Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster PA474 At Duxford For Major Work

Lancaster PA474 At Duxford For Major Work

As the BBMF Lancaster PA474 is now snugly inside her new home for what looks to be at least 9 months I thought it maybe a good idea she has her own thread and updates could be posted here and not get mixed in the normal DX one.

I know Alan is fuming but I think I did post I would be surprised that DX would want hundreds if not thousands descending for the arrival on Monday 10th, staffing etc and the possibility of MET interfering and causing knock ons.

May I be the first to wish ARCO a happy 1st Lancaster (I think)

A Happy TA

Will continue to post pictures, if I get any, and other info about the Lancaster in the Duxford Diary thread.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    Google+

Cheers Brian

It's ok, I've calmed down a bit now
    Good idea to have a seperate thread.

Time estimates for the work to be undertaken, seems to vary between six
    and nine months.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

It will be 9 months, PA474 is having a baby ! conspiracy theory No1

Whilst I understand the engineers at ARco have enough on their plate but it would be nice to have a photo diary of the PA474 as it is reduced to spare parts and rebuilt.
    Its a big ask but could a web cam or time lapse camera be installed in the hangar to record progress.
    What ever happens ARco and the team have a lot of work to do so they are probably best left in peace to get on with it.
    Can we start a sweepstake as to what colour scheme PA474 will be finished in lol
    Paul

When it had its major service at Coventry, there was a DVD produced. It was sold through the LLA.
    mmitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux View Post
    It will be 9 months, PA474 is having a baby
    Wow!

A Manchester would be quite something.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by mmitch View Post
    When it had its major service at Coventry, there was a DVD produced. It was sold through the LLA.
    mmitch.
    Yes, 'Lancaster At Coventry'- a very good job for what was (I think?) an amateur production. Absolutely essential viewing for any Lanc enthusiast.

Looking forward to following the progress on here this time around- would be better if it was all in this one thread though?

Did they build a viewing window in the new hangar as originally planned? Will be going to DX over the winter(first time in about 8 years) and would like to see the work in progress.

John Romain, managing director of the Aircraft Restoration Company said “Work on this aircraft and the following projects can be viewed by visitors to IWM Duxford from a spectators' gallery which forms part of the new hangar."
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/airc...ail/story.html
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Thanks, will look forward to that. Surprised not too see any photos of the hangar on the diary yet?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CADman View Post
    Can we start a sweepstake as to what colour scheme PA474 will be finished in lol
    Paul
    I'll have said this previously, but I'd love to see the Hendon Lanc S-Sugar paint scheme take to the air. Ok so the real airframe still survives and it would probably be fairer to represent one that doesn't, but, it would look great in the air and would be a marvellous aircraft to be representing during the RAF's centenary.

I guess though they'll also have to choose a scheme that they can make into a cutesy name for the aircraft which people will insist on using at every opportunity for years to come, and 'Herman' probably won't cut it!
    Last edited by Bluebird Mike; 7th October 2016 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Wow!

A Manchester would be quite something.

Moggy
    Giving birth to your own father - now that's a novelty!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Would love to see her in a 'Tiger Force' scheme for a few seasons.

Me too. Though i'd like to see the prototype or the Tirpitz 617 camo too. Make a nice change from the norm
    Last edited by Peter; 8th October 2016 at 00:58.

Quote Originally Posted by CADman View Post
    Its a big ask but could a web cam or time lapse camera be installed in the hangar to record progress.
    Not sure if being filmed continuously for months on webcam would be conducive to a good stress free working environment for the engineers.
    Last edited by Moggy C; 8th October 2016 at 08:22.
    Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

1950's Coastal Command would work just fine for me!

How about a Soviet scheme........

Ken (with tongue firmly in cheek)
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

Sorry to put an end to all the speculation, but with authenticity an imperative, it is being returned to its silver scheme of the Cranfield trials, with a Folland Midge wing mounted on the fuselage, which has required a high clearance in the new hangar. Strictly confidential, tell nobody. ..Name:  lanc3.jpg
Views: 5677
Size:  19.6 KB

That would be a surprise ? - Below as seen at Cranfield in 1963 from acquired slides in my collection.

PA474 at Cranfield in 1963 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

PA474 at Cranfield in 1963 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/
    Last edited by Peter; 8th October 2016 at 00:58.

Does this come under the heading of conspiracy theories ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Duxman, that's clearly a well photo-shopped Airfix model you've used as you have applied the serial number transfer (or 'decal' in modern lingo) in the wrong place. I know this from reading extensive detailed accounts and studying the authentic illustations in both "The Victor" and "Warlord" research archive publications. You might want to pinch a different shade of nail varnish for those prop spinners too...

Fantastic Cranfield photos!

I think you've lost your mind if you seriously believe the new scheme/configuration is the Cranfield-era with Midge wing!!!

I just looked at pics of the Stephenson Hangar in DX Diary, the door's way too low for that!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ View Post
    I think you've lost your mind if you seriously believe the new scheme/configuration is the Cranfield-era with Midge wing!!!

I just looked at pics of the Stephenson Hangar in DX Diary, the door's way too low for that!
    They're going to hinge it to one side to clear the doors then finish fitting it once it is outside.

I have it on good authority that they've already ordered bucket loads of Humbrol No.11...

Who will be first to post a photo of her sitting in the new hangar?
    Did not realise it was a full paint job as well, a nice war weary one would be good

A BBMF person mentioned that, although the major service is being done a Duxford, the new paint job is being applied elsewhere.
    Personally I'd like to see her painted as a Lancaster in Argentine Air Force service, just to see Social Media explode.

Are there any Gnat wings lying about? They are only slightly larger than the Midge wing.........

Thread Information