Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Aircraft 101: Radars, stealth, ECM and more!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,146

    Aircraft 101: Radars, stealth, ECM and more!

    I did not know which thread to put this one in, so I decided I might as well start a new one...


    Lots of "basic" stuff on radars, ECM, stealth, and even one on "fundamental principles of airplane flight":

    https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...wordpress.com/

    I am no expert on any of these fields, but with my limited understanding it looks quite accurate to me, and also quite well described.

    What do the experts say? Is this a good source for basic info for the lay person?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    816
    I found that website recently too. Article go from the most basic to very advance but all information are explained in an easy to understand way, and he has a reference list as well. Needless to say it is the best source of unbiased information that i have seen to date.It such a shame that this website isn't nearly as popular as these BS blog from Picard and the like.
    Last edited by moon_light; 12th August 2016 at 14:18.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
    I found that website recently too. Article go from the most basic to very advance but all information are explained in an easy to understand way, and he has a reference list as well. Needless to say it is the best source of unbiased information that i have seen to date.It such a shame that this website isn't nearly as popular as these BS blog from Picard and the like.
    and you will have your answer on polarization there.

    https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...ntals-part-ii/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthflanker View Post
    and you will have your answer on polarization there.

    https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...ntals-part-ii/
    Wow, that some great memory you got

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
    It such a shame that this website isn't nearly as popular as these BS blog from Picard and the like.
    There are a few reasons for that
    1- This website is new, Picard blog, APA has been created for several years already, given enough time they will be equally popular
    2-While this website give a lot of knowledge, it doesn't have any "this vs that" sort of comparison, you know that what internet fan boy interested in. Even if the comparison is very dumb.
    3- These posts are too long because they need to covered such a big topic. Most people are very lazy to read, they like something simple and being spoon feed to them

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    TBH the traffic actually not that bad
    Last edited by garryA; 5th July 2017 at 06:06.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,362
    Nice website thanks.

    Reading the article about ESM confirms the impression I've had for many years that air combat looks more & more like submarines combat.

    Nic
    Last edited by Nicolas10; 15th August 2016 at 10:00.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    So i just tweak the display of the website abit , changed some pictures to gif so that it look better , but iam abit worried that it may take too long to load , so can someone try and tell me if the front pages load speed is acceptable ? https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by garryA View Post
    So i just tweak the display of the website abit , changed some pictures to gif so that it look better , but iam abit worried that it may take too long to load , so can someone try and tell me if the front pages load speed is acceptable ? https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...wordpress.com/
    Look good to me

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,146
    Quote Originally Posted by mig-31bm View Post
    Look good to me
    It doesn't "good" to me, it looks great!

    Thanks GarryA for putting this together, well done!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by garryA View Post
    So i just tweak the display of the website abit , changed some pictures to gif so that it look better , but iam abit worried that it may take too long to load , so can someone try and tell me if the front pages load speed is acceptable ? https://basicsaboutaerodynamicsandav...wordpress.com/
    Like loke said, it looks great, the gif load a little bit slow at first, but all web browser have cache so it wouldn't be a problem in my opinion. But if you still concerned about the load speed then you can convert them to gifv instead of gif, reduce files size dramatically.Alternatively, you can convert them to BPG

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,465
    Great site GarryA! Just expand a little further the one about areodinamics, please.
    Just to explain things about High AoA, supermaneovreaubility, post stall maneuvering and so on.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
    It doesn't "good" to me, it looks great!

    Thanks GarryA for putting this together, well done!!!
    Thanks for your kind words i will try to keep it up
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
    Like loke said, it looks great, the gif load a little bit slow at first, but all web browser have cache so it wouldn't be a problem in my opinion. But if you still concerned about the load speed then you can convert them to gifv instead of gif, reduce files size dramatically.Alternatively, you can convert them to BPG
    So i followed your suggestion and was able to convert GIF to BPG using this https://www.reaconverter.com/convert/gif_to_bpg.html software , the files size reduced significantly from 19 MB to just over 500 KB, too bad though Wordpress doesnt recognize .BPG files type and neither is most software in my laptop, I already tried to convert GiF to GiFv but Wordpress doesnt allow me to upload video. Anyways i optimized the GIF abit , reduce their colour and resolution a tiny bit so now the front page is only half the size ( 10.1 MB now as opposed to 19.5 MB before so hopefully the loading time would be more bearable ( unless you are from Australia , in which case the loading time would be enomous for some weird reason that i havent been able to figure out why )
    Last edited by garryA; 22nd August 2016 at 04:07.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellogo View Post
    Great site GarryA! Just expand a little further the one about areodinamics, please.
    Just to explain things about High AoA, supermaneovreaubility, post stall maneuvering and so on.
    Actually, the post about aircraft flight was my first blog post ,but it is very short compared to others subject because it is still unfinished , i will finish it in the future but for the moment i need to do more research about it since the field is wide and rather complex.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by garryA View Post
    So i followed your suggestion and was able to convert GIF to BPG using this https://www.reaconverter.com/convert/gif_to_bpg.html software , the files size reduced significantly from 19 MB to just over 500 KB, too bad though Wordpress doesnt recognize .BPG files type and neither is most software in my laptop, I already tried to convert GiF to GiFv but Wordpress doesnt allow me to upload video. Anyways i optimized the GIF abit , reduce their colour and resolution a tiny bit so now the front page is only half the size ( 10.1 MB now as opposed to 19.5 MB before so hopefully the loading time would be more bearable ( unless you are from Australia , in which case the loading time would be enomous for some weird reason that i havent been able to figure out why )
    According to https://www.dotcom-tools.com/website-speed-test.aspx , people that are not from China will load the blog in seconds

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    New post is up if you guys still interested haha
    Electro optic Part I
    Last edited by garryA; 5th July 2017 at 05:08. Reason: wrong link, sorry

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    Posted wrong link, my bad

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    394
    Nice work.

    Im curious tho why don't you post range equation for Infra red sensor ?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    816
    New post is up
    It has been such a long time since last article, I thought you stopped writing.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthflanker
    Nice work.

    Im curious tho why don't you post range equation for Infra red sensor ?
    I must have missed that, i guess. I will add later, thank you for constructive criticism

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_light
    It has been such a long time since last article, I thought you stopped writing.
    There was several side projects that eat up a significant amount of my time so i didn't have time to finish it, i actually started this post a while ago.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    394
    you're welcome.

    It always be good to include means to allow readers to use data or diagram you provided to make their own calculations.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,151
    New post is up if you guys still interested haha
    Electro optic Part I
    Thank you GarryA for sharing. Just an anecdot to enlighten you. I used these type of data, knowing the sensor invovled when i wrote about DDM NG. MBDA asked me to remove the part about what we call here colour of temperature (too much "reverse engineering" ntheir opinion)... in exchange, they agreed officially that DDM-NG isn't only an ignition detector.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,873
    Thank you garrya, your articles are treasure of information

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

- Part of the    Network -

KEY AERO AVIATION NEWS

MAGAZINES

AVIATION FORUM

SHOP

 

WEBSITES