Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: What may be this panel ?

What may be this panel ?

Dear frieds, good afternoon. This is Roberto, 41 years old aerospace engineer from southern Italy.

First and foremost, excuse me for writing you using a non perfect written English.

I have found this forum searching for a more info about this panel (look at attached picture) that I have bought during my trip in Normandy (France) in 2005.
    I'm not able to find on which plane it was installed. The purpouse seems to be to activate de-icing system.
    Is there anyone there that may help me?
    I appreciate your efforts.
    Thank you very much indeed and thanks to the people are managing this forum.

Roberto Pietrafesa
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pietrafesa; 11th January 2017 at 13:44.

Possibly Nord Noratlas from the aircraft profile ?
    Last edited by FarlamAirframes; 11th January 2017 at 13:57.
    Kind Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FarlamAirframes View Post
    Possibly Nord Noratlas from the aircraft profile ?
    Dear Mr Brian, good evening!
    Yes, it is! Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    I checked on the web, and the airplane is Nord Noratlas.

In the following youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4BMfob8eQ , it is possible to look at that square panel on top right, between minute 3:13 to 3:23 (ten seconds). Exactly between 3:22 to 3:23 it is in the top right corner.

I will check for schematics (pinout), even if I suppose it is so difficult to find anything about.

The panel in my hand is like-new condition. It seems to be like if it never have flown. I have attached 3 pics to show it.
    I tried to feed bulb lamps by DC voltage and, surprise, they works!!! I fed it by 14 Volt DC, since I don't know voltage of that age planes. (probably 24 DC ???) and it is magic when bulbs emitted lights!
    I will put a youtube video next week to sho it.

For the moment, again, I thank you very much indeed!

Sincerely, best regards and best wishes.

Roberto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aIMG_20170111_215939.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	250639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aIMG_20170111_215833.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	250640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aIMG_20170111_215806.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	250641  

Hello Roberto.

The box is for controlling the pneumatic (air inflated) de-icing boots on the leading edge of the wings.

The knob for 1,2,3, and 4 is for selecting the duration and timing for the inflation cycles and the bottom switchers are for selecting the de-icing boot(s).

Very primitive by modern standards but interesting nontheless.

Anon.

Pietra, welcome to the forum. We love a mystery part especially a solved one.

I have looked at the video but didn't spot it, is this panel in the overhead?

It is funny how de-icing panels are always put in out of the way places considering their potential importance.

Thank you Mr Mike (Anon) for your kind explanation. It helps.
    Is it possible to know the voltage feeded on these lamp bulbs? (Voltage and AC or DC type).

Thank you again.
    Roberto.

Moreover, thanks also to you, Smirky, for your welcome. I think I will be not so frequently here, since I'm so far from places where I can share this hobby together other peoples involved, since I live in southern Italy.
    Yes, it is the panel in the first-officer (right seat) overhead. Its importance is always high, but probably not prior against other panels.

Thank you all and good luck for an happy new year 2017 and for all your desires.

Quote Originally Posted by smirky View Post
    I have looked at the video but didn't spot it, is this panel in the overhead?
    I had a bit of trouble finding it but it is directily above the co-pilot's head in the roof of the flight deck, further right of what I would call the overhead panel.

Pietra, a lot of aircraft systems use 28V DC but I am not that familiar with French aircraft systems from that period so I might be wrong. You could try contacting the group that operates the last flying Noratlas, they will be able to tell you more about this I think: http://noratlas-de-provence.com/
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Thank you very much, Mr Archer!
    I have sent them an email. If and when I will receive an answer, I will publish here, in order to help someone are searching for the same info in the future.
    Have a nice day.
    Roberto.

Thread Information