Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Indian Air Force Thread 21

India joining the MTCR, and suddenly BrahMos range is massively increasing.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/03/11/brahmos/
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
    sad news indeed. He was obviously competent in that role. Perhaps it's time now to have someone coming from the industry? I mean, with the priority given to MII, what better to fit the bill than this?
    Doesn't work that way. In the US-type presidential system, any individual can be appointed to head a department, after being nominated by the President & affirmed by the Senate. In a British-type parliamentary system (as it exists in India), only members of the parliament can serve in the council of ministers.

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Y-20 Bacon View Post
    What should happen next is India changing its Rafale order for Rafale Ms. maybe the IAF doesn't seem keen on it, but the IN seem much more open as reports show they're not keen on their 29ks.
    good point. It's feasible on the production point of view (>24 months) and Dassault could be satisfieed by the jump from 36 to 54.

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    India joining the MTCR, and suddenly BrahMos range is massively increasing.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/03/11/brahmos/
    It was always supposed to be full range as hinted umpteen times. It's just official now.

India mulls Ilyushin airlifter and tanker upgrades

The Ilyushin Design Bureau has reported progress with Indian defense officials on agreeing an upgrade and life extension for that country’s Il-76/78 fleet. It also has offered India the upgraded Il-78MD-90A aerial tanker, and licensed production of the Ilyushin Il-114-300 regional turboprop for both civil and military missions.

At the recent Aero India show, the Indian defense ministry made public its “decision in principle” made earlier this year for a lifetime extension (up to 40 years) and a modernization of the 16 Il-76MD airlifters and eight Il-78MKI aerial tankers already in Indian Air Force (IAF) service. A similar decision is expected soon for the five Il-38SD anti-submarine warfare (ASW) aircraft serving with the Indian Navy.

The Il-114 license offer was made during the show. Production of the type is being restarted at the new location of Lukhovitsy, south of Moscow. According to Russian negotiators, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd has signaled an intent to produce both civilian and military versions of the Il-114 under the Make in India program. The two sides are discussing ways HAL and other Indian companies can supply parts and components to Russia for completion of newly made Il-114s. The issue is expected to be discussed in detail during the next meeting of the inter-government commission on military-technical cooperation.

The Il-114-300 is viewed as a platform for development of a next-generation ASW aircraft to replace the Il-38 whose production discontinued in 1972. The Indian navy has been operating the Il-38SD version since 2010, when its first aircraft underwent a lifetime-extension and modernization program in Russia. But there were extensive delays and performance shortcomings, although these issues have since been resolved. The navy’s five remaining Il-38s are soon due for maintenance, during which they can receive upgrades similar to those now being made to the Russian navy’s Il-38Ns, with the more advanced Novella P-38 sensor suite.

Meantime, following India’s ditching of earlier plans to purchase the Airbus A330 Multi-Role Tanker Transport, the Russian proposal based on the re-engined version of the Il-76 airlifter is again under consideration in New Delhi. The first Il-78MD-90A tanker powered by four Aviadvigatel/Perm Motors PS-90A76 turbofans is taking shape at Ulyanovsk-SP factory. In addition to the engines, it differs from the IAF’s current Il-78MKIs in having UPAZ aerial refueling apparatus redesigned for high fuel transfer rates.

The IAF already uses the new PS-90 turbofans, since they are installed on the three A-50EI versions of the Il-76 that were delivered to India by Beriev for the Airborne Early Warning and Cobtrol (AEW&C) mission. These have been demonstrating satisfactory readiness, which suggests that the IAF Il-76 upgrade will also include replacement of the existing D-30KP engines with the PS-90. Ilyushin is also hoping to sell some new-build Il-76MD-90As to the IAF.

At Aero India, Indian officials confirmed their intention to continue buying the A50EI AEW&C aircraft beyond the two additional ones that are now being completed in Russia at Taganrog. The A-50EI houses an Israeli radar system, the IAI/Elta EL/W-2090 Phalcon.

Speaking of Il-76, recent pic, Russia:

I will personally be shocked if Il-114 actually goes anywhere, but stranger things have happened.

India and Russia on Friday signed two long-terms support agreements for the Sukhoi Su-30MKI combat aircraft fleet, which is the mainstay of the Indian Air Force (IAF).

Both countries signed two agreements in the presence of Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and Russian Trade Minister Denis Manturov.

