Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk film - Merged For General Updates And Chat

Beermat is quite correct - lend lease was not all it was cracked up to be in terms of selfless generosity on the part of the US. Britain had also to sell off a lot of investments in the US to help pay for this incredible generosity. That didn't help UK post-war economic recovery much at all with British businesses being deprived of a lot of investment derived income.

It's actually going to be a re-edit of Pearl Harbour. You know the story where a yank in the RAF crashes his P.40 in France and he goes missing for a time. It turns out he's actually commandeered a destroyer, with which he rescues the British at Dunkirk before sailing it single handed to Pearl Harbour where it's converted into an aircraft carrier so he can go to bomb Tokyo.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
    It's the 'US saves the world' narrative that I often encounter that needs qualifying. I hope the Dunkirk film makers don't try to squeeze it in there too.
    I can't image why they would...Dunkirk has nothing to do with the US, the British Army was pushed off the continent without American help.

As far as armament loans go, what do you expect a neutral county to do?
    Obviously it benefited America, it got key industries ready for when America entered the war.
    And lend lease was a better deal than you'd receive anywhere else.

As far as the film topic goes, as usual when discussing war films that have nothing to do with the US (BoB, The Dam Busters, etc.) Some posters here somehow manage to turn it into another anti-American rant. Thanks for not letting me down...
    Last edited by J Boyle; 12th June 2016 at 00:01.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Touchy!

No one is ranting, I am not Anti-American. You can't imagine they would.. based on previous form, I can. You know as well as I do that to get funding for films like this the producer will ask the writers to include 'American interest'. I was just expressing hope that they got around this in this case.
    Last edited by Beermat; 12th June 2016 at 09:59.

There are plenty of very dramatic aspects to the evacuation for the screenplay to delve into,no need for special inserts to include many nations.The sacrifice of the rearguard action,civvy small boat crews, and who knows what else can be included to make the re telling very personal and emotive. And the start of a long period of captivity for some of the BEF.
    It is going to be very interesting to see how this film turns out and like some other posters I am impressed that the director has chosen live action against CGI.

No, you misunderstand. I KNOW the story makes for a good movie in its own right. But generations of US film makers have been hampered by the studios who believe that American audiences will engage less if there isn't an American on screen in a good guy role. This has given us everything from Steve McQueen in The Great Escape to the whole concept of Memphis Belle being shifted from a time-served Lancaster crew to a US one very early in development.

Then there is the problem of this being a retreat. Hard for the Americans to 'get' unless there's a heroic American saving our cowardly asses, and other animals. I am not saying this is how this one will go - but there is a precedent, and a risk. It is a possibility! I certainly expect an heroic American (or an Irishman, I was told by a US producer this will do) in there somewhere, for the reasons above.

This indeed does not add to the story for us Brits, but US film industry belief is that it will for Americans. And big budget films are made to strict formulae. Any pitch will raise the question '..and where's the American'? I have done some pitching to the US - this is from experience.
    Last edited by Beermat; 12th June 2016 at 13:41.

Hard for the Americans to 'get' unless there's a heroic American saving our cowardly asses, and other animals.
    I think you've just strayed into lazy generalisation territory there. I know plenty of Americans who 'get it'.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Of course, if people had bothered to just use Wikipedia, they would find that the principle cast doesn't include a single "Yank".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_(2017_film)#Cast

A bit late to start chucking in American actors and characters when they've started filming....
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

No no no.

I am not generalising. I am talking entirely of the perception that the US industry has. Not my perception!! Because they are aiming for a maximum audience, their job is to generalise as accurately as they can.

This is a very specific thing about how films get 'greenlighted' or not and it comes from the horse's mouth. I do not want an argument anti/pro US, neither am I making one!

If no characters in a Warner Bros. movie are American then it is a negotiating triumph for Emma Thomas and Chris Nolan.

There IS an Irishman in there.
    Last edited by Beermat; 12th June 2016 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aeroclub View Post
    It's actually going to be a re-edit of Pearl Harbour. You know the story where a yank in the RAF crashes his P.40 in France and he goes missing for a time. It turns out he's actually commandeered a destroyer, with which he rescues the British at Dunkirk before sailing it single handed to Pearl Harbour where it's converted into an aircraft carrier so he can go to bomb Tokyo.

John
    And finds an Enigma machine in the ship that he has commandeered.

If no characters in a Warner Bros. movie are American then it is a negotiating triumph for Emma Thompson and Chris Nolan.
    I f you are going to start spreading scurrilous rumours then that's up to you.

