Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nigel Farage latest news

No, he is still an irrelevance. May has quite cleverly managed to marginalise him, and UKIP, and that awful freeloading dinner he had last week with the Trump was a real embarrassment

As far as him commenting on Farage, I also note that Donald is delaying his state visit to the UK 'to avoid embarrassment' so it is most unlikely the Trump would wish to do any such thing.

In my opinion of course

Irrelevance ? That surprises me. Call him many things and I can quite understand a measure of distaste but, an irrelevance - never !

Perhaps you could elaborate in what way he is relevant other than as light entertainment John?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post

Should Mrs. May come under pressure and be tempted to a Brexit wobble, for example on a time table, Nigel's wagging finger should put things back on track. I surmise that she will be very conscious of his presence.
    John, sadly for Nigel, the saintly Theresa, with all due respect to Nigel, doesn't give a monkeys about him!

As for his effect on the electorate he couldn't even get elected in "safe" brexit seats like Thanet in seven attempts so she may not be too concerned what he says.

She's probably more worried about the backstabbers in her own party! In the unlikely event of a Tory night of the long knives she could be out of number 10 and kicked out on the street overnight like poor Maggie was! *wipes tear from eye"
    After being told he had months to live:.....Enjoy every sandwich....Warren Zevon (died 2003)

Yesterday's man..

For my sins I ended up listening to Farage's show on LBC, coming live from... errrr... Washington. Talk show radio seems to be the perfect habitat for him. He's clearly trying to make a name for himself in the US now, which reinforces my opinion that he's really only interested in himself. Those good people of Thanet and the like who put their faith in him because he wasn't a career politician should perhaps reflect on this. While Farage claims the Brexit vote as a personal accomplishment, he's leaving the heavy lifting up to others and letting UKIP quietly implode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yesterday's man..
    Really?

Even now, you're going to repeat the same mistake that people who are wiser than you or I have been making for years. I wonder how many people have laughed at him during his career when he suggested that Britain would leave the EU? This man has been continuously underestimated, and look at the result.

While mass immigration continues, and remains one of the major concerns for the electorate, it would be foolish to write him off.

I would suggest the correct line should be
    "While mass immigration continues, and remains one of the major concerns for a proportion of the electorate"

A significant proportion, but not the entire electorate.

As an elected politician who rarely attends the parliament he was elected to but undoubtedly still takes the money, he should not be listened to as a 'voice' of the people. As has been said above, it is now all about him.

In my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Perhaps you could elaborate in what way he is relevant other than as light entertainment John?

Moggy

Yes, I'd be happy to do so. I can understand that his detractors would be enthused at the prospect of demeaning his standing by making snide observations re his 'light entertainment' value or any other slight that they could invent to rachet up their total on the point scoring scale.

The fact remains that there are few - very few - who could even come close to matching his achievements. I make two points, both interrelated. He, as the single figurehead of a nascent political party, took on the over mighty, over bearing, mightily well funded EU monolith and did solitary political battle, the ultimately declared intention of which was to remove GB from membership of the EU.

His vehicle was a wobbly, political structure that could, with some difficulty, especially in its early days, be described as a political party - UKIP. Difficulty that is, until a General Election showed UKIP polling almost 4 million votes which translated into a hefty shove to the posterior of one, David Cameron, resulting in a referendum to stay in or to leave the EU. The presence of UKIP could not be ignored, the rest as they say, is history, Nigel had triumphed.

The achievement of one man Nigel Farage in bringing this about is truly colossal. That is one instance of why he is far from an 'irrelevance'. Complementing this as I pointed out in an earlier comment, is his friendship with Donald Trump. If his friendship with the President is as deep as the Press report, then this gives Nigel unrivalled influence and access to the President, which knowledge will sit uncomfortably with The Blessed Theresa of the May who knows that her Brexit actions are under scrutiny and if they do not follow an acceptable path might just impel Nigel to ask the President to exert a little pressure.

If Paddy O'Bama can threaten GB with the 'back of the queue' then Mr. Trump, at the behest of Nigel, and in his own inimitable way can do the same should the need arise. I've lived thru' many General elections, seen many politicians of all persuasions come and go, never have I seen any that possessed the demonstrable moral courage and fixation of purpose shown by Nigel Farage in pursuit of his aim.

I will personally never forget the video images of a solitary Nigel Farage facing the massed ranks of the sneering elites in Brussels. That image reinforces his relevance. It shows just what the determination of one person can accomplish. It is a lesson for any aspiring politician.

Let me add that even if I did not share Mr. Farage's political goal I would still write as I have written - with admiration and respect for his dedicated vision. He is a truly remarkable man.

I think you have outlined in what way he used to be relevant and then rather warped the embarrassing appearances at Trump's heels, but I can't see you have made any case for him having any relevance today.

Name:  Nigel-Farage.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  52.8 KB

This is the embarrassing moment Nigel Farage gives a speech in front of hundreds of empty seats at a high-profile Republican Party event.

Just 40 minutes before the Euro MP stepped on to the stage at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) more than 1,400 delegates had provided a rock concert-like atmosphere as Governors Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindal delivered rousing right-wing speeches.

But as Farage took to the platform at the Gaylord Conference Centre in Maryland he was greeted by more than a thousand empty seats as America’s Republicans choose to enjoy the canapés rather than stomach the Ukip leader’s speech.

Before his arrival his team had expected “a celebrity style reception” with one organiser calling him CPAC’s “rock star”.

But his 20-minute slot hardly drew applause as he talked about immigration while critiquing the policies of his Republican hosts.

