Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Duxford Diary (2017)

Absolutely stunning photos as always - many thanks to those who give the time and effort to capture and share them.

Good to see 'Frankie' out of the hangar - What's the latest on her? I don't recall her flying for some time. Have I just overlooked her flights or has she been on the ground for some time?

Duxford Thursday 20th July

The DH.9 is quickly coming together

G-CBLI DH.9 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

G-CBLI DH.9 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Visiting Duxford today was T.6 HB-RCN

HB-RCN T.6G by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

HB-RCN T.6G by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Christ, the DH.9 is a lot bigger than I thought!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Daz - try out a DH.4, I was stunned at the size of it! Actually it's likely about the same, the US-built ones in NZ look bigger because of the cowling and radiator arrangement.

It's fantastic to see the DH.9 at Duxford. I'm truly very envious of all of you able to see it up close and, in time, watch it fly. A wonderful achievement.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

I've heard that Duxford uses this Artec 3d scanner to perform quality control and creating individual spare parts for the aircrafts. Can you tell me about it, if it's a true Info. I work with CAD models, and I'm trying to collect info about using 3d scanners in CAD modelling.

It will be great to see the Repro DH9 finally take flight.

Bob T.

I've heard that Duxford uses this Artec 3d scanner to perform quality control and creating individual spare parts for the aircrafts. Can you tell me about it, if it's a true Info. I work with CAD models, and I'm trying to collect info about using 3d scanners in CAD modelling.

I think you will find Airfix use 3d modelling these days for their kits, also these guys.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/aboutus

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/wo...nes-at-airfix/

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/wo...delworld-show/

this is what you want

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/ai...-announcement/

Repro Dh-9 ? It's not a replica .

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy041 View Post
    Repro Dh-9 ? It's not a replica .
    Oh boy. I feel a thread drift coming up...

Surely having the two together for a photoshoot is on the cards?! Lovely!
    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

That's going to cost the museum money unless of course they call the two DH.9's together an 'art installation' and then there will be more than enough money available for one of those.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Duxford Friday 21st July:

The DH.9 is now fully assembled (though final rigging adjustment is still to be done) and is posed nicely in Hangar 3.

Hi Keefy041
    Back in the 1950's/60's, 2 incomplete DH 9's were rediscovered stored in India.
    The best parts of the 2 airframes were used to rebuild 1 which is still on display in India "or was until at least a couple if years ago". What was left over, was acquired by Retrotech, who used these remains to build the DH 9 that is now owned by the IWM.
    There were only ever 2 DH 9's found in India, not 3 as told by certain people who stand to gain from people believing that there were 3.
    Gordon's book also confirms that there were only ever 2.
    I also spoke to the gentleman who was building the repro DH 9 at Retrotech, & he told me that the airframe was basically 100% new build, using info obtained from the parts used to rebuild the IWM's example, & a set of American DH 4 drawings.

Bob T.
    Last edited by sopwith.7f1; 22nd July 2017 at 15:23.

Now I'm confused. I thought 2 were discovered much more recently -late 90's/early 2000's- In India in an elephant house.

And I thought the above plane plus IWM's static are these airframes.

We are lucky that people/companies go to such lengths to restore/re-build/re-make/re-create these lovely biplane flying machines.

Who would have thought 25 years ago that airworthy examples of the Fury, Nimrod, Bristol Fighter, and Demon would grace the skies again, as well and soon to come the DH9, and maybe a Hind and Audax, etc
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

From the HAC webpage..
    Although produced in huge numbers and despite a long career after the war, surprisingly few still exist. There is one in the Musee de L'Air in Paris, and one in the Saxonwold museum in South Africa. There is also a civilianised version in Australia; however, there were none in the British National Collection. Rumours of two or three secreted away in India abounded for years and their discovery and recovery to the UK by Aero Vintage took many years of negotiation and organisation. Aero Vintage Ltd director, Guy Black, was determined to ensure that one at least was preserved in the UK in a national museum, and the other restored to fly.

E-8894, now registered G-CDLI which has the most degraded woodwork, will be restored to fly with an original Puma engine. The other DH9 recovered, D-5649, is being restored to non-flying status with a high standard of conservation and original content, for the Imperial War and will be displayed, unsuspended in the new Airspace hanger, by the time this new building is opened to the public for the first time.E-8894 was one of a batch of 200 DH-9 aircraft ordered on the 23rd March 1918 under contract no. 351/418/C.296 (BR.394) from the Aircraft Manufacturing Co. Ltd., of Hendon. As far as is known, it probably saw no military action before being placed in storage and sent to India under the Imperial Gift Scheme.

An excellent Puma engine has been found, and once restored to fly, this genuine 1st World War aircraft will not only be the only 1st World War bomber flying, but also the only Imperial Gift aircraft flying anywhere in the world. Completion of the flying DH9 is anticipated in 2017. Both aircraft are being restored in the Retrotec workshops in East Sussex. ref....http://www.historicaircraftcollectio...k/dh9_rest.htm

Sopwith 7f1 is slightly adrift on his facts.

I went to India (twice) during 2000 to recover these aircraft. Subsequently, they were re-constructed in workshops (within sight of my home/office) where my wife also worked on admin. So, I have been very intimately connected with the build across the years - right up to now.

As to the number of DH9s recovered, there were two substantial identities but lots of bits of more than just the two - including wings.

Having just counted up the stacked wings in the photos I took in India, we have more than just the sets of wings for two DH9s - unless one of them was a rare DH9 triplane.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

The following report by an Indian source in 2008 illustrates the one displayed in India and also mentions two further examples at the location.
    http://www.warbirdsofindia.com/rajas...arn-mahal.html
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Again, I'm afraid that the content of the 2008 link offered by Consul was not entirely correct!
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

It would be good then if you could clarify what aspects are incorrect. I am not in a position to verify or challenge the reporting, I merely flagged up the source because of the illustration of the one allegedly "preserved" in India. What is the situation with that and what was misreported?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

I am hoping to visit IWM/Duxford on Tuesday, and was wondering if Hurricane G-ROBT/P2902 is positioned so it is possible to get a reasonably clear photograph?
    LAHarveIs this the real life, or is this just fantasy ?

Taken yesterday but no guarantee that it will be in the same position on your visit.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Thanks Brian.
    LAHarveIs this the real life, or is this just fantasy ?

Tim, according to the info board infront of the example displayed at Junagarh Fort in March 2013, there were two dH9s which were used to assemble it.
    De Haviland DH-9 by bill williams, on Flickr

Duxford Sunday 23rd July:

Plenty of action between the rain showers today. Spitfire N3200 was flying Wing-To-Wing, PV202 flew rides and 'MV268' returned from the Weston show:

The Blenheim and B-17G flew up to the Sunderland show:

The intrepid Brendan O'Brien was perfecting his Truck landing technique. Cub G-BPCF, or 'Wicky Wacky Doo De Dah Dah':

Thread Information