The agreements include an upgraded schedule for delivery of spares from Russia for these jets, local manufacturing of parts and a proposed logistics hub for the fighter jets in Bengaluru by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL).
    http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...-su_30mki.html

Is this going to transform SU-30MKI availability? Hope so.
    Sum ergo cogito

So this mean, that HAL failed in servicing IAF Su-30MKI, which they are "producing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
    It was always supposed to be full range as hinted umpteen times. It's just official now.
    So what now for export prospects? Can they export cruise missiles with 300km+ range?

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/sta...083648/photo/1

Import Content of various HAL products as released by the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence.

"A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Buran View Post
    So what now for export prospects? Can they export cruise missiles with 300km+ range?
    They can't export missiles past a certain range to non-treaty signatories.
    Now that India is in the treaty, the real range of Yakho---err, BrahMos can be utilized.

Speak of the devil:

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/03/21/brahmos/

BarhMos rep @ LIMA 2017 said the first contract will be signed this year, for an unspecified export customer.

NEW DELHI*—*India's effort to boost the private sector defense industry by exclusively providing big-ticket orders on nomination basis through the enactment of the Strategic Partners policy faces delays.

The current finance minister, Arun Jaitley, who on March 13 also became the country's defense minister, wants to make sweeping changes in this space.
    http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...s-policy-delay

presumably this could also delay the "single-engine" fighter competition?

Russia, India terminate joint MTA programme, says report

The Indo-Russian programme to develop the Multirole Transport Aircraft (MTA) has been terminated, the TASS news agency reported on 24 March.

"Not all projects yield results," Russia's Minister for Industry and Trade, Denis Manturov, was quoted by the media outlet as saying in reply to a question about whether the joint development of the MTA had been terminated. "During the execution of the project, which lasted five years, we did not manage to find such a solution that would be beneficial for the two countries."

"This does not mean that the relations have been broken off," he added.

Manturov said Russia will move to other "more interesting projects" being carried out with India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
    http://www.janes.com/article/69037/r...me-says-report

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

http://thediplomat.com/2017/03/india...al-terminated/

The Indian Air Force is not happy with the selection of the PD-14M turbofan engines and other technical decisions taken by Russian engineers. (Most importantly, India wants the MTA to operate in higher altitudes than the current technical configuration would allow.) The Russian side also wants to increase the program development budget, something that India vehemently opposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    http://thediplomat.com/2017/03/india...al-terminated/

The Indian Air Force is not happy with the selection of the PD-14M turbofan engines and other technical decisions taken by Russian engineers. (Most importantly, India wants the MTA to operate in higher altitudes than the current technical configuration would allow.) The Russian side also wants to increase the program development budget, something that India vehemently opposes.

But in the end India surely has not the option to go alone. So yet again another off-the-shelf purchase ??

And what possible types could replace the MTO ? The C-390, the An-178 ??

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

http://www.tribuneindia.com/mobi/new...da/383308.html

IAF may have ordered another 6 Netra aew&cs systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Deino View Post
    But in the end India surely has not the option to go alone. So yet again another off-the-shelf purchase ??

And what possible types could replace the MTO ? The C-390, the An-178 ??
    C-130J obviously. 12 already scheduled to enter service. Logistically sensible to just set up a local assembly line and order another 2 dozen.

That's if an MTA class transporter is really a necessity, an idea that isn't set in stone. There's a fair argument to be made that a larger number of C-295s along with the existing C-130s & C-17s would suffice instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vnomad View Post
    C-130J obviously. 12 already scheduled to enter service. Logistically sensible to just set up a local assembly line and order another 2 dozen.

That's if an MTA class transporter is really a necessity, an idea that isn't set in stone. There's a fair argument to be made that a larger number of C-295s along with the existing C-130s & C-17s would suffice instead.
    And obviously C130 price will rise due to lower production rates and LM need higher profits from other production lines beside F35.

Broadsword blog- In first, HAL assures 75% availability for Dhruv fleet

In 2013, during the Uttarakhand floods, an embattled army and air force conducted relentless rescue operations for two weeks with 22 Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), flying more than 1,000 sorties to save thousands of lives.

Elsewhere, the Dhruv’s robust Shakti engine, optimized for high altitude flying operations, services the Indian Army’s daunting, 20,000 feet-high pickets on the Himalayan border, including the Siachen Glacier sector.

Yet, the Indian military has one problem with this high-performance, indigenous machine that will form the bulk of its light chopper fleet in the coming decades. It is that only six-seven out of 10 Dhruvs are available to fly at any moment.

That “fleet availability” figure of 60-70 per cent is set to improve. On Thursday, the Dhruv’s manufacturer, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), signed a contract with the defence ministry (MoD) that binds HAL to ensure a Dhruv availability of at least 75 per cent for the next five years.

