Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Duxford Diary (2017)

Great set!
    I came across an advert in the April issue of flypast stating that Berlin Express was for sale....does anyone know if that's still the case?

"I came across an advert in the April issue of flypast stating that Berlin Express was for sale....does anyone know if that's still the case? "

No, not any more. It was just sold to Dan Friedkin/Comanche Fighters last month (just a few weeks ago) - it had previously been owned by Max Chapman. There of course wasn't going to be enough time to have the aircraft shipped over to England in-time for Flying Legends, so that is why the trans-Atlantic flight quickly came about. "Berlin Express" and "Frenesi" are two of eight flying Mustangs in the Comanche Fighters stable - an A-36 "Apache", P-51B "Berlin Express", P-51C "Princess Elizabeth", P-51D "Frenesi", P-51D "February", P-51D "Double Trouble Two", P-51K "Fragile but Agile", and TF-51D "Bum Stear".
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 5th July 2017 at 17:46.

Berlin express is absolutely beautiful, but Oh those whitewalls!

A couple of pictures from today at DX

Horsemen by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

a3 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Is the Spitfire/Seafire mother and son flying perchance?

Thanks for all the great pictures of the past few days!
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can; motto RAF 19 Squadron)

tracesofwar.com/

More 'Berlin Express' for those looking forward to seeing her ( or not ) at the weekend

N515ZB Berlin Express by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

N515ZB Berlin Express by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Carolyn doesn't display any more

Smart Legends visitor (Travel Air 4000):

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Thanks Fournier Boy, sorry to hear it though.

Thankyou for the reply JohnTerrell I had began to hop she was heading to Europe with them flying her here but sadly not!

Who knows what will happen, I certainly don't. Nick Grey was flying "Berlin Express" today, as you can see in Duxman's shots - perhaps being "sold" on the aircraft(?). Of course Friekdin/Comanche Fighters already has one or two Spitfires in the care of The Fighter Collection.

BTW, I saw mention on a couple of Facebook pages that the repairs to Aero Legend's Spitfire Mk.IX trainer, NH341, have been completed and it went up for a test flight at Duxford today, with John Romaine at the controls. This ahead of the Headcorn air show it is scheduled to appear at this weekend. I believe the HAC Hurricane is supposed to be test flown at Duxford tomorrow, with its new horizontal stabilizers.
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 6th July 2017 at 22:07.

I had a wander around Duxford today.

As ever you discover something new every time. I do get the impression that I was meant to find this today, eighty-two years exactly since what must have been a mouthwatering flypast

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 6th July 2017 at 22:19.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Amazing! Where is the plaque located Moggy?
    Last edited by Moggy C; 6th July 2017 at 23:13. Reason: Duplicate image remove

The best way I can describe it is, if you come in through the guardhouse entrance and turn immediately left so that you are walking parallel to the A505 heading towards the M11, it's on your right before you reach the 1940 Operations room

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

You might also speculate on the purpose of this bizarre chained-off area of grass next to it.

Name:  P1070294.JPG
Views: 2024
Size:  145.5 KB

Moggy

Great to Elizabeth back in the air again so soon after her wheels up landing.

A few of the Mustangs!

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    You might also speculate on the purpose of this bizarre chained-off area of grass next to it.

Name:  P1070294.JPG
Views: 2024
Size:  145.5 KB

Moggy
    Maybe you've found the answer to the ww2 airfield fencing thread question?

"Maybe you've found the answer to the ww2 airfield fencing thread question?"

Do you have the link?
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Jokes apart .....
    IIRC, that was to fence off one of the several anchor points for the support wires for the Station Flag Mast that I think was to the left of this photograph.
    All things being equal, there should be another (mirrored) chained off area to the left or right of of this photograph.
    Whilst there were two more anchor points on the wall of Hangar 3.

Some 10+ odd years ago, one of the two wooden supports for the flag mast failed.
    (for those interested there were two wooden supports embedded in concrete a few inches apart. The flag mast was placed between the two supports and bolts put through supports and the flag mast. Thus removal of the bottom bolt plus support wires, you could lower the flag mast to do maintenance on the top of the pole.)

The IWM decided not to replace the supports and thus the flag mast.
    Still surprised the chained off areas are still there .....

Note : At the time of the flag mast support failure, I recall a discussion as to weather it is a "Flag Pole" or a "Flag Mast".
    IIRC, because it had a secondary flag supports branching off the main vertical section, it was a Mast.
    However, that was like a decade ago, so it could easily be the other way around ...
    I apologise, in advance, if that is the case ....

Street view in Google Maps is your friend ........

Jur

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Nice shots of the Mustangs, but I love that one of Lizzy....
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Street view in Google Maps is your friend ........
    thanks Jur.

didn't think of looking at google .... anyway, the flag mast base is the concrete square behind the blue direction sign, and shown in the top right of Moggy C's original photo ....
    Also, the the rear anchors appear to be at the base of walls for the anti-rooms on the back of hangar 3, not on the hangar walls as I original implied.

Heads Up INCOMING,,,, Miss Helen on her way from the SW
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    The best way I can describe it is, if you come in through the guardhouse entrance and turn immediately left so that you are walking parallel to the A505 heading towards the M11, it's on your right before you reach the 1940 Operations room

Moggy
    Cheers Moggy will look out for it this weekend

As has been said, this is where the flagpole was. The Royal Review plaque used to be on the Parade Square Northside, I understand. When the 78th FG left Duxford, they left a matching memorial to mark their stay. I don't know when they were moved to the public site but they have been there a long time!

The Museum held an air display in 1985 to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Royal Review, with the Queen Mother in attendance. She had been present in 1935 (as the Duchess of York I believe, with no idea of the turbulent times to come the following year). It was a beautiful and enjoyable day, made all the more special by the presence of the Queen Mum.
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Did those who were there today notice if the number of trade stands is about the same as usual?
    I'd heard the layout was changing.
    Ed

"You might also speculate on the purpose of this bizarre chained-off area of grass next to it".

"Is it a Moggy enclosure".

Powerful Screen washers on the DC3!

Dc3 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

For aviation images check out my photostream;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/

Thread Information