Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster PA474 At Duxford For Major Work

What heresey, of course its the be all and end all of life, just like 42 is. I will never be persuaded to join and will content myself with the Just-Jane thread.

Goldilocks

I do not subscribe to Facebook, have heard of it but do not really understand what it does..... Do not feel much of an urgency to join. Am I missing something???

You don't need to sign up to Facebook to see the images. Just click this link....
    ... click 'not now' on the annoying pop-up and there you are. Navigate the site as normal.

Glad its not just me

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarine305 View Post
    You don't need to sign up to Facebook to see the images. Just click this link....
    ... click 'not now' on the annoying pop-up and there you are. Navigate the site as normal.
    Yes, mildly irritating, but easy setup for the organisation so they have more time to do actual work. I've got about a dozen FB links in my browser favourites, and check them out a couple of times a week. What is annoying is when an event only exists online as a FB Event, and important information is in the discussion of the event (which seem to only be visible to FB members). The main weakness is the poor search functionality - The Vintage Aviator for instance do some really informative FB posts, good luck finding them a couple of months later.
    Another bad practice that I've seen is only putting details of temporary closures etc on FB, while not mentioning this on the actual webpage.

Facebook is a very good source of Historic Aviation news - many restorers have their own pages, and keep them well updated. It is a much better source of information, overall than this forum now.

You don't need to go mad - you don't need to 'make' any friends if you don't want to; you don't need to comment on any postings. Set up an account, and be in control of what you wish to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Pusher View Post
    20+ photos just gone up on the ARCo Facebook page.

Brian
    Albeit arty farty ones...
    There are some people who really should think before typing...

The pictures ARCO are producing of the work are stunning, it crossed my mind they would make a superb coffe table book to raise funds.

I'm sure they have better things to do than take and post pictures for us. Some people are so ungrateful...

As for Facebook, if you can use a PC, and get yourself here, you can join Facebook, set the settings for what YOU want to see and enjoy the many posts by restoration companies from all over the world.
    It's a tool, nothing more. Try reading the ********** manual...

Agreed re the ARCO photos- they are superb, the photographer has got a brilliant eye for an interesting but 'different' take on things. Thoroughly enjoying their updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    There are some people who really should think before typing...

The pictures ARCO are producing of the work are stunning, it crossed my mind they would make a superb coffe table book to raise funds.

I'm sure they have better things to do than take and post pictures for us. Some people are so ungrateful...

As for Facebook, if you can use a PC, and get yourself here, you can join Facebook, set the settings for what YOU want to see and enjoy the many posts by restoration companies from all over the world.
    It's a tool, nothing more. Try reading the ********** manual...
    Yes there are a number of armchair warriors out there with a grand sense of entitlement and who "know" how to run museums and organisations and airshows, yet don't seem to get out and actually contribute of their time.....

Personally I think the ARCO photographs are great and thank you to them for making the time to share. I doubt very much the provision of a photographer and producing such frequent comms were part of the contract.
    Last edited by Agent K; 2nd December 2016 at 10:19.

ARCO are a business, we need to be grateful they keep the public informed. They are under no obligation to do so.
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by Planemike View Post
    I do not subscribe to Facebook, have heard of it but do not really understand what it does..... Do not feel much of an urgency to join. Am I missing something???
    Its wonderful for forums and you get invites to all kinds of events. Oddly enough there are types who refuse to use or even have a look at this forum! Its their loss.
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    ...FACEBOOK, as its not the be all and end all of life.
    Are you sure?

How can your life be complete, without telling the world what you're doing in the minutest detail!

Me personally, I don't lead an interestingly enough life, to warrant wasting my time...
    Last edited by Tony C; 2nd December 2016 at 14:29.
    Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

As said above, you don't have to - it isn't compulsory.

I look a lot, and comment very little. I make postings about my own life even less than that.

Horses for courses..

Quote Originally Posted by SADSACK View Post
    Its wonderful for forums and you get invites to all kinds of events. Oddly enough there are types who refuse to use or even have a look at this forum! Its their loss.
    Guess I am one of them.............. As I said, I do not really understand how it works. I use e-mail and a few forums such as this one and that stretches my meagre IT capabilities....!!