Earlier in the day he was overheard joking with his team about the need to avoid any controversy while in America.“ We must make sure we appeal to the homosexual community too,” he mocked.

But hours later, wedged between former vice presidential hopeful Palin and America’s notorious gun lobbyists, Farage greeted those that had stayed saying: “I’m here today as the leader of an insurgent political force in the United Kingdom.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 2nd March 2017 at 14:05.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Moggy,

If Nigel has, as appears to be the case, some influence with Donald Trump, then this surely underpins his current continuing relevance. That much is obvious. Nigel is still to-days man. His column inches pile up and all without the benefit of a seat in the Commons. Other, well established MPs unable to attract media publicity, must be gnashing their teeth in envy.

Quote Originally Posted by j_jza80 View Post
    Really?

Even now, you're going to repeat the same mistake that people who are wiser than you or I have been making for years. I wonder how many people have laughed at him during his career when he suggested that Britain would leave the EU? This man has been continuously underestimated, and look at the result.

While mass immigration continues, and remains one of the major concerns for the electorate, it would be foolish to write him off.
    I'm saying the debate has moved on. Excessive immigration is widely accepted, even in the Labour party as being an issue for the electorate. Sure, things could swing back in Nigel's direction if Brexit doesn't deliver what people assume it will, but by then, UKIP will likely have fired their only MP, and have lost all their MEP's to boot.

I haven't seen anything to suggest NF has any influence with Trump. I recall their last meeting involved Farage hanging around the lobby of Trump tower after explaining who he was to a bemused receptionist until Trump came down to have his photo taken shaking his hand so he'd go away.

That is not influence. I did something similar to Dave Gilmour when I was 15. I don't claim credit for anything on 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' (although the bootleg track 'P*ss off Matt' might be connected).
    Last edited by Beermat; 2nd March 2017 at 16:48.

Other, well established MPs unable to attract media publicity, must be gnashing their teeth in envy.
    I doubt there is much envy since he has become such a prominent figure of fun.

Moggy

I will personally never forget the video images of a solitary Nigel Farage facing the massed ranks of the sneering elites in Brussels. That image reinforces his relevance.
    I saw that video as the most embarrasing attempt by a perennial boor, and he was duly ridiculed by all and sundry ( not including JG of course). A narssisistic man believing in his own importance. Except he isn't important.
    That image reinforces his irrelevance
    he showed himself to be an utter twit.
    Different perspectives.
    Last edited by trekbuster; 2nd March 2017 at 17:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    I doubt there is much envy since he has become such a prominent figure of fun.

Moggy
    Yes, but only to you and other Remoaners. 'Prominent figure of fun' ? I like a joke or three but for the life of me I can't see the 'fun'.

Forget politics for a moment. Is their not a scintilla of respect? Is there not an atom of grudging acknowledgement of this persons startling impact on the world ? Are all the media and press appearances and articles about this man simply a matter of inventive fiction with no basis in reality and unsupported by a significant mass of the electorate ?

Is it your inference that I am a misguided idiot supporting another misguided idiot in pursuit of a misquided political agenda ?

Quote Originally Posted by trekbuster View Post
    I saw that video as the most embarrasing attempt by a perennial boor, and he was duly ridiculed by all and sundry ( not including JG of course). A narssisistic man believing in his own importance. Except he isn't important.
    That image reinforces his irrelevance
    he showed himself to be an utter twit.
    Different perspectives.
    The re-action of envy from intellectually stunted critics.

Yes, but only to you and other Remoaners.
    Pay attention.

Ever since I realised there was a good chance the Scots would pack up their tent and leave I have been a staunch 'out' supporter and voter. My only worry was that the clown-like behaviour of Farage and his chums would distract from the benefits.

Now the spat with the only UKIP MP, the major donor threatening to stand against him (if he doesn't pull out altogether if they won't let him play with the train set) because Farage's chosen successors couldn't organise a pee-up in a brewery, let alone win a seat in the most leave-inclined constituency in the country for their leader.

I suppose you are right. Not comic, more tragic.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 2nd March 2017 at 19:23.

Much of that is for me, not a problem. Now you pay attention. My more or less consistent approach to Nigel is concerned with his undoubted political determination and what it ultimately achieved.

I did not make reference to his paymasters, his successors, some of the idiots masquerading as serious candidates, or any other aspect of UKIP which I found ranged from mildly reprehensible to full on stupid.

No. I confined my remarks about NF to those that were appreciative, supportive and marvelled at his single minded determination to achieve a successful political end, the more especially since it took twenty years to get there.

That is it; nothing more. I repeat my message to all his many vocal detractors: If you wanted to do what he has done, could you do it ? If the answer is a reluctant no, then pay some grudging tribute. Will that happen ? Hell will first freeze over.

Yes. I could. I could identify a common thread of xenophobia amongst the pub talk of the tabloid believers. If I was without principle I could use a degree of articulacy not common in those circles to gain a limited body of vocal support. I could rabble rouse a lot of people into voting for me if I stooped low enough in my message. It's not big and it's not clever - it is a cheap trick that only needs the morals of an alleycat.

Yes. I could. So could a lot of people. We can be proud that we didn't, not that we did.
    Last edited by Beermat; 2nd March 2017 at 22:18.

You're fooling yourself, but, then again, that's nothing new.

To what end?

Only you know. Perhaps it's linked to a distorted belief in one's capabilities.

I said lots of people could be Farage. I can't speak for everyone, but I can for myself when I say I would rather not be. No delusion.

I am sorry I am not impressed by the man the way you are.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Thread Information