Brahmos missiles details

Looks like the Super Sukhoi cockpit mockup with large area displays

HTT-40 in flight

HAL Light Utility Helicopter

HAL LCH

pic credit: Fulchand Kitadikar

pic credit: Rahul Devnath

Indian Army Aviation Corp's head Lt Gen Kanwal Kumar flew on the LCH today

All this is great and I do understand how proud can be India today. However, today they need to put the focus on their export potential. Look at central Europe and all the ex-Mig21 users, south America looking perplex at the perspective to have no air force or being forced to fly antiquated Kfir. Some have even no more Jet to fly over territory bigger and than most European country.

There is a boulevard for the Teja, LUH and Space launches that need to be taken NOW.

And by the way, the Brahmos-mini placard looks very... hummm weird

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
    All this is great and I do understand how proud can be India today. However, today they need to put the focus on their export potential. Look at central Europe and all the ex-Mig21 users, south America looking perplex at the perspective to have no air force or being forced to fly antiquated Kfir. Some have even no more Jet to fly over territory bigger and than most European country.

There is a boulevard for the Teja, LUH and Space launches that need to be taken NOW.

And by the way, the Brahmos-mini placard looks very... hummm weird
    Agreed. There is a push for exports, with Akash and Brahmos being actively promoted. There is talk that Indonesia is interested in the Netra AEW&C. And the LUH and LCH seem to have prospects as well. There were supposed to be customer demo flights on the Tejas trainer, something that hasn't been done earlier. There is clearly a greater focus on customer interaction and this Govt. has made exports a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post

I agree, there should be a sizeable worldwide market for a low cost Tejas Mk1A.

While I have been following Indian aerospace I have not noticed India ever taking timely decisions: too late to buy M2K line; too late to order C-17 before it went out of production; too late in building up Tejas production capacity.

Why is India incapable of making decisions until far too late where aerospace is concerned? A system geared to do everything slowly? Too many people who are used to doing things slowly? People shirking the responsibility of making decisions? The crippling effects of excess bureaucracy? Does corruption come into it - time needed to work out how to get a bribe from possible suppliers before choosing suppliers? Does cronyism come into it?

Where Tejas is concerned, I imagine India needs all production for many years to replace outgoing MiG's, so one can forget about exports except in terms of small orders. Unless the Make in India single engine fighter line gets going and that production is used to replace the MiG's, so releasing some Tejas Mk1A production for export.
    Sum ergo cogito

2 F-414 engines delivered for Tejas Mk2 tests. 6 more F-414-INS6 engines to be delivered for the prototype stage of the Tejas Mk2

GE supplies 2 F-414 test engines for Tejas Mk2 and eyes collaboration for AMCA

Closeup shot of the HAL LUH. Courtesy: Livefist

Saw its flight display at Aero India on youtube..impressive, especially considering that its not even half way through its flight testing.

AMCA

Exclusive- India's 5th generation AMCA targets 2030

As your correspondent reports, the first 1:1 full scale model of India’s fifth generation concept Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) is being built in Bengaluru. Later this year, the model will undergo a series of rigorous tests at an RCS facility in Hyderabad, where the programme team will have its fest chance at seeing how the shape they’ve chosen for the jet deals with radiation. The exercise will be historic. Because it will be the first time India will be specifically testing a stealth airframe.

Cmde C.D. Balaji, chief at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) met with Livefist at the Aero India show for a chat on the programme. ‘This will be our first big learning process. We need to be sure about the conformal antennas and shapes before we finalise the airframe,’ he says. Another very crucial application the team plans to bring into play is computational electromagnetics, to simulate in parallel how the concept jet deals with radar and other assaults built to beat stealth.

‘About 60-70% of the stealth we intend will come from the aircraft’s shape. The rest we are discovering as we develop the aircraft. Nothing like this has ever been attempted before,’ Balaji says. An AMCA model debuted at Aero India 2009, the first time anyone got a sense of what the ADA was looking to build.

