Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: DH Mosquito FB.VI PZ474 at Avspecs

DH Mosquito FB.VI PZ474 at Avspecs

With Mosquito T.III TV959 moved out of Avspecs in preparation for shipping to FHC, PZ474 (later NZ2384/ZK-BCV/N9909F) has moved into the main Avspecs hangar at Ardmore, New Zealand

Photos from Avspecs engineer Derek Smith's Facebook

Wings Over NZ thread

For flight possibly late 2017, MAYBE at Warbirds Over Wanaka 2018, then to Rod Lewis.
    Last edited by ErrolC; 13th October 2016 at 09:06. Reason: add TV959 link

They don't hang around, do they?
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Hi All,
    Oxcart,
    They don't hangar ound, do they?

Fixed that for you.....

Geoff.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    So, 2019, remake of 633 Squadron?!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Oxcart View Post
    They don't hang around, do they?
    Indeed, and this is the best time to "process" as many flying Mosquito re-builds as possible. The knowledge held by the few people involved in re-creating these fliers is a valuable commodity.
    David Collins
    The de Havilland Hornet Project

Quote Originally Posted by DazDaMan View Post
    So, 2019, remake of 633 Squadron?!
    How about a tale of skulduggery, forged paperwork, and rushed departures ahead of the authorities? Add a love interest and a war in the jungle and you could be on to a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolC View Post
    How about a tale of skulduggery, forged paperwork, and rushed departures ahead of the authorities? Add a love interest and a war in the jungle and you could be on to a winner!
    For those wondering what Errol has been smoking..... PZ474 has an interesting, if slightly illegal history.
    Graham Allan
    JP843 Propulsions/Systems Lead

www.typhoonlegacy.com

To save people chasing through the links at the start of this thread, handy summary at the bottom of this page.

Of course, you are required to add extra stuff if you are making a movie, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolC View Post
    To save people chasing through the links at the start of this thread, handy summary at the bottom of this page.

Of course, you are required to add extra stuff if you are making a movie, right?

A TV channel in the U.K.is showing tonight a dramatisation of the. Discovery of the tomb of Tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922 now apparently we find that Howard Carter was having an affair with the daughter of his patron Earl Carnarvon a point in history that has apparently been missed in all previous retellkng of this story!

Hi All,
    For those interested two latest WIP pictures posted on 'Avspecs Facebook':- https://en-gb.facebook.com/Avspecs/

Geoff.

Forget a remake of 633 Squadron - it looks as if it's a live action remake of Disneytoon's Planes

Thanks 1FB - they popped a couple of posts up since I looked early in the week.
    There are also some nice views in the video interview in the post before - https://vimeo.com/225830265
    Mentions estimated completion in ~12 months - edit: from interview date presumably!
    Last edited by ErrolC; 12th August 2017 at 09:42.

Hi All,
    ErrolC - Thanks for the video matey I saw that but I thought the initial picture/Video still (05:19 in the video)was about modelling......

Questions:- Is it simply because the 'USA' is easier to reach than the 'UK' the engines are overhauled there ? or because it all depends on who can do it quickly and having time ?

Was the B-25 used as a demonstration of forward firing gun placements or a mistake do you think ?

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 12th August 2017 at 09:43.

I think it is just that there are well-regarded V12 restorers in the US (eg California) - why ship it further? Hmm if the GBP drops enough? And they are most likely Packard Merlins anyway - KA114's certainly were. Are there any issues with RR vs Packard in FB.VI's?

B25 showed the concept quite well I thought! :-) Presumably the clip was available for cheap! Definitely a low-budget show, but doing a fine job IMO.

Hi All,
    ErrolC - Many thanks for answering my questions matey...

Geoff.

No problem, just my semi-informed rambling :-)
    Having now watched all of the interview, Warren calls out that the Spitfire's Merlin is a Packard, so PZ474's are home-grown.

Hi All,
    ErrolC - Yes that bit of info took me by surprise also!....

Geoff.

Brilliant to see PZ474 coming back together.

