Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mighty Eighth

The Mighty Eighth

You may have wondered what has happened to this HBO mini-series which was announced years ago. It has now been made . If you go to 'You Tube' and look for ' The Mighty Eighth Exclusive Teaser Footage' you will find some trailers. Unfortunately they have done the flying sequences using CGI resulting in some rather unrealistic shots,to put it mildly!

The footage on Youtube is not from the forthcoming Spielberg production. Its from a much lower budgeted project that was made a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester1979 View Post
    The footage on Youtube is not from the forthcoming Spielberg production. Its from a much lower budgeted project that was made a year or so ago.
    That makes sense. If they were to make the HBO Spielberg production as planned you would expect filming with real B-17s in England e.g. Sally B etc. The website from which I got this info claimed the You Tube footage was from the HBO production but clearly that info is wrong. Best Wishes, Colin

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Yeah, still waiting to see anything on this one.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Have a contact in the know and there is still no headway on this project just yet. Being HBO I can imagine that they are either waiting to Game of Thrones ends to then start another large budget series. Or they are still trying to figure out the story. This series has been rumoured for a very long time. So I am going to go with the finance aspect of it.

Does anyone remember a make believe series, iirc was also Spielberg, which had one episode that featured the crew of a B17.
    A B17 is damaged in a raid and the ball turret gunner is trapped in his turret. The gear is also shot away. Inevitably the gunner
    will die when the B17 crash lands at its airfield.
    I won't tell you what happens (don't spoil the ending if you know) but if anyone remembers this series do they know what it was called?

The series was called Amazing Stories and that episode was titled The Mission.

And starred an impossibly young Kevin Costner....which will date it.
    I 've read on WIX and Scott Thompson's Aerovintage site (which tracks B-17 and B-25 news) that the B-17 set is still around.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbarrell View Post
    The series was called Amazing Stories and that episode was titled The Mission.
    Thanks, I hadn't come across that before. I've found a copy, it's series one episode five.

I'm not so sure about the ending, it's a bit daft.
    Last edited by Robbo; 18th September 2016 at 17:42.

Well, it is called "Amazing Stories", not "true to life stories of daring do".
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

On the subject of B-17s, a mate of mine met Sean Astin a few weeks back at a convention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa79950a7f666877082df3a24afc84b2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	248280

Sadly I wasn't there, but she did manage to tell him that one of my favourite films from my youth was Memphis Belle! He then proceeded to talk at length about the filming - everyone else was hoping he would talk about The Goonies or Lord of the Rings, but he ended up talking about warbirds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sean Astin.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	248281
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    [The Mission] starred an impossibly young Kevin Costner...
    ... as well as the future "Jack Bauer" himself, Kiefer Sutherland.
    Last edited by Jack Deth; 18th September 2016 at 21:25.

Amazing Stories - "The Mission"

For your delight:
    https://vimeo.com/56670088
    Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings........

At an event at Duxford today were Don Miller who's book "Masters of the Air" which is being turned into the HBO mini series about the 8th Air Force and directed by Steven Spielberg. Also there were John Orloff who wrote the screenplay of Band of Brothers and will do the same for Masters of the Air, and Kirk Saduski, who was chief excutive for BoB and will be producing Masters of the Air. They said that production for Masters of the Air will start 2018/19. Some filming may take place in UK.

Were they part of the launch event for the 'Friendly Invasion' tourism initiative?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-en...b06f5728f82bb2
    Find out what's happening at …. newarkairmuseum.org
    Please consider supporting Project Panini (Mod)

They were indeed.

Thanks for that feedback - now I'm even more disappointed that I was unable to take up my invitation to attend!

Don't you think it's amazing all those Americans, hundreds if not thousands of aircraft, trucks and equipment.
    Hundreds of Airfields. All built within a few months. Massed armadas flying over England.
    If I didn't know it actually happened I wouldn't believe it.

I wonder what it feels like to see 1000 Bombers cruising overhead?

Quote Originally Posted by hampden98 View Post
    Don't you think it's amazing all those Americans, hundreds if not thousands of aircraft, trucks and equipment.
    Hundreds of Airfields. All built within a few months. Massed armadas flying over England.
    If I didn't know it actually happened I wouldn't believe it.
    Quite. On my visits to East Anglia, I'm always amazed at the number and proximity of wartime facilities.
    Here in the U.S., hundreds of training bases were built seemingly overnight. One satellite airfield (no facilities, just runways) with multiple paved runways, is just a few miles away.

I always joke that if we had a war now, by the time planning permissions and environmental studies were completed for the factories and bases, the war would be over.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 20th February 2017 at 21:04.

I think it's amazing, not least that I grew up with stories from my late father of him being evacuated to Nottinghamshire; counting aircraft forming up overhead for the first 1000 bomber raid (giving up at 900+); and getting candy from the American personnel at RAF Balderton etc. - for me that started a lifelong interest in aviation!

The piece on the local news yesterday revealed a little more about the projected movie. I must admit to being a bit peed off that yet again it's the 100th BG that will be centre stage. A triumph of marketing for whoever coined the phrase 'Bloody Hundreth'

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

If you're going to be "peed off" about something, might I also suggest a small bit of ire at BBC or ITV at not producing a UK counterpart?

They seem to have plenty of money to make remakes of ancient costume dramas, but do we really need another remark of Pride and Prejudice, Poldark, Jane Eyre and stories of the upper class and their servants?

Or a metric ass-ton of reality TV shows about bothersome twunts from Essex?
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

As for focusing on the 100th BG, you'd have to blame Don Miller – it's central to his book.
    He's been running UK tours for American enthusiasts for the past couple of summers, costing around $7,000 a head. Presumably he's since formed a link with the 'Visit East Anglia' organisation, hence yesterday's bash at Duxford.

Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    If you're going to be "peed off" about something, might I also suggest a small bit of ire at BBC or ITV at not producing a UK counterpart?
    Consider lots of ire launched in that direction, though less so at ITV (or rather Thames) as it was they who delivered Piece of Cake.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Here's another link to the Visit East of England website & the "Friendly Invasion" initiative http://www.visiteastofengland.com/fr...versalSearch=1

Ref that link: the US Army Engineer Battalions built some 15 bomber airfields, most of them in Essex – which means the overwhelming majority were laid by Irishmen.
    So here's raising a glass of the hard stuff to them for their efforts, and for staying on to build our motorways.
    I'll also toast my late mother, from Co Armagh, who was a volunteer worker for the American Red Cross, serving personnel from 8AF FC HQ in Watford during the war. 🍷🍷🍷

How nice it would have been, just once, to see a B24 Unit featured.

Moggy

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy C View Post
    Consider lots of ire launched in that direction, though less so at ITV (or rather Thames) as it was they who delivered Piece of Cake.
    Moggy
    Yes, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

I've always been interested in the amazing effort that was the airfield building program. What an achievement! The small details fascinate me just as much. I used to forage around Earls Colne an awful lot when I was with the Rebel Air Museum. One fact I had pointed out to me, was that the hardcore used to build the runways, taxiways and the many miles of roads had come from the bomb sites of London. Next time I had a walk round the airfield, I had a close look at a lot of the hardcore clearly visible at the edge of the taxiways, and lo and behold, there were bricks, tiles, bottle fragments, remains of glass light shades and plenty of other remnants of household items.
    I wonder if those that had lost loved ones and homes had any idea that their houses had been used to take the fight back to the enemy?

As for "The Mighty Eighth"? I can't wait, but I hope that wait is worth the wait!

Best regards;
    Steve

Thread Information