The team at ADA expects full-scale engineering development till the prototype stage to take at least a decade. Livefist also learnt that the team now has a specific timeframe for a first flight: 2030, with low-rate production to begin in 2035. ‘If you consider that the LCA Mk.1 will be built till 2024 and the LCA Mk.2, when ordered, should be built between 2030-35, then 2035 is good target for production of the AMCA,’ Balaji says....

HAL HTT-40

Astra BVRAAM warhead details

Light Combat Helicopter

more shots

Thanks BlackArcher for nice clcks. Disappointed though with Tejas display. It seems from videos of aero india 2017, the display by tejas was not as aggressive in Bangalore as it was in Bahrain. I wanted to see tight turns by the LCA in aero show

Quote Originally Posted by Anant View Post
    Thanks BlackArcher for nice clcks. Disappointed though with Tejas display. It seems from videos of aero india 2017, the display by tejas was not as aggressive in Bangalore as it was in Bahrain. I wanted to see tight turns by the LCA in aero show
    I thought that the display was the same as that at the Bahrain Air Show..

Dhruv displaying troop insertion capability

MiG-29 UPG on static display
    Static display of a MiG-29UPG with it's distinctive hump, seen here armed with a R-73 close combat missile, RVV-AE active radar homing beyond visual range air to air missile and R-27R semi-active radar homing beyond visual range missile

Jaguar IM Darin 3 upgrade on static display
    Jaguar Darin 3 prototype 'JM 255' with it's weapons on display.

Seen here are the Griffin 3 LGB, HSLD 450 and HSLD 250 general purpose bombs in the front. On the flanks of the aircraft the CATM-84D1 Harpoon Captive Air Training Missile and CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon cluster bomb can be seen. The aircraft is also equipped with a LITENING 3 laser designator pod.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackArcher View Post
    I thought that the display was the same as that at the Bahrain Air Show..
    ummm well I am assuming from videos posted in tube, the routine seemed different from Bahrain. And no minimum radius turn was seen, as shown in Bahrain. The routine was omre of the same as previous aero India. Or it could be Bahrain Airshow managed to capture better. Also I perceived gripen had displayed more aggressively than lca.

Leaving my above rant aside: From some news coming through it seems french consultancy is needed in helping declaring Kaveri safe for flying and thus paving way for fitting in Tejas.

Also any updates on GTRE-Kaveri front? When will they put SCB in Kaveri and test? They have had SCB for some time now. I am surprised they havent tested SCB in Kaveri yet or have any plans to put them in Kaveri.
    Last edited by Anant; 16th February 2017 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Anant View Post
    ummm well I am assuming from videos posted in tube, the routine seemed different from Bahrain. And no minimum radius turn was seen, as shown in Bahrain. The routine was omre of the same as previous aero India. Or it could be Bahrain Airshow managed to capture better. Also I perceived gripen had displayed more aggressively than lca.
    Check this Youtube video of the LCA at Aero India 2017

Thanks for the pics & news BlackArcher. I must confess I have always found NLCA a pleasure to look at.

One question. BalaJi in his interview indicated end of mk1a production in 2024 and mk2 production from 2030. Surely that cannot be right???

Quote Originally Posted by vikasrehman View Post
    Thanks for the pics & news BlackArcher. I must confess I have always found NLCA a pleasure to look at.

One question. BalaJi in his interview indicated end of mk1a production in 2024 and mk2 production from 2030. Surely that cannot be right???
    yes, it seems that there's a typo..the quote was

‘If you consider that the LCA Mk.1 will be built till 2024 and the LCA Mk.2, when ordered, should be built between 2030-35, then 2035 is good target for production of the AMCA,’ Balaji says.
    Clearly, the Mk2 production should start when Mk1A production ends. That is ~2024. So the time period should have been ~2025-35, for a total of ~123+ Tejas Mk2s.

And yes, the Naval LCA is almost everyone's favorite LCA variant. Mine too.

Last edited by BlackArcher; 16th February 2017 at 22:05.

HAL HTT-40 aerial demo

Thread Information