Back in 1987 or so, when Stuart Howe's 'Mosquito Survivors' came out, this was mooted by Stuart as possibly the next one to fly. A composite fuselage was well advanced we were told. Of course that never happened, and the next I heard of the aircraft was when a couple of guys turned up at the hanger with pictures of a Mosquito wing they had found at Chino. Much had been done, but it was a long, long way off being good enough for flight. So it was great to hear that Warren and his team had done a deal to acquire the remains, and work their magic on them.

Which is the really great thing about what they are doing - they aren't affecting the preserved aircraft in museums - the original aircraft remain for posterity, whilst Avspecs use those whose airframe has become seriously compromised, and build a living, breathing machine from the parts that remain. Here's to many more. I heard there was one more underway once 474 was complete. Lets hope for a good few more after that.

That's a nice take on it - I feel much the same about the current train of Spitfire rebuilds such as P9374 and N3200, or Hurricanes such as P2902 that contain comparatively low proportions of wreck-recovered material. They're not of all that much interest as heaps of wreckage corroding into dust in museums, and we're not really losing much original material by rebuilding them simply because there wasn't much left to begin with. Compare the loss of some lumpy corroded aluminium with the pleasure and interest gained by seeing an airworthy Spitfire I, Hurricane or Mosquito, and to me there's little contest. As Bruce said, the complete static examples in museums suffer not one jot.
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Other than the wing detached for display at Lambeth, is it true to say that TV959 was seriously compromised, it seemed pretty complete otherwise. Presumably the original fuselage was destroyed upon completion of the restoration -or was it?

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Totally agree Bruce and Tin , and it would be wonderful to see one flying in Europe eventually; preferably not just a visitor...

They're not of all that much interest as heaps of wreckage corroding into dust in museums, and we're not really losing much original material by rebuilding them simply because there wasn't much left to begin with. Compare the loss of some lumpy corroded aluminium with the pleasure and interest gained by seeing an airworthy Spitfire I, Hurricane or Mosquito, and to me there's little contest.
    Well I'd have to disagree there: an original 'heap of wreckage' is often more interesting/pertinent than a 'rebuild' which contains nothing but the spirit of the original. Let's not kid ourselves that "comparatively low proportions" survive in these replicas because we know that many contain zero per cent of the original.

I'm certainly not agin anyone building replicas - more power to them in fact - but I do take exception to our global aviation heritage being treated like it is the personal property of those who recover said 'heaps of wreckage' and theirs to do whatever with after they've pretended to 'rebuild' it.

So in MY opinion (please note that when responding), I very much would prefer to see the wreckage AND the replica. But that never seems to be an option does it?

Lets just be clear on the Mosquito's.

They use a high proportion of original parts that are rescued from the shattered wooden airframes. In the case of both completed airframes, the majority of the metal parts come from those aircraft - and there are a lot of them in a wooden aeroplane.

Jeepman, It is fair to say that TV959 was pretty complete, and that the airframe could have been repaired to static condition with relative ease. However, its recent past was not as a museum aircraft, having been de-accessioned from IWM some years ago. I understand the discarded pieces remain in New Zealand and have NOT been scrapped.

Bruce

Re the above, John Smiths Mosquito NZ2336, mentioned on here only recently, is arguably in the same condition as TV959 was before its reincarnation and is not a museum airframe yet any suggestion that airframe should be rebuilt to flying condition is quite rightly met with howls of protest.

I fail to see how the rebuild of TV959 can be justified when there are calls for John Smith's Mosquito to be remain untouched.

Mostly because, although TV959 was mostly complete, it hadn't been well maintained over the years. There were no engines with it, no radiators and so on. Many of its systems were missing too, though as I said, crucially the Mosquito specific metal parts were all present.

Ultimately, its horses for courses. If John Smith's aircraft were ever to come to the market, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it found its way to Avspecs. Money will continue to talk.

The original (wood) fuselage of TV959 was not compromised, once tests showed it could not be used it was placed in store, where it remains and is available for trade.

John Smith's aircraft is not comparable, it is a complete Mosquito -but of course could not be 'flown' as it is.
    Last edited by DaveM2; 14th August 2017 at 23:45.

What Dave and Bruce said - you can't compare TV959 with NZ2336! Completely different condition and situation.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Thread Information