Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: Duxford Diary (2017)

Here, DCW, don't you be rude about that lovely Prentice!

Great photos as always!
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Duxford Friday 18th August:

Some fighters on the move today:

Three aircraft did a formation fly past at 1.30 on Friday afternoon - just wondering if anyone was there who could say what they were? I always pick the wrong time to go in the hangars!

I can show you what they were.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Thanks for that! I only saw specks in the distance, but my 9yr old saw them. This afternoon he told me he saw Chipmunks yesterday - now I understand!

I was stood on the Bailey bridge as PV202 took off and turning to the south chased after the Chippie formation - wonder if there was a bit of daka daka daka going on in the cockpit?…
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Duxford 40 years ago.

Amid the world wide controversy of Concorde landing rights in the USA, Concorde 101 G-AXDN slipped into Duxford on August 20th with a warm welcome from the local population, at least those who were able to get near the aerodrome! The many anxious months and years of waiting have gone and even though it is hard to believe that it has arrived, nevertheless it has already become a familiar sight at Duxford.
    Concorde’s much publicised arrival has put Duxford on the map well and truly but the flight was certainly not without incident.
    From the beginning of August 1977 it was known that the target delivery date was August 17th, but with the arrival of the week beginning the 15th of August, the Wednesday delivery looked like slipping. Wednesday came and the weather was awful, both at Filton and at Duxford, and the delivery was put back a day. Because 101 had not flown for some time it had to be air tested and marked 6000 feet runway test landings had to be successfully completed before it could venture to Duxford.
    Thursday came, the BAC ground crew arrived with lorry loads of equipment, and it was learned that a ‘602’ engine had been borrowed from the current development aircraft ‘202’ – and Concorde ‘202’ was due to fly to the Middle East on Wednesday 27th! This engine change had been necessary because the fourth original ‘593’ Olympus had blown up during testing with Rolls Royce.
    The weather began to clear in the West Country during the afternoon and enabled the test flying to take place, the marked runway tests being successful, word reached Duxford that pilot Brian Trubshaw was stopping the aircraft in under 5000 feet with the aid of a brake parachute, so things looked good for delivery the next day, Friday.
    It was not to be, at Duxford it rained all day and there was much standing water on the runway. Saturday came, the now familiar representatives of the local and national media arrived as did many hundreds of the public who had heard news of the proposed flight on the previous day’s TV. At 9.00 o’clock news came from Filton that during the circuit and bumps testing they had burnt out three of the eight brake hub cooling fans, and being a pre-production aircraft replacements were not available. Shortly after 10.00 o’clock another phonecall, and Concorde 101 was in the air and on its way – but there could be problems with cooling of the brakes after touchdown!
    The heavy braking on Duxford’s 6000 feet runway was likely to cause overheating and the safety valves in the wheel hubs would blow, deflating the tyres. With this in mind the BAC ground crew prepared to do a wheel change on the runway. At 11.05 Concorde overflew at about 4000 feet and there was brilliant sunshine! After some 15 minutes local flying it joined the circuit and with Brian Trubshaw in charge Concorde made a dummy approach on runway 07 to test the visual approach aid, PAPI (precision approach path indicator) a coloured light system kindly loaned by RAE Bedford. On the next circuit the Tower received ‘Delta November Finals’ – it really was going to happen at last!
    Concorde 101 G-AXDN made a perfect landing, on this its 273rd flight, and after a five minute wait on the end of the runway in company with many bulldozers the safety valves held, and Concorde back-tracked to the Western Apron to be plugged into a ground power unit which continued to drive the cooling fans after the four Olympus engines were switched off. The crew disembarked to a great cheer from the capacity crowd.
    The flight crew was B. Trubshaw, J. Cochrane, A Heywood and R. Scott.
    The formal handing over ceremony took place on 22nd October, with Mr J.N. McEnery, Director-General of Concorde and the Nationalised Industries Division, presenting Concorde 101 to our President, Sir Peter Masefield and Chairman Don Selway. The occasion was attended by some 300 guests of the Society and of the Imperial War Museum.

From Duxford Aviation News Dec 1977

Concorde arrival at DX.

Images by Ray Wood

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thanks for the memories guys. As a ten year old I was travelling back from Cornwall with a friends family in their brand new Marina TC that day and missed it (one of the only arrivals at Dx that I have missed). But I do remember my dad telling me about it and the amaount of locals that had turned out and were scattered all around - especially at the end of Dirty Lane opposite the school, to see it's arrival.

Also interesting is Marks photo of the A505 / Hunts road T junction, so different from the chaotic racetrack that the dual carriageway roundabout has become now!

Rob

Great video clip. For a minute I thought I saw an authentic looking Ju-52 transport, but then I came to my senses and realised it was a totally unsuitable and unrepresentative Amiot AAC-1 Toucan and I was being "duped" by the museum of that time. Thank goodness they later "came to their senses" and got rid of it to the harsh "preservation" environment of external display in Poland (after those two DX restorations). Never mind, at least that Comet in the background went on to better things... errr or maybe not...

Duxford Tuesday 22nd August:

Spitfire MH434 returned home this afternoon after an extended stay at Old Warden:

Star visitor was this 1959 Apache, all the way from Insch:

She looks much the same (but not exactly) as this pic from 1960 (?):

(Tony Clarke Collection)

Those two would make a good spot the difference competition!

Roobarb, I recall very clearly standing under the wing of a Comet as a lad in the late 70's or very early 80's (pre barriers days) on a display day that was very wet! A blue camouflaged Bronco was displaying to this appreciative audience and I ventured from under the Comets wing to give him a big wave!! I got soaked and there were dozens of people standing under there. I remember the Comet was white and in RAF markings. What became of it old chap?
    (I'm thinking it wasn't a happy ending, given your reference above).

Unfortunately years of outside display took their toll and it was cut up in front of the "Superhangar". The Convair soon followed.

Thread Information