are you likely to have a decision if the new layout is to go ahead or not??? Thanks

The decision to move Cockpit-Fest external displays onto the Southfield Site alongside the Aeroboot / Aerojumble was taken earlier today -details in here.

Yesterday the NAM website featured a booking update for its Summer Aeroboot/Aerojumble, which runs alongside Cockpit-Fest. It had the following booking information: Saturday 17th June – 32 sellers; Sunday 18th June – 18 sellers.

Full sale info & how to book spaces can be found in here!

All of the Aeroboot/Aerojumble participation passes for the summer sale have been posted out today - still time to book spaces!

Another Cockpit-Fest update has just been added to the NAM website, which shows some additional exhibitor bookings have been received!

Full details in here.

A new listing has just been added to the NAM website that provides a ‘Quick Guide to Cockpit-Fest – as ever details in here!

Via Social Media and other fora, NAM is making the following offer regarding Aeroboot Sellers Listings:

“We are looking to add our traditional ‘Sellers Listing’ page to our website and if any Aeroboot sellers would like to add details you are asked to email them through via the usual contact methods.”

NAM added a further Cockpit-Fest update to its website yesterday – with more exhibitor bookings now listed!

More details in here.

NAM's Twitter feed reporting a fresh increase in Aeroboot space enquiries and bookings for next weekend's event that runs alongside Cockpit-Fest.

The following Aeroboot item is being reported elsewhere for this weekend:

"Slightly later than anticipated, but the first Aeroboot sellers list item has just been added to our website it’s a Chipmunk cockpit from WK640 http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Summer_Seller_List "

Footnote: further info to be added shortly following logging in here. My time on here is slightly reduced at present due to regular problems with advert content phising attacks! Too much hassle to sort out properly!!

Sadly couldn't make today's aero boot, any bargains??

Not sure about any bargains, but it seemed to be quite busy; from NAM Twitter feed:

"A huge thank you to everyone involved today – our busiest #CockpitFest Saturday ever! 500+ visitors & we’re back again tomorrow http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Cockpit--Fest_2017 "

Lots of people about, some interesting conversations, bought a bargain in the boot and was burnt to a crisp in the hottest ever Cockpitfest.

I liked the new layout, it was much easier to find all the cockpits. Heard a couple of sensible suggestions that will be emailed to Howard but these were only minor tweaks.

Thread Information