Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster PA474 At Duxford For Major Work

http://www.aerialcombat.co.uk/2016/1...lancaster.html

Liking the sound of the Aussie scheme!

So, two completely different aircraft being represented at once? That's new- we've had different squadron codes for the same aircraft before, but never two airframes. Seems a bit weird to me, especially when the second set of codes is there to honour the OCBBMF's grandfather. (Deserved I'm sure, but, smacking a tad of friends in high places..?)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    Does this come under the heading of conspiracy theories ?
    It's not a conspiracy theory if it's true. I heard it's getting 4 Wright 3350's for Reno next year
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman View Post
    Are there any Gnat wings lying about? They are only slightly larger than the Midge wing.........
    How about a Moth wing?.. or maybe a Dragon..
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Had a look in yesterday. With the lights off, it's pitch black inside and all you can make out is a dark shape in the shadows. No details. If you want to see it, go on a weekday when the lights are on.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Suggestion to ARco. Here is a nice little money earned for you.
    So the hangar lights are out at weekends, how about installing a coin operated switch to put the lights on for 5 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird Mike
    So, two completely different aircraft being represented at once?
    Surprised it isn't done more often - there are two sides to every aircraft - two different sets of markings might please the snappers - AB•C on one pass, D•EF on the next!
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

CADman, I believe a hand cranked generator is being put in for this very reason...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Surprised it isn't done more often - there are two sides to every aircraft - two different sets of markings might please the snappers - AB•C on one pass, D•EF on the next!
    It's been done before - by the Red Arrows !!!!

Way back in the late 70's, my ex-wifes WI group had a talk in the village hall by a young pilot from the Red Arrows from nearby RAF Kemble - as was.

It was well attended by all the husbands etc

The Reds had just re-equipped with BAe Hawks - and he mentioned that, when deciding on a new colour scheme, they painted one of the new arrivals in two different schemes - port and starboard.

It was flown past the Air Commode - first left to right, then right to left - before he decided which scheme to go with!

The young pilot also mentioned that they had trouble producing smoke on the Hawk - because its Adour ran cooler than the Orpheous on the Gnat T.1 - so they had to experiment with the formula for the diesel until they got it right.

Ken
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

Um, 2017 summer finished and then a year flying for a 1943 anniversary - how about removing the upper turret and a little bit of adjustment to the bomb bay would be nice. An example would be ED932 AJ-G.

Heard the tail was getting to the end of its 'spar' life. They have G sensors all over. They one thing they wished they had was a spare tailplane.

Look forward to seeing the new scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Pusher View Post
    Had a look in yesterday...it's pitch black inside... If you want to see it, go on a weekday when the lights are on.
    We nipped in to Duxford on Sunday afternoon and had a look at the Lanc - luckily the lights were on because there was a family looking around and taking pictures inside the aircraft. Later on we had a chat with an ARC volunteer who was arranging the sit-in-a-spitfire event with PV202 in hangar 4 (?). According to him we weren't supposed to have gone and had a look in the Lanc viewing gallery as it's not open to the general public. Not sure what to make of that! Certainly the viewing gallery isn't publicised, except for the small sign shown above which you have to walk through the gates and across the gravel car park to read.

PA474 didn't look much different to the picture further up the thread, except there were some areas on the fuselage, tail and wings marked out with tape. We will continue to nip back and see how it's getting on until we hear otherwise - hopefully ARC just hadn't briefed its volunteers about what access the public had to the gallery.
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

the only definite thing is, she is in good hands and will look amazing when done.
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by SADSACK View Post
    the only definite thing is, she is in good hands and will look amazing when done.
    Absolutely right :-)
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

They do have a replacement tailplane from FM212 IIRC, the tailplanes will be swapped.

I think the new paint job will be announced by BBMF and not via a social media blog
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

It was announced at the BBMFs end of season dinner I think

Really, well that is good but surprised it had not been mentioned officially, mind you it is official at their dinner I guess you had to be there.
    PS
    nearly 12k hits on this thread, very popular aeroplane is PA474
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    Really, well that is good but surprised it had not been mentioned officially, mind you it is official at their dinner I guess you had to be there.
    PS
    nearly 12k hits on this thread, very popular aeroplane is PA474
    See post #61...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonR

PA474 didn't look much different to the picture further up the thread, except there were some areas on the fuselage, tail and wings marked out with tape.
    Last Wednesday -

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Does anyone know what the tape is for?
    Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Kavangh View Post
    A BBMF person mentioned that, although the major service is being done a Duxford, the new paint job is being applied elsewhere.
    Personally I'd like to see her painted as a Lancaster in Argentine Air Force service, just to see Social Media explode.
    Yes David, the plan was to paint her elsewhere, Arco are only doing the overhaul work, Coventry maybe? I thinke she was once painted at Luton
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Quote Originally Posted by inkworm View Post
    Does anyone know what the tape is for?
    Marking areas of damage/corrosion/loose rivets?
    The rectangle of tape on the bomb door looks like its marking an area of damage caused by a ground based object passing when the doors were open.

[QUOTE=Bluebird Mike;2350924]So, two completely different aircraft being represented at once? That's new

Not really, The Ex Hawkins and Powers A-26 Invader was a half and half. Port side was military, starboard was civilian.
    A&P, IA, Warbird maint and restorations

Jack, You have Debauched my sloth !!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/shoot.the.guns.of.history

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gunsch View Post
    Not really, The Ex Hawkins and Powers A-26 Invader was a half and half. Port side was military, starboard was civilian.
    ...new for the BBMF.

Personally I'd like to see her painted as a Lancaster in Argentine Air Force service, just to see Social Media explode.
    Well, it does have a mid upper turret from an Argentine Lanc. B-038, formerly PA369.

It'd be nice to see the aircraft repainted as NE181 'The Captain's Fancy' of 75 Sqn.
    My websites; Warbirds Walkaround: http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds Mr Watson's Flying Machines: http://rockingwings.tripod.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird Mike View Post
    ...new for the BBMF.
    Exactly, Just Jane has always represented 2 aircraft.
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by CeBro View Post
    They do have a replacement tailplane from FM212 IIRC, the tailplanes will be swapped.
    Sadly that deal seems to have fallen through.. Not to sure what their plan is at this point.
    Last edited by Rhino93; 25th October 2016 at 19:24.

Ahh that is news. Strange as in Aeroplane Monthly there was this pic of a fully reconditioned set of tailplanes. What would have caused that to fall through.

I am guessing that if true and its fallen through that PA474 may be at DX a fair bit longer unless a loan one may be swapped for the time being from the Lincolnshire area if its possible in the time frame?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

I hadn't heard that the deal with tailplane form FM212 had fallen through. But in any case I was under the impression that the current major service at Duxford didn't include the replacement of the tailplane. This was to have been done in 18 months time as there was that much work to be done on the parts from Canada.

Thread Information