But I think Mr Nolan may share his bed with Emma Thomas rather than Mrs Gregg Wise.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Oops! Wrong Emma Edited!
    Last edited by Beermat; 12th June 2016 at 18:20.

What is it with crashing planes into the sea/water for movies. I've heard tales of 2 different replica Spitfire builds commissioned just for them to be crashed. Unfortunately I don't know which movies they are for. ??

Crashing fibreglass replicas is better than crashing a real one.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I reckon the splash might hide the replica-ness as they come apart, that's why replicas might be crashed into the sea/ water as opposed to land?
    Last edited by Beermat; 12th June 2016 at 18:19.

I dunno, this looked pretty good....

https://youtu.be/gTv_4DPQUnQ?t=4m12s
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Stuka model pictured on set in France. Hope they didn't pay $5m for that, would have expected something a bit more substantial for that money.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rway-time.html
    The usual Mail inaccuracies confusing the 'Yakfire' for a Spitfire, calling them fighter jets etc.

According to the Daily Fail... :

"Sky's the limit: A Spitfire plane was seen to fly dramatically over the beach"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3528BD3C00000578-3636848-image-a-70_1465670396604.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	246480

That article is going for the prize for the most 'fails' in a Daily Fail article!

It has 'Aircrafts', fighter planes dropping bombs on the beaches, Jets and a misidentified Spitfire - and Operation Dynamo was a 'Nickname'.

Anybody else think the Yakfire looks like a Blackburn Roc?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roc.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	246484
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

There is something wrong with that Spit...I just can't put my finger on it though.

I have no inside knowledge but from a fixed camera mounted on to the upper surface of wing pointed at just the cockpit area, I imagine it could look pretty realistic...bale out etc.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    There is something wrong with that Spit...I just can't put my finger on it though.
    No, it's fine. Apart from the shape of the wings, fuselage, engine and tail ...

Ian

Anybody else think the Yakfire looks like a Blackburn Roc?
    That is a Roc, but could just as well be a Skua.

Wonder what the Ton class MCM is meant to be? They did look very much like the B/YMS minesweepers built in America, but since the first one wasn't launched until 1941 (12 years before the first Ton was launched) I'm guessing they will take anything painted battleship grey... So much for accuracy.

Sunderland... everybody's gotta be somewhere, I suppose
    I believe I made a plastic 1/72nd scale model of a German Luftwafee when I was about ten, had been stung by two wasps, and had found pain relief through the use of that nice polystyrene cement. Made a change from chewing my lead soldiers.

I considered becoming a journalist when I left school, back in the 60s, but in those days editors required that facts be checked, which spoiled a good story.

Spitfires over Dunkirk, the Netherlands

For those of you wondering where Warner Brothers will be shooting for their latest movie, a TRA has just been issued in the Netherlands. See http://www.darpas.nl/wp-content/uplo...IJsselmeer.pdf, page 3 lists the aircraft.

Page 3out 6pagina (including cover page) ILTLuchtvaartVergunningenDatum13 June 2016b.binnen temporary area limitation ijsselmeer may flights are operated with: aircraft by type Spitfire MK1met registratiesG-AIST and G-CHUK, type Spitfire MKVmet registration G CISV, type Hispano Bu-chon HA 1112 M1Lmet registration G-AWHK, type Bristol Blenheim with registration G-BPIVen the typeYAKmet registratieN699DP -a aircraft of the type AS350 benefit Vande veiligheidmet registration G-WHST, or a similar replacement aircraft -a aircraft the type AS355 benefit of movie recording blemish registration G-OHCP, or a similar replacementluchtvaartuig;-50lichteonbemandeluchtvaartuigenzoalsvermeldinheta andeInspec-tieLeefomgevingenTransportaangeleverdeoperationele plan;-luchtvaartuigenvanennaardeVliehorsrangenacoördinat ie;

For G-CHUK read G-CGUK...X4650

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

According to an article in last weekend's newspaper, a (replica) Spitfire might be launched by a catapult to portray a ditching.

Edit: According to the paperwork the movie is called 'Bodega Bay'. Nothing for us to get excited about then...
    Last edited by Archer; 20th June 2016 at 08:35.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

I'm becoming much more interested in this as time goes on!

I had assumed that it would just be about the troops on the beach, but this amount of aerial filming sounds as if there's to be a much heavier warbird content than I realised. Bring it on!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    According to an article in last weekend's newspaper, a (replica) Spitfire might be launched by a catapult to portray a ditching.
    Link here (en Francais)

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo....e-1025643.html
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Will the aircraft be based at Lelystad during this period?
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can; motto RAF 19 Squadron)

tracesofwar.com/

Thread Information