Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: This forum is crashing my computer!

This forum is crashing my computer!

Hello all,

I have mentioned it before in another thread but there was no response. The forum was out of action a few days ago for maintenance but the problem persists.

On occasions, Firefox 50 crashes which in turn crashes the computer running Windows 7 SP1 Professional. It happens when hitting the "back-button" to reload the previous page.

Anyone else experiencing the same or a similar problem?

Hi Christer,

i'm just testing the forum using Firefox 50 now.

James

Christer,

I have not been able to replicate the problem as yet. Please could you follow the guide linked below and retest to see if it is still happening.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings

Regards

James

Hi James,

Well, I did follow the instructions and it really made a mess of my installation of Firefox. I had my profile on a drive other than the default system drive but now everything is "default". Luckily, I have a backup image of the system and can restore it quite easily.

The installation of version 50.1.0 was fresh and no add-ons other than FlashPlayer so I doubt that the "reset" has "repaired" anything. I will run it like this for a week or so but since it happens at random, not every day, not even every week but today it occurred twice ... ... it is difficult to isolate the culprit. The first time today was while browsing the historic forum. The second time was while composing my response to the other thread with the "log in" problem. I do however believe that it has something to do with "getting data" in the background for the ads or whatever needs the data. I know that I don't need it ... ... !

Should someone else have a similar problem, I'd like to inform that James and I are working in the background. Firefox has crashed after the "reset" and the last time I noticed that the icon was spinning and the information bar at the bottom read "retrieving data from Key Publishing" or words to that meaning. (My computer speaks Swedish.) I hit the back-button while it was retrieving data as opposed to waiting until it finished. I never wait but next time I will to find out if it ever finishes retrieving data.

I've been visiting every day since December 21 and as long as the loading of data doesn't hang (it hasn't), there is no problem. Maybe the problem returns if/when I get more impatient and don't wait until it finishes? Time will tell!

I've been encountering intermittent hang-ups, which seem to be related to a long running script in some of the associated 'forum' adverts - ironically the 'Expedia' advert seems to be a particular culprit!
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    Please consider supporting Project Panini (Mod)

Forum pages still "bouncing" when loading adverts + now occasionally getting a "snap Chrome has run out of memory" on this forum message.

Just hoping that 2017 will be the year the forum is fixed

Trumper,

Please could you follow guide below please and let me know if that helps.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...DDesktop&hl=en

James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
    Trumper,

Please could you follow guide below please and let me know if that helps.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...DDesktop&hl=en

James
    Hi James ,Thanks for the link.It is ONLY this forum that is the problem ,everything else is fine.The problem for me is the page "bouncing/dropping " down when the adverts load at the top of the page and the occasional aw snap run out of memory message even though all other things are fine.

It happened today while reading Spitfire SM845 for sale and clicking the link to Platinum Fighters which resulted in a lockup of the computer. At the bottom of the page the message was "waiting for ad.doubleclick.net".

I don't know how common this problem is but if it doesn't get sorted ... ... I for one will stop visiting!

Now, I get redirected, as if I have clicked on the ad at the top but automatically ... ... !

On one occasion to: http://www.emp-shop.se/art_207715/?w...345#Q0Cl20Jwk9

You either need to fix this mess or accept losing members!

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour as we cannot replicate it here at all.

James

Today, no problems ... ... this far!

Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    Now, I get redirected, as if I have clicked on the ad at the top but automatically ... ... !

On one occasion to: http://www.emp-shop.se/art_207715/?w...345#Q0Cl20Jwk9

You either need to fix this mess or accept losing members!
    Yesterday, I had no problems (getting redirected) but today I had and with the same advert. It seems like when "emp-shop.se" gets displayed, I get redirected. Swedish ad, a computer in Sweden, is there a connection?

... ... and today again! I click the back-button and if the same ad appears again, I get redirected again. I have to keep clicking the back-button until a different ad appears which does not redirect.

I can't tell which items are loading in the background but quite often, the browser locks up and does not respond ... ... until the loading of "crap" has finished.

I've not had any problems (touch wood)
    I am using Firefox in Windows 10, with Adblocker installed.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Christer,

I'm inclined to think that your problems are with your pc / browser. Could you get it looked at by your local computer shop ?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
    Christer,

I'm inclined to think that your problems are with your pc / browser. Could you get it looked at by your local computer shop ?
    Since the problem is limited to this site only and I have no other problems what so ever, the answer is NO. My computer is a BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components) and I have built some ten other desktops over the years. My backup strategy is based on Ghost Images and I have restored Images without Firefox and subsequently installed a fresh copy of Firefox - no difference!

