Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mighty Eighth

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    Yes, but that was nearly 30 years ago.
    ...Time for a re-make? With Hawker Hurricanes this time...albeit with incorrect spinners as someone recently pointed out.

Yes, Moggy, the 2AD and its B-24s miss out as usual.
    I've been told that scripting for the TV series has seen a turnover of different writers, with some unable to grasp the language style and idioms of the period or the stress of missions; Band of Brothers is a hard act to follow.
    The budget for Masters of the Air was originally given as $500m. I imagine it's gone up a fair bit since. Norfolk County Council will need a few quid too – to widen the roads around Billingford and Thorpe Abbotts once the series airs.

Seems as though Lincolnshire is hoping for a greater involvement in Master of the Air - apologies in advance for the adverts / potential access issues with the link!

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/st...mqYBgz5vrL7.99
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    Please consider supporting Project Panini (Mod)

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    How nice it would have been, just once, to see a B24 Unit featured.

Moggy
    You would have thought that they might have picked up on Jimmy Stewart's command of a B-24 group for a storyline?
    Martin

Tibenham's runways are virtually intact, rare for an 8th base that isn't still in military use, though there is scarcely an original building left.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by D1566 View Post
    You would have thought that they might have picked up on Jimmy Stewart's command of a B-24 group for a storyline?
    Stewart wasn't one to trumpet his service exploits, though years ago I stumbled across a very moving article by him in a faith magazine discussing his fears of facing combat (sadly, I've been unable to find a copy)and many of the details of his service have only recently come to light.

I really don't think there is a anti-Liberator conspiracy out there, rather the scarcity of flying...or even static...examples and the resulting public unfamiliarity with them is to blame.
    To put it another way, if the BBC were to do a series on Bomber Command, would you expect them to use Lancasters or a Halifax or Stirling?

Would Cosford or the AAM be willing to dis-inter their B-24s for ground shots?

Besides, if they did make a Liberator film it would have to be largely CGI, and I can imagine the howls here if that were to happen!
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

J Boyle!

Ah! The refreshing voice of common sense! Agree entirely! I will say though, that having watched Unbroken recently, I was quite impressed with the CGI B-24s in that movie.

Best regards;
    Steve

Good CGI is pretty convincing.

What we notice most is bad CGI. Particularly physically impossible flight models.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    You want good CGI aerial scenes?

Get the Japanese to do it:

Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RAFRochford View Post
    I will say though, that having watched Unbroken recently, I was quite impressed with the CGI B-24s in that movie.

Best regards;
    Steve
    As was I, it was well done.
    But let's be honest, if someone is going to produce a series at a cost of $500 million and it turns out to be largely CGI, we'd be disappointed.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Anybody know the rough breakdown of B-17 / B-24 sorties (I mean missions, of course!) from Britain?
    WA$.

See bbc Look East for a report
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    See bbc Look East for a report
    Looks promising, sounds like they're still interested as the idea for producing the film has been around for quite a while now. Not only will it create interest for the 100th at Thorpe Abbots, but the possible use of other disused airfields in the UK...
    http://reelbrief.com/hbos-masters-of...ng-in-england/
    I'm just hoping that they can get Lavenham airfield up and running again for the production.
    If the production is going to be as good as Band Of Brothers & The Pacific, this will be a a huge boost for local museums in the east of England.
    Last edited by Lightningspirit; 23rd February 2017 at 00:32.

That link above which rattles on about Manston is from 2015.

Moggy

This link however is a bit more current

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/fea...ing-close.html

Moggy

I'm hesitant to visit that link - WarHistoryOnline and "current" don't normally go together!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Most detailed report I have seen

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/tour...folk_1_4902289

The writer of the series has also denied that the title of the production is The Mighty Eighth

Perhaps with the success of SS:GB we may see 'Bomber' produced as a big production series?
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Perhaps, Len Deighton has an astonishingly high book-to-film production ratio.

I didn't know until very recently that Len Deighton had actually served on Lancasters; I presume it was wartime service as that would explain an awful lot about how good his book 'Bomber' is.

I owe most of my adult interest in historic aviation to Len Deighton; I generally don't read fiction but after I picked-up somebody's copy of 'Bomber' on holiday (and couldn't put it down) I was hooked and simply had to find out how much truth there was in that work of fiction. It turns out, quite a lot!

Edit: Len Deighton must have been too young to see wartime service on Lancasters.
    Last edited by Creaking Door; 3rd March 2017 at 09:46.
    WA$.

The BBC Radio production of Bomber is one of the most powerful things I have ever listened to.

When originally broadcast it was split over an entire day, so the airtest section was broadcast in the afternoon, the take-off early evening.. etc.

Come to think about it, wasn't yesterday the actual anniversary of Creaking Door's momentous flight?

Moggy

If I remember correctly the actual bombing raid takes place in the early hours of the 31st June. I've always liked that literary device; it avoids absolutely any chance of fiction trespassing on the lives of real casualties of Bomber Command's war.
    WA$.

Ah.. I remembered it as 30 February, but now you mention it you could well be right.

Moggy

I think Len Deighton did his NS not long after the war as a photog attached the equivalent of P&SS so certainly met many of 'the right types' to populate his book with.
    Królewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Ah.. I remembered it as 30 February, but now you mention it you could well be right.

Moggy
    Ha .. I thought it was the eleventy-first of Septober.

Thread Information