For those fearful of Facebook...

Go to FB, join, and go to the settings page and ensure that the settings refelect what YOU want to see.
    When you come across a link to Facebook, go to the page, enjoy the pictures and information, and click LIKE.
    From then on you will only see posts from those people or companies.

Want to say something? Type and hit return
    Have a picture to post? Drag it onto the text box, hit return...
    It's that simple...

You don't need to make friends with anyone, or post pics of your dinner or this mornings socks...

It's very simple to use as an information feed tool. That's all it is, a tool...
    If you can work out how to join this forum, you can join and set up FB.

Just what exactly are you trying to sell Nige ?

All kidding aside, thanks to those who take time to post pictures and info for us to enjoy, by whatever means.

Andy

Just what exactly are you trying to sell Nige ?
    Lol... I'm on a retainer with FB...

I think it's a shame that some people are missing out on some of the gems that get posted on FB, when with a bit of effort they can be easily accessed...

I've been reluctant to comment about FB until now, as I feel that some forum members may have had bad experiences relating to the site. But I endorse the above comments in favour of it. I post little there (other than likes or comments about contributions) but enjoy access to an incredible variety of up to date and historical photos and videos of what's happening all over the world, especially in Australia, NZ, the USA, and Europe. This morning over breakfast I watched superb footage of five P-38s in formation. Give it a go, join groups and follow contributions from some very talented individuals (including you, Darren Harbar!)

Quote Originally Posted by ErrolC View Post
    Yes, mildly irritating, but easy setup for the organisation so they have more time to do actual work. I've got about a dozen FB links in my browser favourites, and check them out a couple of times a week. What is annoying is when an event only exists online as a FB Event, and important information is in the discussion of the event (which seem to only be visible to FB members). The main weakness is the poor search functionality - The Vintage Aviator for instance do some really informative FB posts, good luck finding them a couple of months later.
    Another bad practice that I've seen is only putting details of temporary closures etc on FB, while not mentioning this on the actual webpage.
    Errol, if you use the FB app instead of the webpage you can go straight to The Vintage Aviator page and view all their posts. You do need to join of course to be able to do this, but it makes life so much easier.

PLEASE NOW CAN WE GET BACK ONTO PA474 Any news from DX ? this aeroplane is a very important player in the UK historic scene and I do find it strange that the DX usual suspects have not been able to ply their trade of updates and images here, as has been said before it is a PA474 thread worthy item.

Just Jane has her own thread, maybe its me... not a rhetorical question !

The usual suspects can only see the aircraft like every one else. From the viewing gallery.

Want up to date photos and progress reports, then keep checking the excellent ARCo Facebook page.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

This FB fear reminds my of some of the oldtimers fear of the internet in the mid-90's. Why use the internet if we can still communicate in Morse code? LOL
    Magister Aviation
    www.fougamagister.be

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Pusher View Post
    The usual suspects can only see the aircraft like every one else. From the viewing gallery.

Want up to date photos and progress reports, then keep checking the excellent ARCo Facebook page.

Brian
    Yep great images thank you
    https://www.facebook.com/arco/

Quote Originally Posted by Duxman View Post
    That would be a surprise ? - Below as seen at Cranfield in 1963 from acquired slides in my collection.
    Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/
    Urrmmm .... Why??????

Best shots i have seen form the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, I thought phots not allowed from there? shame no Lancaster !

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    Yep great images thank you
    https://www.facebook.com/arco/
    Yup, nice photos in that link and how many times do you need to be spoon fed the correct link that has already been posted in this thread.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

And posted again.

Bookmark it.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

As to the Haynes manual being used I doubt it as PA 474 like all the rest RAF past and present aircraft work to the MAJOR SERVICING Schedule Volume 6 in my day in the RAF and Not a book that looks like a car
    maintenance Manual

Victor Tanker Crew Chief

The Aircraft Restoration Co Duxford Airfield Instagram

Nice images of all the aeroplanes etc, hopefully more on PA474 shortly

Thread Information