Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford Diary (2017)

A couple of mine from today (Friday)

Last edited by ~Alan~; 8th July 2017 at 15:13.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Powerful screen washers on the DC3;

Dc3 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

For aviation images check out my photostream;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/

It was probably the weather that brought people out, but it was the busiest pre-airshow Friday I've seen. I got there at 10:30am and the carpark was nearly full.
    The highlight of the flying being the three Mustangs, managing to land just on closing time. I do hope that when it comes to the airshow, there aren't so many people
    meandering around the parked aircraft.(ground crews aside) They make it awkward for the paying public to get decent photos.

A couple more from Friday

Last edited by ~Alan~; 8th July 2017 at 15:36.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

I have just been told that Berlin Express lost 'a canopy' during the display. Landed safely.
    Whipsnade's most wanted BIG BROWN BEAR!

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    I have just been told that Berlin Express lost 'a canopy' during the display
    Oh b***er.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Some damage to the tail from flying chunks of perspex, according to the pilot on the Tannoy-apparently it disintegrated during his first pass...

OH no, all that way for that to happen on its first display. Trouble is it's hardly a standard item like a P-51D hood would be. Hope they can get it back in the air for RIAT?
    Last edited by farnboroughrob; 8th July 2017 at 19:17.

Seems pretty unlikely unless they brave it and do a flight sans canopy.

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    OH now, all that way for that to happen on its first display. Trouble is it's hardly a standard item like a P-51D hood would be. Hope they can get it back in the air for RIAT?
    I'd be surprised if they can, as I wouldn't think that they have a spare here, or even back in the USA, unless Pacificfighters had a batch of them made (which they may have done with other Malcolm hooded P-51 restorations in progress) but even if Pacific have one 'on-the-shelf' I guess it might be a tall order to get one here, and the a/c repaired in time for next weekend.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

It's not a massive deal to get it over from the States in a hurry - just some cost involved.

Interestingly/curiously, only the actual plexiglass portion came off - the sliding canopy frames were still attached to the rails.
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 8th July 2017 at 21:59.

I suppose the only good thing that can be said about Berlin Express losing its canopy is at least it broke over Duxford, and not half way across the Atlantic.
    Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

Could the perspex have become brittle due to temperatures over the pond?
    Must have been cold over Greenland awnd Iceland.

Something to look forward to tomorrow 5 Hurricanes in formation - just. Yes that smudge in the distance under P3717 is the 5th Hurricane.

From the radio chatter, it sounded as though it was supposed to be in the flypast and then break off for the solo routine.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Was wondering what happened to BE. There was a pic on the tail on FB with no explanation. Quite a dent outboard, smaller one inboard.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

The Horsemen flew a rehearsal display at 1945, with 'Miss Helen' replacing 'Berlin Express'.

Legends. It lacked variety plenty of British and a few American poor show on German aircraft would liked to have seen far more not even the Lancaster showed up or a B25.

Still the sun came out and we had a good time.

Hang on .... so what you are saying is that you bought an advance ticket, but didn't take trouble to look at the comprehensive listing available on the same website explaining what would be on show? You then comment after the event that: "not even the Lancaster showed up or a B25". Hardly surprising as they were never scheduled to do so. I don't go to music concerts then moan because the artists I paid to see aren't joined on stage by unexpected guests I would also have liked to have seen!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Hi. Yes I saw what was on before hand & I saw it lacked the above. Still paid and went had a good time but would have liked to have seen more.

Had more in past years. But I guess as other shows were on the same day the RAF were busy flying over a park or something.

Only managed to get two shots of Berlin Express flying today and both a bit blurred unfortunately. After reading the above regarding the canopy, realise the second shot is minus canopy, and there is a white blurr behind the aircraft. Part of the canopy ?
    Hope these look OK, can never get the hang of how to adjust the size of files to attach on here !!!

P.S. according to file info, shots are one second apart - taken at 14:14:11 and 14:14:12
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4711-30.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	254601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4712-30.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	254602  
    Last edited by RJH; 8th July 2017 at 21:39.

Looks like you did catch some of the canopy leaving the scene! If you look at the following link the thread on UKAR includes some amazing pictures taken at precisely the moment the incident occurred! http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78017
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Your photo also shows some damage to the tail as mentioned over the tannoy. Wonder if they found it. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Pusher
    Something to look forward to tomorrow 5 Hurricanes in formation
    Quite jealous I shan't be there. That really is something that a few years back I wouldn't have thought possible.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

[EDIT: I posted this and Post #596 before I realized that Consul had given a link to some other great photos and analysis, in Post #591. Thanks for that, Consul. I should have paid attention. Incidentally, to enlarge the photos and text on one's screen, hit Ctrl and + as many times as needed. At least on my computer each Ctrl and + zooms in a bit more. Likewise, Ctrl and - zooms out.]

Here is a closeup of RJH's second photo, which clearly shows the cockpit minus the canopy. A closeup of the tail is also seen. Thanks for your photos, RJH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BerlinExpressMinusCanopy.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	254603  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 8th July 2017 at 23:05.
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

2nd pic also appears to show a piece just ahead of, & below the horizontal stab.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

[EDIT: I posted this and Post #594 before I realized that Consul had given a link to some other great photos and analysis, in Post #591. Thanks for that, Consul. I should have paid attention. Incidentally, to enlarge the photos and text on one's screen, hit Ctrl and + as many times as needed. At least on my computer each Ctrl and + zooms in a bit more. Likewise, Ctrl and - zooms out.]

RJH said his photos were taken one second apart. The second one definitely shows both a missing canopy and what looks like debris trailing the aircraft, so I thought I'd offer a crop of the first photo in case it revealed evidence of the canopy's loss. I don't see anything, but maybe someone will pick out evidence I don't recognize.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 8th July 2017 at 23:04.
    "The RAF Museum show has been forensically examined and was deeply unimpressive. I knew that their whale of a story was loaded with baloney".

I know this is really dragging the subject out, but that line that you see on the canopy, and is described as being a "crack" on the UK Airshow Review forum, is simply a reflection in the plexiglass - due to the shape/bulging of the canopy, it is reflecting the silver canopy former/lower frame.

I did wonder if one of the other P51's would be drafted in as replacement.
    Judging by the run in it had the makings of a great solo! Glad Nick is ok and BE not too badly damaged.

John, I think that reflection may be of the white line painted on the wing.....

As a matter of interest, will the CAA have to be involved with this ?

Thread Information