I could test IE11 for this forum, just to see how that works.

What I might be willing to test next is to use a new Firefox Profile but I would consider it a wild goose chase and a waste of time since until recently, Key worked fine with my current profile. This coincides with the "page jumping up and down while ads load" and there are other people out there having problems/issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    I've not had any problems (touch wood)
    I am using Firefox in Windows 10, with Adblocker installed.
    Alan, which Adblocker?

Adblock Plus

It might also be worth running CCleaner or Malwarebytes ?
    Last edited by ~Alan~; 9th January 2017 at 14:41.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Adwcleaner would also be worth running.

I'm on IE11 now and the difference is that everything is quicker. There is a "jump" when ads load but it happens so quickly that I have no time to move the mouse pointer before it has happened. I see no indication in the message area at the bottom of the browser window of "crap" loading in the background but that may be due to different ways to hide/display what happens. No lockups this far.

Alan, maybe I'll try Adblock Plus or one of the Firefox addons (if Adblock Plus isn't one of them).

About cleaners, well, I'm 99% certain that my computer is clean. I mentioned using Ghost Images as system backup. During the installation, several Images were created, enabling me to roll back the system if a subsequent program installation or update should go wrong. When creating the Images, the computer has never been connected to the internet (with the single exception of activating Windows 7) and it is the same status today regarding the most recent Image. How can that be? Well, prior to installing the monthly batch of updates to Windows, Office and any other program update, I download them to the computer (to the data partition). Next, I disconnect from the internet, restore the Image from last month (affecting the system partition only), install the updates, do a cleanup and create a new Image. The procedure has been the same since "day one" and the computer is as clean today as it was 5-6 years ago when I built it.

The Images do not include Microsoft Security Essentials or Firefox and Thunderbird. After the new Image has been created, those programs are installed. FF and TB are set to use the profile on the data partition, not affected by the procedure of restroring/creating Images. This means that there is a slight possibility (1%) that anything in there is the culprit but I don't think so.

When I finally reconnect to the internet, Windows 7 configures the connection and offers to set up a home network and just like the first time 5-6 years ago, I don't network the computer.

This procedure may seem cumbersome and yes, it takes an hour or so once each month but it's worth it, knowing that the system is clean and also, if disaster strikes (hit by a virus or HDD/SSD-failure or whatever) ... ... the system is back up running within minutes (unless it requires a trip to the shop for a new HDD/SSD).

I have a friend who is a web designer and he has joined the "hate Internet Explorer mob". He optimizes for Firefox and Chrome but not Internet Explorer or Edge. Maybe it's the opposite for the designer of this forum? Maybe it's worth asking about "browser optimization"?

I'm on IE11 now and the difference is that everything is quicker. There is a "jump" when ads load but it happens so quickly that I have no time to move the mouse pointer before it has happened. I see no indication in the message area at the bottom of the browser window of "crap" loading in the background but that may be due to different ways to hide/display what happens. No lockups this far.
    It seems like I spoke too soon. There are delays whith a "spinning icon" when ads load and during that time IE11 is not responding but no "total lockups" this far. Also, I have not been redirected but that particular ad has not been shown while I've been using IE11.

I'm at a loss understanding why this happens on this forum only. My connection is 250 Mbps which should not be "maxed out" and causing delays, right?

Also, I have not been redirected but that particular ad has not been shown while I've been using IE11.
    Now, it showed up but I did not get redirected!

Today it stalled again with a spinning icon. The "plugin-container.exe *32" process loaded the CPU to 30%. When I killed the process, after a few seconds I was able to continue using Firefox.

I think that I'll stop flogging this dead horse and wait for the fresh one ... ... !

I too am experiencing problems with this Forum.......I keep having to re load it, refresh it, etc..........and the odd thing is, every time I come here, 'something' seems to start in the back ground my Computer! (sorry NOT Computer literate at all).......PLEASE sort it out........its one of my regular 'go to' sights daily, but its just a total PAIN IN THE A@@E at the moment.

This forum is getting to be so slow and awkward. Please fix it!!!!
    @webmaster
    Martin

Hi,

We are working on a new version of the forum currently which should fix the problems that have been reported. We will release it as soon as we have finished testing it.

For the time being I have just fixed the top header so that the adverts do not make the page jump down.

James

Thread Information