The MoD says this unprecedented "performance based logistics" (PBL) contract relates to 32 Dhruv choppers being bought for Rs 8,000 crore for the navy and the Coast Guard. It will also extend to an impending contract for 41 more Dhruvs for the army.

This is the first time an Indian manufacturer is guaranteeing the performance of a weapons platform to a buyer through a PBL contract. HAL is charging roughly half the purchase price of each helicopter for providing the services, maintenance, spare parts and inspections needed to keep 75 per cent of the contracted fleet fly-worthy at all times.

“PBL is the purchase of logistics support as an integrated, affordable, performance package designed to optimize system readiness and meet performance goals for the product through long-term support arrangements with clear lines of authority and responsibility”, said HAL chief, T Suvarna Raju.

Calling PBL a “preferred acquisition strategy for defence acquisitions”, the MoD said today: “PBL ensures the availability of products to the customer while the responsibility gets transferred to the contractor. The PBL envisages rewards or penalties based on the performance [of the fleet]”.

While this is the first indigenous PBL contract, India has similar contracts in place for foreign aircraft like the C-17 Globemaster III and the Rafale fighter.

Now this PBL contract will expand HAL’s maintenance responsibility substantially. The Dhruv currently operates off 15 aviation bases, which will go up to 40 bases by the time the new order is executed.

On a visit to HAL, Bengaluru in January, Business Standard learnt that HAL would set up a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) hub in the north and another in the east, from where repair teams could react to maintenance requests from aviation bases in their vicinities.

The Dhruv is the military’s primary light helicopter. This year, HAL will complete delivery of an earlier contract for 159 Dhruvs, of which 83 are utility versions and 76 are an armed version called the Rudra.

Interesting..wasn't aware that the IAF still kept Boeing 707's operational..special missions aircraft apparently. Note the cheek arrays

Pics posted on BRF

Looks like Cheek SLAR , Long time back there was news that Israel has been modifying IAF 707 for ELINT/SIGNIT mission

BTW these are ARC Assets that are run by IAF but managed by RAW/ARC who are the end customers
    Last edited by Austin; 15th April 2017 at 18:58.

I have read that the IAF are to redesign the Hawker Hunter with a new engine and avionics.Only a subsonic fighter needed apparently and some 440 are on order.

Quote Originally Posted by wl745 View Post
    I have read that the IAF are to redesign the Hawker Hunter with a new engine and avionics.Only a subsonic fighter needed apparently and some 440 are on order.
    Where did you read that ?!

Quote Originally Posted by wl745 View Post
    ?!

Check if the article was not written on April the first...

The Indian government has decided to send a team of the Indian Air Force to examine the MiG-29 fleet, which is being replaced by Malaysia, for its use. It will be a value purchase for the Indian Air Force which is short of hundreds of fighter jets since the cost of upgradation is expected to be minimal.

New Delhi (Sputnik) — The Malaysian government has planned to replace the MiG-29 fleet because it is 20 years old. Defense sources told Sputnik that an expert committee will be sent to Malaysia very soon for the purpose.

Earlier this month, the Indian and Malaysian Prime Ministers envisaged greater defense co-operation between the two countries including purchase of MiG-29. "There is a possibility too that India will buy our MiG 29 aircraft for refit. We reciprocate by accepting spare parts for our Sukhoi aircraft program," Prime Minister Najib Razak told the media the end of a six-day visit to India on April 5 as quoted by Bernama news agency.

Malaysia had bought 16 MiG-29s from Russia in 1995 but due to limited hours' training, lots of life is still left in six MiG-29s which are operational in the Royal Malaysian Air Force. India expects that with limited upgradation, the MiG-29s can be available for service for the next two decades. The cost of the upgradation is also expected to be low.

"Malaysia is a friendly country. India has for years supported training of Malaysian pilots by positioning MiG-29 instructors. India has also supported the maintenance of these aircraft and provided spares. India is quite conversant with the technical state of these aircraft. They may also come relatively cheap," said Air Marshal (Retd) Anil Chopra, the team leader of the MiG-21 upgrade project in Russia in the late 1990s.

The upgradation of the Indian Air Force's 67 MiG-29s is nearing completion with 90 percent of indigenous spare parts. "India has an ongoing program for MiG-29 upgrade. We will thus be able extend it to these Malaysian MiG-29 aircraft," Chopra said.
    India to send team to Malaysia to examine MiG-29 jets

it seems like most Russo-Indian partnerships (especially when it comes to new aircraft) are not going well

Thread Information